• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope Francis: there is no contradiction in the fact that priests can get married

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

What do you guys think?
The most conservative Catholics are already protesting because of this clear stance, even if it was said during an interview.
And so it's an opinion, and not something ex cathedra.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
What I think is that that pope has the fame of being cool and modern, but it changed nothing. Nothing at all. 10 years have gone, and the change record is empty.

He is exactly like all his predecessors. they put Him there just to give the illusion that things can change.

Ciao

- viole

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
What I think is that that pope has the fame of being cool and modern, but it changed nothing. Nothing at all. 10 years have gone, and the change record is empty.

He is exactly like all his predecessors. they put Him there just to give the illusion that things can change.

Ciao

- viole
So you think that the abolition of ecclesiastical celibacy of the RCC would be a good thing?

AnnaCzereda

The reason for celibacy is purely financial, I think. It was introduced to protect the property of the Church, also to prevent nepotism. I wouldn't expect some revolution in the Catholic Church though. It's very slow to change and if some radical change, like the abolishment of celibacy, is introduced, I guess we won't live long enough to see it.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Personally, I do not care. if people want to marry, they should change career.

But I have Catholic friends who would like to see that.

On second thought, I actually hope all the popes keep on changing nothing, or even get more conservative, if that accelerates the demise of the Catholic church. At least in Europe.

Ciao

- viole

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
What do you guys think?
The most conservative Catholics are already protesting because of this clear stance, even if it was said during an interview.
It's the well known Roman strategy "give the common people bread and play"

All governments know this works, hence use it.

This I see happening exactly the same with Covid, vaccins and 2030 agenda, USA Presidential elections and 4 year play after, and this also happens in my country

Nothing really changes, except that the rich enrich themselves even more than they already have been doing.

Roman Church has been in control for thousands of years. They don't fool me to hand over their "golden formula" to stay in control

Just common sense:
The very rich 1% who own most of the wealth will never give this up. Very rich families, it goes from generation to generation. So, they make their "stay in control plans" for generations to come. Family comes first, even in Italian Maffia. Never common people come first for such people, always they themselves are somewhere in their hidden agenda. Of course the common people do get some crumbs to keep them calm and strong enough to earn money for these rich.

It has been like this for ages, and although I know miracles happen, this kind of miracle I expect never to happen

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It would be... amazing!
Well, I am glad you find it a positive thing. :)

Honestly I find it something that relies on the tradition, rather than on the Holy Scriptures.
If the RCC evolves and changes, I will be okay with it.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

What do you guys think?

I grew up in a Catholic family, though I can't recall anyone saying that they had any great problem with the idea of priests marrying. They probably expected it would never happen, but seemed to be okay with it in theory, even if it seemed odd to them. I worked with a couple of former Catholic priests who gave up the priesthood to get married. I never asked them at the time, but now I'm wondering if they would have remained priests if they were allowed to get married as priests.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I grew up in a Catholic family, though I can't recall anyone saying that they had any great problem with the idea of priests marrying. They probably expected it would never happen, but seemed to be okay with it in theory, even if it seemed odd to them. I worked with a couple of former Catholic priests who gave up the priesthood to get married. I never asked them at the time, but now I'm wondering if they would have remained priests if they were allowed to get married as priests.

I tell you an anecdote of a young priest that was the star of a Church my family has always attended. He could play several instruments, sing, he could do so many things.
Actually it was not the parish I grew up in, because I used to live in another town, back then, when I was younger. That is, I took the First Communion, I was confirmed in another town.
But as soon they made me meet this young priest, I noticed something. He was so different than the priests that gave me the holy sacraments. They were two priests who lived in another dimension. A superior, otherworldly one.

The young priest was worldly. Too worldly. So I told my friends and family: "Do you think he is a good priest? I know he can do so many things, but if you ask me, he has no vocation at all. Just look at his eyes. He wants the world, he wants love. And why shouldn't he?".

Result. Several years passed, and this person is now married with children. He had abandoned priesthood.

By the way, I think that Catholicism is what it is also because of this peculiarity. Let's not forget The Thorn Birds. Why is it one of the most beautiful love stories ever written?

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What do you guys think?
Priestly celibacy is a discipline, not a doctrine. It's a rule that can be changed by the Pope.

This has been the Vatican's position basically forever, and there have been Eastern Rite churches in communion with Rome that have allowed priestly marriage for basically forever as well.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So you think that the abolition of ecclesiastical celibacy of the RCC would be a good thing?
Personally, I see it as a good thing because I think it's a sign of the Catholic Church's decline.

They've had a real problem recruiting new priests for decades now. I think that if they take this step, it's because they think they won't be able to recruit enough priests with the rule in place.

I find this especially interesting because of the number of Catholic parish churches that have been closing or consolidating with each other lately. The congregation is already shrinking, so the number of priests they need is shrinking, too, but they're still having trouble recruiting enough to fill the vacancies they have.

I see this as a harbinger of even further decline of the Catholic Church, which I think is a generally positive thing.

pearl

Celibacy, as a discipline, can be overturned with the stroke of a pen. Francis was quick to differentiate between celibacy and Holy Orders restricted to male only.

danieldemol

Premium Member

What do you guys think?
I couldn't understand the clip as it wasn't in English, but I see it as a good thing that churches modernise.

Admittedly it won't make me join a religion that believes in virgin births and other claims which suggest God intervenes in the material realm, but applause to the Pope for making a decision I believe to be beneficial to the church.

In my opinion.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Priestly celibacy is a discipline, not a doctrine. It's a rule that can be changed by the Pope.

This has been the Vatican's position basically forever, and there have been Eastern Rite churches in communion with Rome that have allowed priestly marriage for basically forever as well.
I couldn't understand the clip as it wasn't in English, but I see it as a good thing that churches modernise.

Admittedly it won't make me join a religion that believes in virgin births and other claims which suggest God intervenes in the material realm, but applause to the Pope for making a decision I believe to be beneficial to the church.

In my opinion.
He basically says it deals with a temporary provision that doesn't affect the Church doctrine.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It would help. When you demand that people have sexual practices that are not the norm you could be setting yourself up for trouble. The Catholic Church at one point had far too much power. And that power could be abused by people trying to set up their own dynasty in the church. That appears to be what led to the celibacy rules. The Church first ordered priests to be celibate 900 years ago. Not 899 years, not 901. It was in 1023 when the Church first ordered priests to become celibate. It did not hold. They had to do so again in 1139.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It would help. When you demand that people have sexual practices that are not the norm you could be setting yourself up for trouble. The Catholic Church at one point had far too much power. And that power could be abused by people trying to set up their own dynasty in the church. That appears to be what led to the celibacy rules. The Church first ordered priests to be celibate 900 years ago. Not 899 years, not 901. It was in 1023 when the Church first ordered priests to become celibate. It did not hold. They had to do so again in 1139.

Do you know why the Church is changing its mind?
Because of all the sex scandals. They want to implement an "extreme vetting" of the candidates.
Meaning they will favor the ordaining of heterosexual men with a very healthy, monogamous, sex life.
They are probably tired of hearing people gossiping and giggling about Catholic seminaries.
Sometimes considered as "gay dark rooms".

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Do you know why the Church is changing its mind?
Because of all the sex scandals. They want to implement an "extreme vetting" of the candidates.
Meaning they will favor the ordaining of heterosexual men with a very healthy, monogamous, sex life.
They are probably tired of hearing people gossiping and giggling about Catholic seminaries.
Sometimes considered as "gay dark rooms".
It could be. Their previous policy made it so healthy straight males would not want to be priests. That led to aa high percentage of gays, and pedophiles trying to become priests. Foolishly they tried to blame gay men even thought their own study said that was not the problem.