• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Speed Limits

Should all speed limits be reduced to 20 mph to prevent deaths due to car accidents?

• Yes. It would prevent 1,250,000 deaths annually. It's an inconvenience, but absolutely worth it.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No, it's too inconvenient and economically costly.

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

Laika

Premium Member
Let the question speak for itself.

Voted “yes” in so far as I am willing to consider it, but I’d want more information. Maybe its just one of those days and I’m feeling contrary-wise.

We could just ban cars and resort to horse-and-cart. There max speed is something like 11 miles per hour anyway. But to get many horses is going to be hard to look after and care for.

Or we could dramatically expand the rail and bus transportation systems to reduce the usage of cars.

Or perfect self-driving technologies which *may* become safer in the long-run.

But we’d have to overcome the cultural idea that cars are symbols of freedom, social status and mobility to get people to view these alternatives positively.

The entire transportation system is going to have to be overhauled anyway to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and dependence on fossil fuels anyways. We can save lives whilst we are at it I guess.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Let the question speak for itself.

I did not vote, its a totally loaded poll which does not allow me to answer honestly.

First, the only accident i have ever had was at about 4 or 5 mph, just pulling out from parking and a child ran into the road between the car parked in front of me and the one in front of that. Luckily the child was only shook up and not injured.

Second, we live in a 30kph zone. (18.64 mph) last October our young cat was killed by a speeding car. The year before part of a house was demolished by a drunken truck driver. Two years before that one tourist killed and one injured by walking out in front of a car traveling below the legal limit. And that's only while i have lived here.

Third, less than 1% of the world is built up (with its environs) are you proposing to limit the other 99% of the world or just the bit you live in?

The only way to reduce deaths on the road is to stop people using the road as a footpath, playground, football pitch, running track, place to stop and chat, somewhere to stand while admiring the view...

Answers, isolate roads from pedestrians, and keep blithering idiot drivers off the road

The problem is not speed limits but people.

Reducing speed limits is not a magic wand, not even your magic wand

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Dumb question. Why 20 mph? Why not 0 -- i.e. no driving at all. And walking can result in falls, and falls can result in broken hips, and broken hips in the elderly can lead to death, so stop that, too. And every other thing that can be shown to have resulted in a death, stop 'em all! :rolleyes:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
We could just ban cars and resort to horse-and-cart. There max speed is something like 11 miles per hour anyway. But to get many horses is going to be hard to look after and care for.

A human can walk on average of 3.1 mph without abusing any animals.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A human can walk on average of 3.1 mph without abusing any animals.
Bicycles are extremely efficient.
Even @Wu Wei agrees.
main-qimg-2cb69a03eb7541ecf4d207425c8e58a0-c

Alas, even they have their dangers...not just from bears.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I know....in excrutiating detail.

I don't know why "excrutiating" is flagged by my spell checker.
That many letters in a row is hard to read. But it still looks right.

Mine tells be its a c problem
excruciating

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Mine tells be its a c problem
excruciating
Ahah!
That's it!
I knew a dyslexic would be the one to solve the mystery.
(Your type pays more attention to such things.)

Can you believe that I was once a grade school spelling bee champion?
At some point later, werds became the enemy.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Ahah!
That's it!
I knew a dyslexic would be the one to solve the mystery.
(Your type pays more attention to such things.)

Can you believe that I was once a grade school spelling bee champion?
At some point later, werds became the enemy.

Can you believe I wasn't?

At least you spelled enemy right

Actually i copied your spelling in to google, and copied the correct spelling back. Is a service i can do occasionally

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I know you're uncomfortable thinking about giving up the privilege of driving over 20 mph to save lives. But we all have to make sacrifices to save lives.
Ya know.....your OP struck me as performance art, ie, the meaning
lies in what the reader brings to it. I did something similar recently.
It's loads of fun....gets discussions going...but it does cause some
big angry veins to pop out on the foreheads of some people.