• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post the name of your best debater on RF.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Someone hypothesised once that Jews are good at debating because they argue with their god (remember Tevye?).
Forget Tevye, check this out:

"...Rabbi Eliezer then said to them: If the halakha is in accordance with my opinion, Heaven will prove it. A Divine Voice emerged from Heaven and said: Why are you differing with Rabbi Eliezer, as the halakha is in accordance with his opinion in every place that he expresses an opinion?

Rabbi Yehoshua stood on his feet and said: It is written: “It is not in heaven” (Deuteronomy 30:12). The Gemara asks: What is the relevance of the phrase “It is not in heaven” in this context? Rabbi Yirmeya says: Since the Torah was already given at Mount Sinai, we do not regard a Divine Voice, as You already wrote at Mount Sinai, in the Torah: “After a majority to incline” (Exodus 23:2). Since the majority of Rabbis disagreed with Rabbi Eliezer’s opinion, the halakha is not ruled in accordance with his opinion. The Gemara relates: Years after, Rabbi Natan encountered Elijah the prophet and said to him: What did the Holy One, Blessed be He, do at that time, when Rabbi Yehoshua issued his declaration? Elijah said to him: The Holy One, Blessed be He, smiled and said: My children have triumphed over Me; My children have triumphed over Me." (Bava Metzia 59b)

@Vouthon

One of the most erudite posters here, but also very fair-minded and respectful of other opinions and always engages in good-faith discussion (even when other people do the exact opposite).

Always makes an informed argument, that might be a bit verbose for some, but I like learning new things and that often requires a few words :D

I usually agree with him, but on a few issues we have disagreed on his arguments have always been both rational and very fair.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Where do I start?

Tum, Augustus, Harel, Vouthon, Sunstone, A Digital Artist, The Emperor of Mankind (I miss him), rosends, exchemist. I guess there are others.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Polymath, Left Coast and many MANY other [please don't think that just because I am not including your name I don't think you are on par with them], also there was a Christian member who left. I can't remember his username, but he created topic about trying to prove God's existence through logical arguments. I think HE was the best!

But seriously, everyone here is just awesome. I feel like a brain-dead veg as compared to you guys.

That's very sweet, I appreciate it. :blush:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
@Vouthon

One of the most erudite posters here, but also very fair-minded and respectful of other opinions and always engages in good-faith discussion (even when other people do the exact opposite).

Always makes an informed argument, that might be a bit verbose for some, but I like learning new things and that often requires a few words :D

I usually agree with him, but on a few issues we have disagreed on his arguments have always been both rational and very fair.

That's funny, because I was about to mention both you and him in my short list. :)

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
People don't really debate on the RF they argue a specific point and generally ignore points that apply but they don't want to tackle. In a debate new idea's are to be expected and countered and then new idea's again. You can't keep repeating the same counter and you can't keep posting the same idea.

In general the RF is good at getting a different view point especially at first but after you been here a while, you'll know your opponents argument as well as your own.

This is SO true!