• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope Francis: "There Is No Hell"

Axe Elf

Prophet
I'm afraid A.E. is riding the horse of wishful thinking here. But that's okay, I've never met a Christian who wasn't compelled to do a little cherry picking from time to time to keep their theological needs intact.

Not that I don't like cherries, but I'm not sure what you think is being "picked" here--and from among what? Picking out the truth from the nonsense seems like a good thing to do, and I'm just glad that the current Pope seems to understand hell in the Biblical sense, rather than the pop culture sense.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Who said there is no such place? Of course there is such a place. It's the incinerator you get tossed in if you weren't created for salvation--the lake of fire, the second death.
Excuse for thinking you agreed with the Pope's statement that "there is no hell" when you said "Way to go, Pope Francis! Maybe he will finally bring the Catholic church around to following the Bible more closely."

So, just what were you referring to when you said "Way to go, Pope Francis!"?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Excuse for thinking you agreed with the Pope's statement that "there is no hell" when you said "Way to go, Pope Francis! Maybe he will finally bring the Catholic church around to following the Bible more closely."

So, just what were you referring to when you said "Way to go, Pope Francis!"?

I think they're talking about Annihilationism - Wikipedia

Axe Elf

Prophet

So, just what were you referring to when you said "Way to go, Pope Francis!"?.

I'm just glad that the current Pope seems to understand hell in the Biblical sense, rather than the pop culture sense.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is what I believe.. except there is a Hell, but it disappears to passive Jesus.
What does this mean, it "disappears to passive Jesus"? Do you mean to pacify him? Obviously, Jesus was not a passificist, since he tossed the tables of the money changers over and chased them with a whip, so I'm not sure what you mean.

MixedMartialArts

So, first, the end of the article it says Pope did not make that statement and that the author is known for making stuff up. (I’m not Catholic myself)

Secondly, the word hell originally in Hebrew ‘sheol’ means grave, dirt, resting place for the dead.

A loving God would not have an eternal suffering oven. But, a loving God would annihilate something.

If it’s all true, then each person must answer for themselves, do they like life, being a live, and desire to live forever.

Some emphatically say no, and some yes.

That’s the way it’s suppose to work, according to the Bible.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I'm just glad that the current Pope seems to understand hell in the Biblical sense, rather than the pop culture sense.
But in as much as he was replying to the question asked by his atheist friend Scalfari,

"Your Holiness, in our previous meeting you told me that our species will disappear in a certain moment and that God, still out of his creative force, will create new species. You have never spoken to me about the souls who died in sin and will go to hell to suffer it for eternity. You have however spoken to me of good souls, admitted to the contemplation of God. But what about bad souls? Where are they punished?"​

And there's no indication of any sense of hell in the "Biblical sense,"---neither Scalfari, nor the Pope made any reference to the Bible---it's pretty obvious that the Pope was referring to hell in the "pop culture sense."

In any case, I've grown weary of this exchange and will let you have the last word if you wish.

Skwim

Veteran Member
He actually isn't speaking for Catholicism here, but for himself.
Really! I always thought that when the Pope spoke about matters regarding religious belief he was speaking for the Catholic point of view. But you say he wasn't. So Just how does one tell when he's speaking for his specific brand of Christian religion?

David1967

Premium Member
I'm afraid A.E. is riding the horse of wishful thinking here. But that's okay, I've never met a Christian who wasn't compelled to do a little cherry picking from time to time to keep their theological needs intact.

If we (Christians in general) are completely honest with ourselves, we all "cherry pick" to some extent. Proof? How many denominations do we have?

MonkeyFire

What does this mean, it "disappears to passive Jesus"? Do you mean to pacify him? Obviously, Jesus was not a passificist, since he tossed the tables of the money changers over and chased them with a whip, so I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm pretty sure the first commandment is not to kill

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure the first commandment is not to kill
What does that have to do with being a pacifist? Jesus was not a pacifist. He stood up for what he saw as the truth and defended it, even violently when you look at the story of the moneychangers in the temple. Whipping people and flipping over the tables is hardly being a pacifist in any sense of the word.

Besides, the first commandment to not kill, is clearly not the taking of any life, considering all the commandments to put people to death for not following the rules that follow that, as well as the sanctioning of the genocidal wars to slaughter and kill all the the Canaanites; men, women, children, babies, cattle, and so forth. That god on the pages of the same book which says not to kill, orders a whole lot of killing.

That god sure didn't seem so pacifist either. On the contrary, it sounds much more like a really powerful child having a temper tantrum with nukes. "You didn't worship me, now I'm going to incinerate all of you, down to your little precious children. You'll see! I am God! I am! I am! I am!" Right? (It's so much easier to understand these are primitives imaging a god that looks like one of their warlords, than it does to believe that actually reflects the true reality and nature of God).

Last edited:

MonkeyFire

What does that have to do with being a pacifist? Jesus was not a pacifist. He stood up for what he saw as the truth and defended it, even violently when you look at the story of the moneychangers in the temple. Whipping people and flipping over the tables is hardly being a pacifist in any sense of the word.

Besides, the first commandment to not kill, is clearly not the taking of any life, considering all the commandments to put people to death for not following the rules that follow that, as well as the sanctioning of the genocidal wars to slaughter and kill all the the Canaanites; men, women, children, babies, cattle, and so forth. That god on the pages of the same book which says not to kill, orders a whole lot of killing.

That god sure didn't seem so pacifist either. On the contrary, it sounds much more like a really powerful child having a temper tantrum with nukes. "You didn't worship me, now I'm going to incinerate all of you, down to your little precious children. You'll see! I am God! I am! I am! I am!" Right? (It's so much easier to understand these are primitives imaging a god that looks like one of their warlords, than it does to believe that actually reflects the true reality and nature of God).

God commanded Adam to stay away from good and evil.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I always thought that when the Pope spoke about matters regarding religious belief he was speaking for the Catholic point of view. But you say he wasn't. So Just how does one tell when he's speaking for his specific brand of Christian religion?
A consideration of the venue/format of what he is saying (encyclical, papal address, interview, private conversation, etc.), the force he gives it, and the historic body of teachings of the Church.

Given that this was a private conversation, no authoritative force was given to the statement, and the idea that hell doesn't exist contradicts the current catechism (and the long history of doctrinal teachings and Sacred Tradition that the catechism is based upon), it is fairly obvious that if he has said what was reported, it wasn't a teaching to the Church.

John Paul the Great's statement, in 1999, that heaven and hell are states of mind and/or being was similarly paraded around, though with far less possible controversy than saying that hell doesn't exist. That is a valid understanding of what the Church teaches, but the Church doesn't teach it.

Neb

He was just saying that because he didn't wanna go where all his colleagues are right now, i.e., in HELL.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Nothing you said was valid.
Hahaha! Which is why you didn't address anything? Yet, you still responded, abeight with unrelated gibberish?

Jesus was not a pacifist. Do pacifists flip over the tables of money changers and chase them around with a whip? Is that story not in the Bible, twice? How specifically is this not a perfectly valid observation?

"And making a whip of cords, he drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and oxen. And he poured out the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables. And he told those who sold the pigeons, "Take these things away; do not make my Father's house a house of trade.""

Is the above story an example of pacifism to you?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
He was just saying that because he didn't wanna go where all his colleagues are right now, i.e., in HELL.
Why do you continue to judge others whereas Jesus taught "judge ye not"? How can you claim to be a Christian if you continue to ignore what Jesus taught? You post as if it seems that you are much more hate-filled than love-filled.