• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Polygamy Immoral?

Trey of Diamonds

DON'T COMPROMISE YOUR VALUES.

You disagree with this statement?

DON'T SETTLE.

You think people should "settle" rather than set a standard for their relationships with others and then hold out for the person who agrees with that standard?

DON'T PUT YOUR FAITH IN MANKIND, PUT YOUR FAITH IN GOD. TRUST HIM.

You may not agree with that, but that's my own personal belief. I have more faith in God than I do in humans.

SEEK WISDOM. YOU WILL BE REWARDED.

You disagree with THIS? Wow.

No need to shout. I don't think he was disagreeing with your points but rather pointing out the tone of your posts.

Nanda

Polyanna
I undertand Nanda..Im just saying right now?..If a child says..I have one dad and 3 moms??You think his dad has been married 3 SEPERATE times.

If the child says no..they are all married together now...there is no black skin or white..there is not fat and ugly..there is no poor..there is no ADHD or bi-polar or asspergers..everything melts away..and your talking to a kid that has a dad that has 3 wives..and you go tunnel vision on that.

Do you understand what Im saying?

Its "special".Not to get in a competion over "specialness"..but I dont think twice anymore over fat kids.My kids are all fat.So are many many many other kids.If someone tells me their kid has been diagnosed at 6 with bi-polar I roll my eyes and say.." so ..who isnt these days".

And given enough time and education, I believe someday people won't think twice about the kid with three mommies. In the meantime, much like the other marginalized before us, we just need to soldier on.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Maybe he can clarify.

I could be wrong..But I think what Im "sensing" in you is that if poly relationships are "accepted" in general..you fear its a threat to your marriage.

You keep saying things like .."IF MY husband walked in and said I want a second wife"??? HE would have to find TWO new wives cause I'de be GONE!

Then you go on to talk about how happy you are with him..how he is your "heart"..

What are you so upset about?..No one has suggested you should accept a 2nd wife in your marriage..

Could it be that if it were "acceptable" and legal you are worried your husband might go for it?(Im just guessing).

Love

Dallas

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
DON'T COMPROMISE YOUR VALUES.

You disagree with this statement?

DON'T SETTLE.

You think people should "settle" rather than set a standard for their relationships with others and then hold out for the person who agrees with that standard?

DON'T PUT YOUR FAITH IN MANKIND, PUT YOUR FAITH IN GOD. TRUST HIM.

You may not agree with that, but that's my own personal belief. I have more faith in God than I do in humans.

SEEK WISDOM. YOU WILL BE REWARDED.

You disagree with THIS? Wow.
Again, you further my point.

BEsides, I thought you were taking this off topic-ness to another thread?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
And given enough time and education, I believe someday people won't think twice about the kid with three mommies. In the meantime, much like the other marginalized before us, we just need to soldier on.

I agree..:)

Love

Dallas

McBell

Maybe he can clarify.
The post that set off your rant is nothing more than me disagreeing with your use of the word horrible.

I do not now, nor did I, view your beliefs/position as horrible.
I found your post to be more self righteous/egotistical/conceited/etc. than horrible.

Then your two artistic posts (by artistic I mean the fancy fonts and colouring, not the content of what was being said) following my observation merely furthered my point.

Last edited by a moderator:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
No. I'm just stating my personal opinion.

Your stating personal opinion but emphasizing how wonderful your relationship is with your husband ..and how you are "one" in flesh...etc..Its a little "over board" to state your position on other people havng poly relationships..

Its like if the question was..should gay marriage be legalized? Or "accepted" what have you..

And I said...MY HUSBAND and I have a WONDERFUL UNION!!!..I WOULD NOT be happy if he said he was GAY!!!And if he said he was gay I would say GET OUT!!

But HE is my SOUL mate!!!And I am WOMAN enough that he would NEVER be gay!!!

I tried to emphathise with you..I have had the same knee jerk reaction to this topic of more than one wife.

I think I understand where it comes from..And its more than "opinion"..I think its rooted in fear.

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
Besides that - I don't see anyone else in here freely admitting and taking responsibility for their own MAJOR mistakes in life.

My MAJOR mistakes are most definately on topic for this thread....
and quite the antithesis of yours actually, Kathryn.

I'll be back to share when I have more time.
(just remember-- you ASKED. lol. :D )

Trey of Diamonds

Where as I believe self righteousness is fear based.

Ooooo, now that deserves some examination but probably not in this thread. I'm not sure I agree with you. Hate is fear based but self righteousness is more along the lines of feeling superior which isn't fear based at all. In fact I would say to be self righteous there would have to be an absence of fear.

McBell

Ooooo, now that deserves some examination but probably not in this thread. I'm not sure I agree with you. Hate is fear based but self righteousness is more along the lines of feeling superior which isn't fear based at all. In fact I would say to be self righteous there would have to be an absence of fear.
Unless your covering your fear with self righteousness....

challupa

Hmmm, but would that be true self righteousness or something else that resembles it? A very interesting subject and one I don't have a firm conclusion for. Something to think about for sure.
Maybe it's along the lines that the bully is a bully to cover a lack of confidence. Maybe self-righteousness is also a cover for fear of not really knowing for sure.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I believe that polygyny as its been practiced in the Abrahamic religions is an abusive system designed by men to subjegate women and has no connection to God at all.
How did Abraham abuse his wives, and why didn't God say anything about it? Normally, God's pretty vocal if He is opposed to the way people are living. As I recall, He seemed to be pretty pleased with Abraham.

Trey of Diamonds

How did Abraham abuse his wives, and why didn't God say anything about it? Normally, God's pretty vocal if He is opposed to the way people are living. As I recall, He seemed to be pretty pleased with Abraham.

But I don't believe in your God. My God isn't vocal at all and never speaks to humans.

Polygyny, as practiced by the ancient Hebrews, was based on women and children being property. By the standards of the time this was probably no big deal but by our standards today it would be considered an abusive situation. I don't judge the cultures of the past according to modern morals but if you were to try and institute these practices to day it would not work. But, if you were to try and institute the practices of the ancient Celts where marriage and Polygamy were concerned you would find that it is a much better situation than the one we use today.

I also think it is interesting that it was the children of Abraham who did away with the superior Celtic system in favor of its abusive property based system.

blackout

Violet.
Maybe it's along the lines that the bully is a bully to cover a lack of confidence. Maybe self-righteousness is also a cover for fear of not really knowing for sure.

...and sometimes Self Right-eousness is simply the over assured,
over agrandized belief of"Self"...
that it is unquestionably "Right" about something of a "salvific" nature...
regarding all of humanity/ all of the world/ all life/ all truth etc. etc.
(and the quest to make sure everyone else "sees the light" as well)

Save the world, Save the planet, Save the animals, Save the economy,
Save traditional marriage, Save the country, Save our morality,
and last but not least.... Save your imortal Soul!:shout

Trey of Diamonds

It could be but I don't know if that is true self righteousness but is instead an act. Acting self righteous and being self righteous are too separate things. To be truely self righteous you must feel your are absolutely positively morally correct. How can that feeling exist in fear. Fear is about doubt and any doubt would remove the righteousness. At least that's how I've always looked at it, I could be wrong. :eek: No really, I could be, just ask my wife. ;)