• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Polygamy Immoral?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Is polygamy fundamentally immoral/wrong/harmful? Apart from religious rules/laws, is there any moral reason why polygamy should be illegal. Is polygamy legal or illegal within your religion? Do you agree or disagree with your religion on this issue? Does polygamy have any benefits?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Is polygamy fundamentally immoral/wrong/harmful?
Fundamentally? No.

Apart from religious rules/laws, is there any moral reason why polygamy should be illegal.
I can see an argument that it lends itself too easily to abuse.

Is polygamy legal or illegal within your religion? Do you agree or disagree with your religion on this issue?
N/A.

Does polygamy have any benefits?
.... Larger families?

Also, not everyone fits into the monogamy mold, and I don't think it's right to condemn people for that.

Nanda

Polyanna

Not in my opinion.

Apart from religious rules/laws, is there any moral reason why polygamy should be illegal.

Between consenting adults, no.

Is polygamy legal or illegal within your religion?

I haven't a religion, but obviously, it's illegal within my country, and because of this, Paper and I can't be legally married. So like many others in this country, the morality of the Christian majority is impeeding our pursuit of happiness. (Not that we particularly want to get married, we just don't like being told that we can't.)

Do you agree or disagree with your [country] on this issue?

Disagree.

Does monogamy? It benefits those of us who want to spend the rest of our lives with more than one partner.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I say it's a-ok if all involved are informed, consenting adults. I fail to see any rational justification for it to be considered immoral or illegal.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am uncertain about this one. Even in the Bible, a man would have more than one wife. King David had 7, King Solomon had about 300.
But I also have to look at it this way: I read a book about a woman who was FLDS and was in a very unhappy situation in which one of the wives (not her, obviously) was treated well but none of the other wives or their children were. It created a very unhappy situation and a lot of trouble. The question in that regard would be: Can a man love more than one woman and treat all of them equally?
But it is a moot point, since it is illegal anyway.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Can a man love more than one woman and treat all of them equally?
Which man?
Obviously that man cannot.
But I seriously doubt that that man should be used as the basis for all men.

Another Question is why can't women have more than one husband?
What makes the man so special?

Nanda

Polyanna
Which man?
Obviously that man cannot.
But I seriously doubt that that man should be used as the basis for all men.

Another Question is why can't women have more than one husband?
What makes the man so special?

Testify. :shout

McBell

No.

None that I can think of.

Is polygamy legal or illegal within your religion?
Illegal

Do you agree or disagree with your religion on this issue?
Not Applicable

Yes.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
If they made polygamy legal, then I would hope that women could have more than one husband, too. But personally, I live with one man and I don't want to have to live with another one, too. One is more than enough and at times, too much.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Is polygamy fundamentally immoral/wrong/harmful? Apart from religious rules/laws, is there any moral reason why polygamy should be illegal. Is polygamy legal or illegal within your religion? Do you agree or disagree with your religion on this issue? Does polygamy have any benefits?
According to the NT many people had multiple wives in the OT, was it harmful? Probably not but very tiring to one man with so many women....My religion personally doesn't agree with polygamy, as a matter of fact I don't know many religions that do practice it, at least I mean most of the ones I know about.

Does it have any benefits? I would answer definitely yes, for the man who would be like a rooster in a henhouse, with a different chick every night.
Maybe good for the women who don't have to please a man sexually frequently.

Why is it that most of the time the men have multiple wives, but the women probably would be stoned for having multiple husbands....;)...Now that is discrimination.....:D

McBell

Why is it that most of the time the men have multiple wives, but the women probably would be stoned for having multiple husbands....;)...Now that is discrimination.....:D
Seems to me that a women would have to be stoned to agree to multiple husbands.....