• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Do You Recognize the Reality I’m Describing

Do you recognize this?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Treasure Hunter

If the choice is between (a) a chance at revenge or (b) a life of quiet desperation, a man chooses (a) every time because it’s actually meaningful rather than meaningless.

The only way a man chooses (b) is if he allows himself to be deluded and deceived. When the deluded man gets knocked back by a reality check, he is given an opportunity to sober up, realize he has been living a life of quiet desperation, and become aware of the deception. At this point, he can choose the blue pill (delusion) or he can choose the red pill.

Treasure Hunter

I don't get it.

Revenge against who, or what?
These are two steps:
Step 1 - the desire for revenge
Step 2 - where to direct it

Step 2 is not do with this thread. I’ve posted plenty about that in other threads. I’m only trying to determine if the experience I described in the OP is recognizable. If not, there is no shared experience from which to communicate.

Treasure Hunter

Here are some potential examples:

(1) You get rejected by a girl and think to yourself, “I’ll show her.”

(2) You get cut from the team and think to yourself, “I’ll show them.”

(3) You get told you can’t do something and think to yourself, “I’ll show them.”

Are these completely foreign experiences?

If not, then universalize it: You feel knocked down by life where everything is going wrong and all your desired plans seem to be rejected.

Treasure Hunter

If you’ve heard the phrase “make a deal with the devil,” the deal being referred to is when the devil gives you blue pills (counterfeit paradise) in exchange for you giving up the desire for revenge. The devil does nothing except what he is allowed to do by God.

In the movie, The Matrix, when Neo decides to take the red pill of truth, he is giving up his counterfeit paradise in the matrix. He is breaking the deal with the devil. It’s the first act of rebellion against God.

Why does God make the devil offer this deal? I’ve already mentioned one reason - he doesn’t want you condemning him for your suffering. This is the uncharitable view.

The charitable reason why he does this is because he is protecting you from the more dangerous path. The blue pill matrix is a counterfeit paradise but it’s fairly safe. The second charitable reason is he’s using the counterfeit paradise to prime you so you’ll reconnect to your soul.

Last edited:

Treasure Hunter

The desire for revenge against God is like the sword in the stone in King Arthur’s story. Only the one who believes in and identifies with the-one-who-will-be-king is worthy enough to wield it.

Treasure Hunter

The good father wants his son to replace him, but he wants his son to be worthy so he won’t make it easy.

The good king wants his son to overthrow him if he, as the king, is lording over a corrupt and unjust kingdom.

Tamino

That's not even revenge, that's plain harassment.

You experience a frustration, and your possible reactions are "revenge" or "desperation"??
No, I cannot relate. I was under the impression that adult humans can and should get over their first emotional reaction, breathe deep and reflect on the experience.
Then you can make a decision whether it's worth trying again, or if you should just let it go.

Treasure Hunter

That's not even revenge, that's plain harassment.

You experience a frustration, and your possible reactions are "revenge" or "desperation"??
No, I cannot relate. I was under the impression that adult humans can and should get over their first emotional reaction, breathe deep and reflect on the experience.
Then you can make a decision whether it's worth trying again, or if you should just let it go.
I’m not making a value judgment, but simply trying to highlight the desire. You’ve never had a breakup and noticed the desire to show the other person what they’re missing? It’s very common.

Tamino

You’ve never had a breakup and noticed the desire to show the other person what they’re missing? It’s very common.
No really not. I've had exactly two exclusive romantic relationships in my life. One, I broke up, the second is still ongoing. Everything else was open and flexible, no need for breaking.

I'm curious... is this break-up thing really so common? It may be my autistic side that's giving me a different experience, perhaps the majority of brains works differently?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
If the choice is between (a) a chance at revenge or (b) a life of quiet desperation, a man chooses (a) every time because it’s actually meaningful rather than meaningless.

The only way a man chooses (b) is if he allows himself to be deluded and deceived. When the deluded man gets knocked back by a reality check, he is given an opportunity to sober up, realize he has been living a life of quiet desperation, and become aware of the deception. At this point, he can choose the blue pill (delusion) or he can choose the red pill.
Both options lead to suffering. That's not much of a choice, is it?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

What about women?

PureX

Veteran Member
I’m not making a value judgment, but simply trying to highlight the desire. You’ve never had a breakup and noticed the desire to show the other person what they’re missing? It’s very common.
It’s childish and stupid. A waste of time and effort because your ego is hurt.
God isn’t “knocking anyone back“. God isn’t waiting for you to rise up and defeat him. This is all childish nonsense. If we want something or try something and it fails, want something else, or try a different approach. No one is thinking about you. No one cares if you succeed or fail. Success as revenge is a delusion.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

There is a multitude of reasons as to why someone might choose (b). I simply think of your assessment as being too simplistic.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

(2) You get cut from the team and think to yourself, “I’ll show them.”

(3) You get told you can’t do something and think to yourself, “I’ll show them.”

Are these completely foreign experiences?

If not, then universalize it: You feel knocked down by life where everything is going wrong and all your desired plans seem to be rejected.

That sounds like petiness.

vulcanlogician

I recognize the problem.

Sometimes when (some) people fail to take revenge, the anger they experience becomes self-directed. They hold onto it. And it is kinda self-destructive when that happens.

So the question is: Is it better to just take revenge? Or should you internalize that anger? (Supposing those are your only two options.)

Tamino

I recognize the problem.

Sometimes when (some) people fail to take revenge, the anger they experience becomes self-directed. They hold onto it. And it is kinda self-destructive when that happens.

So the question is: Is it better to just take revenge? Or should you internalize that anger? (Supposing those are your only two options.)
Yeah, but why should those be the only options?
Shouldn't that be one of the most important things we teach children as they grow up: how to handle frustrations and impulses without resorting to violence (against others or themselves)