• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Speed Limits

Should all speed limits be reduced to 20 mph to prevent deaths due to car accidents?

• Yes. It would prevent 1,250,000 deaths annually. It's an inconvenience, but absolutely worth it.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No, it's too inconvenient and economically costly.

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
There's no argument to be made here. I'm just genuinely interested in the results. I'm abstaining from this one. In all honesty, I haven't fully formed an opinion on this particular question.

Yeah, you’re probably right. If you really wanted to make an argument, you would have posted this in a debate forum.

...oh wait...​

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
For the sake of argument, let's assume it's a given that reducing speed limits always makes the road safer (it doesn't.) In the US in 2019 there were 24,221 total people killed in car crashes.( https://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx ) Let's bump it up, include all pedestrians, motorcyclists, and every other category listed here in the report. So 36,560. (Also around the number of people who died from the flu in the US 2018 to 2019. Estimated Influenza Illnesses, Medical visits, Hospitalizations, and Deaths in the United States — 2018–2019 influenza season | CDC )

That is still less than total US coronavirus deaths in five weeks in the US.
(Edited to correct)

Last edited:

Rational Agnostic

For the sake of argument, let's assume it's a given that reducing speed limits always makes the road safer (it doesn't.) In the US in 2019 there were 24,221 total people killed in car crashes.( https://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx ) Let's bump it up, include all pedestrians, motorcyclists, and every other category listed here in the report. So 36,560. (Also around the number of people who died from the flu in the US 2018 to 2019. Estimated Influenza Illnesses, Medical visits, Hospitalizations, and Deaths in the United States — 2018–2019 influenza season | CDC )

That is still less than total US coronavirus deaths in five weeks in the US.
(Edited to correct)

Uh, there haven't even been 40,000 COVID deaths in the US yet. Where are you getting this nonsense?

Also, of course driving 20 mph would reduce car accident deaths. That is obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Uh, there haven't even been 40,000 COVID deaths in the US yet. Where are you getting this nonsense?
Sorry I read that wrong. I was reading cases not deaths. Still, doesn't change that we've beaten car accidents death totals for a year in less than five weeks.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Let the question speak for itself.
I voted 'No'.

Being late to the party, I think this discussion gets back to are we being overcautious with restrictions because of the coronavirus and challenging the point that 'whatever we have to do is worth it if we save lives'.

I am also one that questions if we are being overly cautious and having a negative effect on the overall quality of life for society and the world as a whole. We can measure a death count from a virus but we can't as easily measure economic, business, jobs, social, mental health, deficit spending, children's educational losses, etcetera.

I understand flattening the curve but do we want it too flat at the cost of too much else?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That article is talking about reducing speed limits from 70 to 50 mph which can be bad because drivers get less attentive.

Reducing all speed limits to 20 mph would definitely save lives. Even if accidents increase, they'd result in only minor injuries at worst.
It specifically is talking about severely reducing speeds from engineering recommendations, which your post qualifies as if the engineering recommendation is 30 or more.
And, as someone who works specifically with MVAs, you don't need to be going fast to get fatal injuries.

But this is besides the point that this is still an unsubtle ****ty false comparison attempt. Come back to me when car accidents become heavily contagious and threaten to overwhelm emergency healthcare systems.

Rational Agnostic

It specifically is talking about severely reducing speeds from engineering recommendations, which your post qualifies as if the engineering recommendation is 30 or more.
And, as someone who works specifically with MVAs, you don't need to be going fast to get fatal injuries.

But this is besides the point that this is still an unsubtle ****ty false comparison attempt. Come back to me when car accidents become heavily contagious and threaten to overwhelm emergency healthcare systems.

Actually, to be clear I'm in favor of the covid lockdowns and am doing my part to stop the spread. I think that they should end soon but right now I agree they're necessary, so no argument there.

Back to the topic, 20 mph speed limits WOULD save lives. That's so obvious I'm not gonna even argue it anymore. :)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Let the question speak for itself.
No. The government clearly doesn't want that. it would greatly affect revenue from traffic tickets, the insurance industry and so forth. They wouldn't make any money.

If there really was a genuine concern about reducing and minimizing accidents, there would be a mandate that all cars be governed like a lot of trucks are already to a predetermined speed limit.

It's a facade when they act like they actually care. The only thing they care about is their revenue and anything that associates with generating revenue.