• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Premature Lap...

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I thought I'd keep this under wraps until I had made some progress and am amazed at how well I am handling it.

About a month ago, I began to notice that I wasn't feeling well. Slowly I began to notice that it was always shortly after I'd come in from having a smoke. Hmmmmm.

So, when I moved into the main house from the bungalow, three months ago, I maintained the "No smoking" policy in the house and setup 2 little areas to puff, one in the carport and one out in a garden area. This alone, got me from 1-1/2 packs a day to a pack every day and a half. So... feeling emboldened... I took the plunge...

I have now passed the 36 hour mark, and am on my second patch and have not had a cigarette since 8:20am yesterday. That's a first in OVER 30 years...

I have the strangest feeling I am gonna do this.... and... I am already feeling better and no longer short of breath... go figure, eh?

I do miss the behavior... or going outside for a smoke (the ritual)... but simply have no desire for a cigarette.

Last edited:

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I thought I'd keep this under wraps until I had made some progress and am amazed at how well I am handling it.

About a month ago, I began to notice that I wasn't feeling well. Slowly I began to notice that it was always shortly after I'd come in from having a smoke. Hmmmmm.

So, when I move into the main house from the bungalow, I maintained the "No smoking" policy in the house and setup 2 little areas to puff, one in the carport and one out in a garden area. This alone, got me from 1-1/2 packs a day to a pack every day and a half. So... feeling emboldened... I took the plunge...

I have now passed the 43 hour mark, and am on my second patch and have not had a cigarette since 8:20am yesterday. That's a first in OVER 30 years...

I have the strangest feeling I am gonna do this.... and... I am already feeling better and no longer short of breath... go figure, eh?

I do miss the behavior... or going outside for a smoke (the ritual)... but simply have no desire for a cigarette.
I wish you the best of luck! A wonderful decision. :)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

The best reason for sharing this is that you'll get support when you aren't handling it so well.

Go Dude!

And when you realize that you aren't super mouse, you are a non-smoker who is still addicted to nicotine, share that too. Because we'll be here for you then as well.

Go Dude!

Tom

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac

So, when I moved into the main house from the bungalow, three months ago, I maintained the "No smoking" policy in the house and setup 2 little areas to puff, one in the carport and one out in a garden area. This alone, got me from 1-1/2 packs a day to a pack every day and a half. So... feeling emboldened... I took the plunge...

I have now passed the 43 hour mark, and am on my second patch and have not had a cigarette since 8:20am yesterday. That's a first in OVER 30 years...

You have my "support" if you need it!

Any addiction is tough to break.

Take me for example - I am NOT addicted to these forums - I could stop any moment but I choose not to!

Wishing you all the best.

:)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I hope it works out for you. I used to smoke, but only about half a pack a day. I weaned down a bit and then quit. I had tried the gum earlier and found it only kept me hooked on cigarettes. But do whatever works.

And avoid excessively stressful situations if possible. Stress triggers a desire for cigarettes. At least it did with me.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Hang in there even when you don't think you can resist. Haven't had a smoke since July of 1973 but I still find myself wanting one every now and then. Don't give in; you'll thank yourself over and over again as you get older and don't have to lug around an O2 tank in Walmart...just sayin'.

Rational Agnostic

Congrats, and good luck!

Bob the Unbeliever

A cause worthy of celebration, by anyone's measure.

One Day At A Time. To modify what Captain Kirk once said?

"I will not smoke a cigarette today. I will not concern myself with tomorrow. Today, I won't smoke."

Good Luck! You got this.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I stopped and started quite a few times until one day I had the STRONG thought I WANT TO LIVE. That was when I quit. Other have not had to get to that place. But whatever the path, the destination is well worth it.
I wish I could tell the other side of the story, but the mods are still talking about it. The weirdest thing for me was to finally feeling nauseous at the thought of a cigarette and then put it together that they were the direct cause as to why I have been feeling "down a quart" for the last month or so. After 36 hours... I'm not quite ready for a marathon just yet, but I no longer feel icky.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The best reason for sharing this is that you'll get support when you aren't handling it so well.

Go Dude!

And when you realize that you aren't super mouse, you are a non-smoker who is still addicted to nicotine, share that too. Because we'll be here for you then as well.

Go Dude!

Tom
I am well aware of that Tom. It's trading one addiction for another. Sorta like methadone for heroin users. I don't think it is going to be a problemo.. It will sure be a test of how mindful I am :) At least I decided to finally have compassion for myself. I'll keep y'all posted.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
You have my "support" if you need it!

Any addiction is tough to break.

Take me for example - I am NOT addicted to these forums - I could stop any moment but I choose not to!

Wishing you all the best.

:)

Why, I stopped three times in the last two weeks. Easy-peasy..

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I stopped and started quite a few times until one day I had the STRONG thought I WANT TO LIVE. That was when I quit. Other have not had to get to that place. But whatever the path, the destination is well worth it.

I quit the night before I went to court for the last time. I knew if I could quit them I could do anything...still can't slam dunk a basketball, though.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Congrats Paul! I quit about 2 and 1/2 years ago.

I used the patch to get me over the hump, then switched to nicotine gum, then switched to non-nicotine gum supplemented with nicotine tablets for those "screw this I need a smoke!" moments.

Nice thing about the gum is it gives you something to look forward to after eating, same as a smoke used to. In fact I still use chewing gum (non-nicotine) for the same reason now.

Another thing that helped me a lot, possibly the most, was adopting a "Nothing matters right now except not smoking" attitude:

--- can't find my keys? Doesn't matter. Nothing matters except not smoking.
--- got cut off in traffic? Doesn't matter. Nothing matters except not smoking.
--- the forums are a mess? forgot to charge my phone? could have sworn I had another $20? the "bistro" at the coffee shop apparently lost the recipe for a "large hot water" again? NONE OF IT MATTERS BECAUSE RIGHT NOW NOTHING MATTERS EXCEPT NOT SMOKING.

And at the end of the day I could look back and ask myself, "What did I do today? Know what I did today? I didn't smoke today, that's what I did today"., so it was a good day.

Good luck Man. If I can do it you can do it. :thumbsup:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Congrats Paul! I quit about 2 and 1/2 years ago.

I used the patch to get me over the hump, then switched to nicotine gum, then switched to non-nicotine gum supplemented with nicotine tablets for those "screw this I need a smoke!" moments.

Nice thing about the gum is it gives you something to look forward to after eating, same as a smoke used to. In fact I still use chewing gum (non-nicotine) for the same reason now.

Another thing that helped me a lot, possibly the most, was adopting a "Nothing matters right now except not smoking" attitude:

--- can't find my keys? Doesn't matter. Nothing matters except not smoking.
--- got cut off in traffic? Doesn't matter. Nothing matters except not smoking.
--- the forums are a mess? forgot to charge my phone? could have sworn I had another $20? the "bistro" at the coffee shop apparently lost the recipe for a "large hot water" again? NONE OF IT MATTERS BECAUSE RIGHT NOW NOTHING MATTERS EXCEPT NOT SMOKING.

And at the end of the day I could look back and ask myself, "What did I do today? Know what I did today? I didn't smoke today, that's what I did today"., so it was a good day.

Good luck Man. If I can do it you can do it. :thumbsup:
That, my friend, gets you the much coveted "Awesome Possum" Award. Excellent post. and... Thanks!