• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Polygamy Immoral?

Nanda

Polyanna
Does it have any benefits? I would answer definitely yes, for the man who would be like a rooster in a henhouse, with a different chick every night.
Maybe good for the women who don't have to please a man sexually frequently.

I don't even know how to respond to this.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
It's legal to have more than one partner outside of marriage, so why not make it official?
It is illegal in several places:
chart1.gif

Source

Elessar

Is polygamy fundamentally immoral/wrong/harmful?

On the face of it, no. It can lead to issues totally unique to itself, but not entirely different from those in monogamous relationships.

Apart from religious rules/laws, is there any moral reason why polygamy should be illegal.
Between consenting adults in a free society, no.

Is polygamy legal or illegal within your religion?
Formerly, it was legal and not abnormal. As of late, it faces a de facto ban throughout Messianic and traditional Judaism, though it remains to a limited extent in the Islamic world.

Do you agree or disagree with your religion on this issue?
I agree to an extent - it can be an issue, especially if it leads to strife with other faiths (as fCoJCoLDS) As I do not wish to cause strife within my own community, I would not move to change it without a significant change in status quo.

Does polygamy have any benefits?

I suppose it can, as much as it can have negatives. I do not know what these are, as I do not know any polygamous people personally, but I suppose, theoretically, it could provide for a more stable home situation (for example, in a marriage of three people, two could work and the third be stay-at-home, or what have you). But I would not want to draw conclusions without direct experience.

Last edited:

Nanda

Polyanna
Don't worry; the Supreme Court's already ruled that most, if not all, of those laws are unenforceable.

I wasn't worried. I live in New England - you would not believe some of the blue laws that are still technically on the books; many hundreds of years old.

Last edited:

Elessar

I wasn't worried. I live in New England - you would not believe some of the blue laws that are still technically on the books; many hundreds of years old.

In good old Pennsylvania, sleeping atop of a refrigerator is illegal; this is actually an anti-female masturbation law.

Nanda

Polyanna
I live on the Masachucetts border, where it's illegal to be an atheist, or to wear a goatee without a license.

ProudMuslim

Another Question is why can't women have more than one husband?
What makes the man so special?

Because a woman wouldn't be able to tell who is the father of her kids, and the mixing of kinship can be very chaotic.

Now with the DNA the above issue is not a big issue as before but still DNA results is not 100% correct when it involves men of the same family specially twin brothers.

Anyway i don't think the nature of the woman will allow her emotionally or pyschologically to be shared between several men.

blackout

Violet.
I was assuming that both polyandry and polygyny were assumed by the OP.

Yes....

and I also wonder (because I simply don't know)...
does Polygamy (for the sake of my example-- polygyny)
Imply that the man *sleep* only with one wife at a time?...
and that the (bisexual) women in the marriage are not "allowed"
to share intimately together if they should desire?
Are the WOMEN considered married in a polygynous marriage?
Are the MEN considered married in a polyandrous marriage?

I am very much in favor of Polygamy under the modern umbrella of Polyamory.
Polygamy that is more traditional...
seems to favor the (sexual) freedom of only ONE in the family structure.
Like there is one "leader" or one "privilidged".
and I say "Why"? :shrug:

I guess I would rather say I am more in favor of "Polyamorous Marriage".
That kind of umbrellas everything with a healthy attitude of shared sexual equality/opportunity implied.
Polyamory is about flexible, shared, responsible RELATIONSHIP/s... not "rules".

Last edited:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Because a woman wouldn't be able to tell who is the father of her kids, and the mixing of kinship can be very chaotic.

Now with the DNA the above issue is not a big issue as before but still DNA results is not 100% correct when it involves men of the same family specially twin brothers.
You do not give the paternal testing enough credit.

Anyway i don't think the nature of the woman will allow her emotionally or pyschologically to be shared between several men.
LOL
Your kidding right?

Trey of Diamonds

Is polygamy fundamentally immoral/wrong/harmful? Apart from religious rules/laws, is there any moral reason why polygamy should be illegal. Is polygamy legal or illegal within your religion? Do you agree or disagree with your religion on this issue? Does polygamy have any benefits?

Polygamy is fine, as long as both Polyandry and Polygyny are allowed. If only one is allowed it is wrong. I think we could take a lesson from the marriage practices of the ancient Celts.

Ancient Celts: Celtic Marriage