• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope Francis: there is no contradiction in the fact that priests can get married

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It could be. Their previous policy made it so healthy straight males would not want to be priests. That led to aa high percentage of gays, and pedophiles trying to become priests. Foolishly they tried to blame gay men even thought their own study said that was not the problem.
This led to a very dangerous drift.
Because if you exclude heterosexual males from that selection, the people who aren't interested in women (or men) because they are "too old" for their taste, pedophiles will show up. With horrible consequences, as we have seen.

What do you guys think?
The most conservative Catholics are already protesting because of this clear stance, even if it was said during an interview.
And so it's an opinion, and not something ex cathedra.
Bible says:
But the Spirit says expressly that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to seducing spirits and doctrines of demons, through the hypocrisy of men who speak lies, branded in their own conscience as with a hot iron; forbidding marriage and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.
1 Tim. 4:1-3

There should be no reason to think priests can't marry, if they are really conservative disciples of Jesus ("Christian"). But, maybe they are actually something else.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
The young priest was worldly. Too worldly. So I told my friends and family: "Do you think he is a good priest? I know he can do so many things, but if you ask me, he has no vocation at all. Just look at his eyes. He wants the world, he wants love. And why shouldn't he?".
Great example

Hence the importance to select your Master (Teacher) wisely. If your aim is Spiritual life then better select a "real" Spiritual Master. If your aim is worldly life better select a worldly Master. Not all are born to lead a purely Spiritual life

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
It could be. Their previous policy made it so healthy straight males would not want to be priests. That led to aa high percentage of gays, and pedophiles trying to become priests. Foolishly they tried to blame gay men even thought their own study said that was not the problem.
The straight males just impregnated the nuns. I wonder how they dealt with that. Probably by blaming the nuns.

PearlSeeker

What do you guys think?
The most conservative Catholics are already protesting because of this clear stance, even if it was said during an interview.
Nothing wrong with this opinion. Maybe this will be a necessity one day. There is a growing deficit of priests.

GardenLady

I'm not longer a Catholic, but was for many decades. I see a benefit to having married priests. Specifically, there are many who would likely be willing to serve the church and its people if they could be married (and have a living wage to support their family). Given the shortage of priests, that might be helpful. And frankly, I would never go to an unmarried and ostensibly celibate priest for advice on marriage or family life. Overall, I think the issue of a married priesthood is really a financial issue.

Reactions: Vee

Vee

Premium Member

What do you guys think?

I've never seen anything in the bible imposing celibacy on anyone.
Many religions have married men in the same position a priest occupies in the Catholic Church and that doesn't seem to pose any problem. I have no idea where this rule came from but it might be one of the reasons so few men want to become priests these days. It has to be hard. It's one thing to remain alone by choice, but a very different one when it's imposed, and for a lifetime.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Would they refer to her as El Mama? ;)
"La Mama."
I've never seen anything in the bible imposing celibacy on anyone.
Many religions have married men in the same position a priest occupies in the Catholic Church and that doesn't seem to pose any problem. I have no idea where this rule came from but it might be one of the reasons so few men want to become priests these days. It has to be hard. It's one thing to remain alone by choice, but a very different one when it's imposed, and for a lifetime.
From my understanding, and I could be wrong, Rabbis are often required to be married. Part of undergoing a full life experience. It makes it difficult to have empathy with the troubles of married people if one has never been married.

Vee

Premium Member
"La Mama."

From my understanding, and I could be wrong, Rabbis are often required to be married. Part of undergoing a full life experience. It makes it difficult to have empathy with the troubles of married people if one has never been married.
Makes a great deal of sense to me.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
"La Mama."
<facepalm> Of course!

Just remembered. At an Episcopalian church I attended briefly, the Minister was a woman and was referred to as "Mother". Apparently they followed the Catholic practice of calling their male Ministers "Father". I saw the logic, but it always seemed odd to me.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Is the church in Europe still viable?
Probably. However, it clearly became irrelevant. Just look at Italy, allegedly very Catholic, and their birth rates. What is more likely: that Italians overwhelmingly adopted absitence, or that they just stopped listening to the church?

The problem of the Catholic church is a sort of catch 22. If they agree with all Catholics here demand, then they defeat themselves. And that is why I strongly hope it stays like that. Or even become more conservative.

so that it will occupy its the well deserve place currently occupied by Apollo, Thor, and Jupiter. I think a special placeholder for the Catholic God should be reserved in the Pantheon, in Rome.

ciao

- viole

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Probably. However, it clearly became irrelevant. Just look at Italy, allegedly very Catholic, and their birth rates. What is more likely: that Italians overwhelmingly adopted absitence, or that they just stopped listening to the church?
I saw a survey a couple of decades ago of Catholics that showed over 95% don't agree with the Church's teaching against birth control.

The crazy thing also is that they don't want us to use birth control and also not get abortions! What about that combo don't they understand???

Unfortunately, this is what we tend to get with old white men like me making the rules as bishops.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The reason for celibacy is purely financial, I think. It was introduced to protect the property of the Church, also to prevent nepotism.
Agreed. You forgot that priests are supported by the church, and if they had wives and children, the church would need to support them, too.

Bill Maher commented last week on the irony of the celibacy doctrine to prevent kids from getting church money and are now having to rethink that as the money got to them eventually in the way of damages following settlements.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The straight males just impregnated the nuns. I wonder how they dealt with that. Probably by blaming the nuns.

Additionally, some crimes of sexual assault were likely passed off as the actions of incubi. Some authors speculate that rapists may have attributed the rapes of sleeping men and women to demons to escape punishment. Robert Masello asserts that a friend or relative is at the top of the list in such cases and would be kept secret by the intervention of "spirits".[12]

pearl

The crazy thing also is that they don't want us to use birth control and also not get abortions! What about that combo don't they understand???

To be more specific the Church does not allow 'artificial' contraception. It does have its own birth control, of sorts. If John XXIII lived to the end of the Council thing might have been different as it was a question the Council was to take up. Following the Council Paul VI, who closed it, called for a special commission to study the possibility of artificial birth control. We know where that went. A priest in our parish stated he no longer wanted to
hear it referred to in confession.