• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post the name of your best debater on RF.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
While I appreciate the vote, I am likely one of the worst debaters on RF.

Out of the 32,731 members on the forum, I think my ranking is right around 31,655, and it's likely because 1,075 of them never posted.
This is because you're more of a conversationalist than a debater.
And I prefer it this way.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

Out of the 32,731 members on the forum, I think my ranking is right around 31,655, and it's likely because 1,075 of them never posted.

I hope this doesn't come off as unkind, but I consider you like a learned Japanese master who has a teenage pupil and wants them to figure out some kind of life lesson, but rather than tells them, makes them wake up every morning at 4 am and go through about 6 months of brutal difficulty on the body to figure out this life lesson. Then when the teenager finally figures it out, you smile and say "Yes. That's what I meant all along."

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What qualities make one a great debater?

I think it is one who listens and considers the opposing position and responds directly to points without belittling their opponent or their position. It is one who isn't easily swayed but will concede points when it has been demonstrated their position may be incorrect or less than correct. It is one who remains respectful to their opponent regardless of how heated the debate gets and does not resort to ad hominem attacks or misrepresentation of their opponents position.

While I don't often engage in debate, one of my most memorable debates was with @Mestemia, and sadly, I don't recall the topic. The reason it stands out in my mind is that I appreciated the style in which he engaged. Though he didn't back down, he remained respectful rather than being antagonistic and did not resort to any sort of personal attack. While I don't recall the topic, or who, if anyone, won the debate, I do recall that he earned my respect in that exchange.

So yeah, my vote is for @Mestemia.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I'm with you, Salix. I try to avoid debating.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'm with you, Salix. I avoid debating. I don't know what your motive for that is, but most -- not all, but most -- debating strikes me as two or more people pretending to know more than they know, being dishonest about the merits of each other's positions, etc. etc. etc.

I see that as kind of the point myself. On the internet, knowledge of a vast array of subjects is a rare thing. So a simplistic way of tackling a debate is:

OP names subject

People pick side. People make arguments for their side.

The winner is decided by the crowd based on who was the best arguer, or who knew the most about the subject, or a combination of both.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I see that as kind of the point myself. On the internet, knowledge of a vast array of subjects is a rare thing. So a simplistic way of tackling a debate is:

OP names subject

People pick side. People make arguments for their side.

The winner is decided by the crowd based on who was the best arguer, or who knew the most about the subject, or a combination of both.
Another problem is how to judge the quality & winner of a debate.
I don't know about any other posters here, but I judge solely based
upon agreement with me.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Another problem is how to judge the quality & winner of a debate.
I don't know about any other posters here, but I judge solely based
upon agreement with me.

I judge based on crowd consensus, and since there isn't really a nonbiased way of asking the crowd in very many formats... I go by the number of frubals on each post.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I judge based on crowd consensus, and since there isn't really a nonbiased way of asking the crowd in very many formats... I go by the number of frubals on each post.
My system is similar.
I judge based upon the number of frubals from me.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Don't confuse compulsion with kwality.

True. But I see quality as more for discussions. When you debate, if you want a two person exchange, it does require an element of compulsion. I see debating as a sport, and unless that sport is Chess, there's a bit more to it than posting something that your professor would give an A+ on.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
True. But I see quality as more for discussions. When you debate, if you want a two person exchange, it does require an element of compulsion. I see debating as a sport, and unless you're playing Chess, there's a bit more to it than posting something that your professor would give an A+ on.
One big problem with debates is that we all have
different premises, eg, values, which drive our goals.
We end up often talking debating past each other.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
One big problem with debates is that we all have
different premises, eg, values, which drive our goals.
We end up often talking debating past each other.

Things do go very fast paced on this site. There's a lot of traffic and threads usually mostly clear out of most viewing boxes every couple of days.

On slower sites, where threads often last two weeks, you do see people make posts asking only things like "What do you mean?" a lot. And a lot of those posts. And things move more slowly.

I'm not sure if there's a better answer to such a thing though. I don't have it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Things do go very fast paced on this site. There's a lot of traffic and threads usually mostly clear out of most viewing boxes every couple of days.

On slower sites, where threads often last two weeks, you do see people make posts asking only things like "What do you mean?" a lot. And a lot of those posts. And things move more slowly.

I'm not sure if there's a better answer to such a thing though. I don't have it.
My personal answer is to try to avoid competing (ie, debating).
Interesting conversation is best.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
My personal answer is to try to avoid competing (ie, debating).
Interesting conversation is best.

My first year here I focused a lot on self-improvement in my threads as my main focus as I had some issues from a very large caffeine crash that's taken an extended recovery. I've kind of figured out most of the stuff I needed to know, so now I tend to like the leisure threads best. You probably know which threads I'm talking about because you always see me in them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My first year here I focused a lot on self-improvement in my threads as my main focus as I had some issues from a very large caffeine crash that's taken an extended recovery. I've kind of figured out most of the stuff I needed to know, so now I tend to like the leisure threads best. You probably know which threads I'm talking about because you always see me in them.
Gotta have fun.
Good for mental health.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Me too. I shouldn't be on any such list, as I would never vote for myself as being anything other than a naughty imp. :imp: