• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Praying

Curious George

Veteran Member
Where do u think the old testament came from
A tribe of people, influenced by other cultures, collecting stories for a couple thousand years.

Which part of the old testament are you referring? It is, as far as I know one of our first attempts at documentary. But obviously without the need to get historical details perfectly accurate, but with exceptional attention to keep the wording precise.

I wondering what do u do if your in trouble who do u pray to.
I don't. If I am in a situation where things look grim, there is a problem, I am worried, whatever... I look to actual solutions I can pursue through real world actions. And if there are none, I make my peace with that fact. If something can't be changed, it can't be changed. I make the best of it and move on however I can. Wishing (or praying as you call it) won't change the reality. In fact, it can be counter-productive in being able to accept things and move on.

Do u believe in a souk
It's not a matter of belief. Nothing suggests there's a soul, or a supernatural. There's no evidence supporting it, or any logical train of thought that suggests it should exist. If you an demonstrate it, I am open to that, but if you can't...

Bob the Unbeliever

When I'm in trouble, I look for ways to get out of trouble.

Indeed. In another venue, someone asked a teacher "what good is learning Algebra?"

And I am very happy that I did learn Algebra--whenever I'm in trouble.

Why? Because Algebra thought me how to think about Problem Solving: it taught me logical processes, and it also taught me that if the solution isn't obvious at first glance? Re-arranging the elements of the issue(s) in question, can often reveal an obvious solution, such as "X=42".

So. I do not pray. I try, instead, to remember the lessons I learned in ... Algebra. :D

Curious George

Veteran Member
Indeed. In another venue, someone asked a teacher "what good is learning Algebra?"

And I am very happy that I did learn Algebra--whenever I'm in trouble.

Why? Because Algebra thought me how to think about Problem Solving: it taught me logical processes, and it also taught me that if the solution isn't obvious at first glance? Re-arranging the elements of the issue(s) in question, can often reveal an obvious solution, such as "X=42".

So. I do not pray. I try, instead, to remember the lessons I learned in ... Algebra. :D
Problem is that once you discern x=42 you have often forgotten the question.

Thumper

Thank the gods I'm an atheist
"I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!" ~ Homer Simpson

Thumper

Thank the gods I'm an atheist
Why would someone pray? If there was a god, wouldn't you be asking him to change his plans for the entire universe just for you? That's silly.

But we know that prayer really doesn't work. Far too much evidence against it. If prayer worked and any religion actually had the right belief system, there would be some measure that would single out this group ... longer lives, less infant mortality, better health, more wealth, something. And yet, such a group does not exist. The incident of any of these measures is the same whether talking about Hindu or Christians.

The only consistently measurable difference seems to be that highly secular countries have better average health, less teenage pregnancy, and lower crime rates. Go figure.

Deidre

I pray to God for strength, mainly...or for peace in any situation. I pray that things will work out, and however they work out, that I'll be given strength to handle them. I don't really pray for 'things,' etc. But, rather just the strength and peace to deal with difficult times, if they come.

oranssi

The infinite zero
What if believing is at it's core, praying?

It is common sense that praying is believing, but could this be other way around, I wonder...
Of course this is a question of semantics but even so.

Believing in whatever, could indeed be a form of praying.. to math, chemistry, physics. The thing is that senses can elude human reality instead of perceiving the noumenon itself. So we believe in our eyes, nose, skin, ears, tongue and reason. Most of the time we believe right, but that is only because every person believes in the same collective spectrum of input.

I guess everyone prays at their own pace and manner. :rolleyes:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel. No one else cares.
No one else? What about Joe Pesci?

George Carlin said:
You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci. Two reasons: First of all, I think he's a good actor, okay? To me, that counts. Second, he looks like a guy who can get things done. Joe Pesci doesn't **** around. In fact, Joe Pesci came through on a couple of things that God was having trouble with.
A quote by George Carlin