• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Polygamy Immoral?

Smoke

Done here.
Polygamy is fine, as long as both Polyandry and Polygyny are allowed. If only one is allowed it is wrong. I think we could take a lesson from the marriage practices of the ancient Celts.

Ancient Celts: Celtic Marriage
I think so, too:
The main lesson we as modern Celtic people can take from the laws regarding marriage, rearing of children and divorce is that there is no one simple formula that suits everyone and everyone's circumstances. The force of the law was such that two people were expected to contract openly and honestly about the terms of their marriage partnership, that children born of the union had the full force of legal protection for rearing and inheritance no matter what level of commitment to each other the contract of the two people who birthed them contained, and that there was provision for the fair division of assets should the contract be broken. People were expected to make a contract, live up to it and take proper care of any children they made together.​

Trey of Diamonds

I think so, too:
The main lesson we as modern Celtic people can take from the laws regarding marriage, rearing of children and divorce is that there is no one simple formula that suits everyone and everyone's circumstances. The force of the law was such that two people were expected to contract openly and honestly about the terms of their marriage partnership, that children born of the union had the full force of legal protection for rearing and inheritance no matter what level of commitment to each other the contract of the two people who birthed them contained, and that there was provision for the fair division of assets should the contract be broken. People were expected to make a contract, live up to it and take proper care of any children they made together.

Yeah, and to think they did this who knows how many years before the birth of Christ. We could learn a lot from ancient cultures, if can just set aside our notion that we are superior because we are modern.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
But I don't believe in your God. My God isn't vocal at all and never speaks to humans.
Fair enough.

Polygyny, as practiced by the ancient Hebrews, was based on women and children being property. By the standards of the time this was probably no big deal but by our standards today it would be considered an abusive situation.[/quote]Then you're saying that monogamy was also abusive back then, I guess.

challupa

It could be but I don't know if that is true self righteousness but is instead an act. Acting self righteous and being self righteous are too separate things. To be truely self righteous you must feel your are absolutely positively morally correct. How can that feeling exist in fear. Fear is about doubt and any doubt would remove the righteousness. At least that's how I've always looked at it, I could be wrong. :eek: No really, I could be, just ask my wife. ;)
Lol, I'm not saying you're wrong though. I'm just thinking along the lines of "doth thou protest to much". It always seems to me when someone is defending something to that degree, they are trying to hide an insecurity. By being overly adamant rings bells for me I guess. It makes me think the person really is insecure in their position and desperately afraid someone will find that out. Just me I guess.

Trey of Diamonds

Then you're saying that monogamy was also abusive back then, I guess.

I'm saying that any relationship that is based on women and children being the property of the man would be considered abusive by today's standards. But I don't advocate judging ancient cultures by our standards unless it is in the context of implementing that culture or a portion of that culture in our current society.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I remember when that was a very common argument against interracial marriages.

The thing is as I have said twice..now three times..Im not talking about it as an argument "against" poly families.Only that it would be a special concern that would need to be acknowledged and addressed within the family itself in regards to children.The fact that it puts a child at higher risk to ridicule and descrimination is NOT a critisizm of the family itself.Not by me anyway.Its a sad fact of the matter that cant be ignored or swept under the rug.Its a valid concern.But Im beginning to regret I brought it up as a possible "negative" aspect or concern regarding this topic.But again..I am not taking up an argument "against" people who want to live in poly family arrangments.

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Lol, I'm not saying you're wrong though. I'm just thinking along the lines of "doth thou protest to much". It always seems to me when someone is defending something to that degree, they are trying to hide an insecurity. By being overly adamant rings bells for me I guess. It makes me think the person really is insecure in their position and desperately afraid someone will find that out. Just me I guess.

Challupa you said it better than me..

I want to clarify..Self rightiousness "can" be a cover up for fear and insecurity.It was the "densiveness" in such a dramatic and loud way that made me sense there was some "fear' involved.Especially when there was nothing to defend in the first place.If you didnt read it in context..and only her post..you might conclude she was reacting to someone trying to convince her to live in a polygymist family.Or convince her that monogomy was wrong.Or convince her that her husband needed more than her.

Love

Dallas

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
If you didnt read it in context..and only her post..you might conclude she was reacting to someone trying to convince her to live in a polygymist family.Or convince her that monogomy was wrong.Or convince her that her husband needed more than her.

None of which is the case.

challupa

Challupa you said it better than me..

I want to clarify..Self rightiousness "can" be a cover up for fear and insecurity.It was the "densiveness" in such a dramatic and loud way that made me sense there was some "fear' involved.Especially when there was nothing to defend in the first place.If you didnt read it in context..and only her post..you might conclude she was reacting to someone trying to convince her to live in a polygymist family.Or convince her that monogomy was wrong.Or convince her that her husband needed more than her.

Love

Dallas
I was initially responding to the self righteous comments. I hadn't read the thread at that time. Now that I have read the thread though, I don't really see Kathryn as being self righteous but merely stating how it makes her feel. I think she was getting frustrated though because I believe she felt people were misunderstanding her. I don't know, that is just my take on it.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Seems to me she started with the self righteousness right after her "run in" with Ultraviolet.....

But perhaps thats just me

challupa

Seems to me she started with the self righteousness right after her "run in" with Ultraviolet.....

But perhaps thats just me
Hmm, I'm not saying anyone's to blame I just took what she said a bit different I guess. I very obviously could be wrong...:)

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I am not saying anyone is to blame.
I am merely calling it how I see it.