• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Do You Recognize the Reality I’m Describing

Do you recognize this?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The male must become female too. Only one who is fully male and fully female can navigate through the entire story.

Fully male and fully female??? Have you ever actually thought of the contradiction here?

And how does that stack up with the anti LGBTQ brigade?

Treasure Hunter

This is about finding meaning to one's life in the face of suffering, not eliminating suffering through life's meaning.
If you have a ‘why’, this allows you to be resilient in the midst of suffering.

Eliminating suffering is God’s promise. He is the one who must deliver. We can force his hand.. or not.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
If you have a ‘why’, this allows you to be resilient in the midst of suffering.

Eliminating suffering is God’s promise. He is the one who must deliver. We can force his hand.. or not.
Sorry, but my understanding of "eliminating suffering" varies significantly from yours.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
If the good father makes a promise to a child and doesn’t fulfill his word, that is unforgivable. There’s no moving forward after that. Justice must be served. Call it whatever you want; this is a deep and sacred truth.

Sounds even more like pettiness...
I totally relate to resorting to revenge when it is the only path to enact justice, but not when it is done out of pettiness.

Treasure Hunter

Sounds even more like pettiness...
I totally relate to resorting to revenge when it is the only path to enact justice, but not when it is done out of pettiness.
Fair enough, but it’s a righteous pettiness. And it’s highly meaningful in a world where so many lack meaning in their lives.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
My favorite quote on revenge.

"Revenge is preparing a cup of poison for your enemy .... and drinking it yourself".

There are so many alternatives to the dichotomy presented in the OP that I find myself puzzled. Is it really revenge we are talking about? To me revenge translates to "you hurt me so I'm going to hurt you". Surely that's only one alternative to "putting up with being hurt"?

Treasure Hunter

My favorite quote on revenge.

"Revenge is preparing a cup of poison for your enemy .... and drinking it yourself".

There are so many alternatives to the dichotomy presented in the OP that I find myself puzzled. Is it really revenge we are talking about? To me revenge translates to "you hurt me so I'm going to hurt you". Surely that's only one alternative to "putting up with being hurt"?
In the Christian view, through relationship you can unify with the father through the son. This means when I drink the cup of poison, or the cup of wrath in Jesus’ story, then God experiences it as well. When the son is crucified, then the father is crucified. When the son descends into death, then he takes the father with him.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
In the Christian view, through relationship you can unify with the father through the son. This means when I drink the cup of poison, or the cup of wrath in Jesus’ story, then God experiences it as well. When the son is crucified, then the father is crucified. When the son descends into death, then he takes the father with him.

I don't understand what you are saying, or at least its application to the original question, but didn't Jesus tell us to "turn the other cheek" rather than seek revenge?

Treasure Hunter

I don't understand what you are saying, or at least its application to the original question, but didn't Jesus tell us to "turn the other cheek" rather than seek revenge?
Like I said, the Christian is to forgive his fellow man unconditionally.

Do you see that turning the other cheek is different than disengaging and walking away. The former is to invite more pain into your life. For what purpose, other than as a form of revenge against God? Masochism is deeply Christian.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If the choice is between (a) a chance at revenge or (b) a life of quiet desperation, a man chooses (a) every time because it’s actually meaningful rather than meaningless.

The only way a man chooses (b) is if he allows himself to be deluded and deceived. When the deluded man gets knocked back by a reality check, he is given an opportunity to sober up, realize he has been living a life of quiet desperation, and become aware of the deception. At this point, he can choose the blue pill (delusion) or he can choose the red pill.
I varied between feeling vengeful on society or forbearing or seeing them almost all good.

However, I've decided never to forgive people who take the issue of justice lightly unless they can't participate in bringing good for various reasons. And to take the issue of justice not light, you have to care for truth to some degree.

And the reason is not petty reasons that have to do with me, but because my parents were tortured by a government the western governments still till this day support. They support the dictatorship because it's tactical for their greed. I imagine many people suffered and continued to so aside from my parents.

I've decided not to forgive people who chase petty life and ignore justice and truth and turn away from God's guidance. But aside from their apathy, the majority of my society actively support injustice, oppression and wars they should not support.

I don't attach myself to them because they are evil. And hell will be their resort.

Even take away God and Mohammad (s), the fact, is people deserve hell for not supporting truth regardless if God sent Messengers to establish justice or not. The issue of rejecting Messengers amplifies their evil and leaves them with less of an excuse.

There came a time in my life where I would say God will have mercy and forgive all.

I can't worship a being that let's evil people get away with being apathetic to injustice nor support oppression especially to the degree injustice and oppression exist.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Like I said, the Christian is to forgive his fellow man unconditionally.

Do you see that turning the other cheek is different than disengaging and walking away. The former is to invite more pain into your life. For what purpose, other than as a form of revenge against God? Masochism is deeply Christian.

Maybe we are using different meanings for "revenge". Do you mean self defense?

I've always assumed that turning the other cheek referred to refusing to participate in an on-going and ever increasing cycle of hurt and retaliation.

Treasure Hunter

Maybe we are using different meanings for "revenge". Do you mean self defense?

I've always assumed that turning the other cheek referred to refusing to participate in an on-going and ever increasing cycle of hurt and retaliation.
It is stopping the cycle, but also, turn the other cheek is within the context of first getting slapped on the other cheek. It’s saying, “Go ahead and slap me again on the other cheek.” It’s a more radical teaching than saying forgive and walk away.

Treasure Hunter

I varied between feeling vengeful on society or forbearing or seeing them almost all good.

However, I've decided never to forgive people who take the issue of justice lightly unless they can't participate in bringing good for various reasons. And to take the issue of justice not light, you have to care for truth to some degree.

And the reason is not petty reasons that have to do with me, but because my parents were tortured by a government the western governments still till this day support. They support the dictatorship because it's tactical for their greed. I imagine many people suffered and continued to so aside from my parents.

I've decided not to forgive people who chase petty life and ignore justice and truth and turn away from God's guidance. But aside from their apathy, the majority of my society actively support injustice, oppression and wars they should not support.

I don't attach myself to them because they are evil. And hell will be their resort.

Even take away God and Mohammad (s), the fact, is people deserve hell for not supporting truth regardless if God sent Messengers to establish justice or not. The issue of rejecting Messengers amplifies their evil and leaves them with less of an excuse.

There came a time in my life where I would say God will have mercy and forgive all.

I can't worship a being that let's evil people get away with being apathetic to injustice nor support oppression especially to the degree injustice and oppression exist.
I’ve presented to you a path to attain the revenge and justice you seek. The path has already been prepared for you.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I’ve presented to you a path to attain the revenge and justice you seek. The path has already been prepared for you.
No need, I've already been presented it:

وَلاَ مُمْتَهَناً إلاَّ بِالانْتِقَامِ لَكَ، وَأَوْجِدْنِي بَرْدَ عَفْوِكَ،
wa laa mum-tahanan il-laa biiantiqaami lak wa aw-jid-nee bar-da a'f-wik
370.a nor putting any importance in anything but vengeance for You! Let me find the coolness of Your pardon