• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: As to alcohol and its use

What are your thoughts regarding alcohol?

• Ban it everywhere!

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Alcohol is evil - avoid it completely

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Alcohol is bad news for some

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Alcohol can be just another addiction

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Alcohol consumption is OK if controlled

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Alcohol provides much enjoyment to many

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I can take it or leave it

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Not for me but live and let live

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Hey, it's natural!

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Something else - and explain

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

amorphous_constellation

It very much cares where I live: alcohol is highly taboo, and many have to hide their drinking habit from family, colleagues, etc.

The Middle East in general is quite opposed to alcohol, for better or worse.

If that's true, I think that's probably good, though if it's like what you say, I wonder how much it is hidden. If a lot is hidden, then that is bad

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
If that's true, I think that's probably good, though if it's like what you say, I wonder how much it is hidden. If a lot is hidden, then that is bad

Yeah, I believe people should be made aware of its risks, not merely be shamed into avoiding (or hiding) drinking primarily due to religious taboos.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Since I gave up booze I have noticed what people get like during a typical evening in a bar. Often pretty embarrassing.

What do you find embarrassing, specifically? I know some who become louder or more outgoing than usual without going overboard (e.g., crossing others' boundaries or causing trouble). In a bar setting, I think loudness and (harmless) silliness are so expected as to not really be embarrassing in most cases.

exchemist

Veteran Member
It very much cares where I live: alcohol is highly taboo, and many have to hide their drinking habit from family, colleagues, etc.

The Middle East in general is quite opposed to alcohol, for better or worse.
I seem to recall there is a brewery in Amman, though...... And there is some excellent Lebanese wine. Château Musar?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you find embarrassing, specifically? I know some who become louder or more outgoing than usual without going overboard (e.g., crossing others' boundaries or causing trouble). In a bar setting, I think loudness and (harmless) silliness are so expected as to not really be embarrassing in most cases.

My mother's a drunk. She sometimes discloses too much, and then when she realizes she probably shouldn't have said that, she gets a little red faced.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
My mother's a drunk. She sometimes discloses too much, and then when she realizes she probably shouldn't have said that, she gets a little red faced.

That's not fun at all. I think people should avoid drinking to that point if they start engaging in such undesirable behaviors.

Being around closer friends and getting harmlessly tipsy, on the other hand, can be an amazing experience.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I seem to recall there is a brewery in Amman, though...... And there is some excellent Lebanese wine. Château Musar?

Egypt has breweries too. The industry exists in some Middle Eastern countries, but it's certainly not endorsed by the general population in most of them.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Although I do have a live and let live attitude about responsible drinking, I've witnessed a lot of horrible things due to booze. I also don't know how it seems to get a free pass with regard to government policy. Very few ads about the negativity, and lots of ads for the positivity. Perhaps it has a very strong lobby group.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Here we go again! A topic where we get to decide what we should permit other people to do or enjoy!

Tell you what -- pay no attention to me and my preferences, and you'll have a lot less angst to deal with.

Of course, if I drink and drive, arrest me, I'll deserve it. But if I like a beer with my friends, or a carafe of wine with my dinner, why on earth do you give a ****?

amorphous_constellation

Here we go again! A topic where we get to decide what we should permit other people to do or enjoy!

Tell you what -- pay no attention to me and my preferences, and you'll have a lot less angst to deal with.

In my opinion, I think it is not good to parent with it. It should be regulated in conjunction with parenting. I think I may have had a rather objectively detectable amount of damage from having a drunken dad, but society does not care

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
In my opinion, I think it is not good to parent with it. It should be regulated in conjunction with parenting. I think I may have had a rather objectively detectable amount of damage from having a drunken dad, but society does not care
Okay, so no parenting with alcohol. How about sugar, honey, maple syrup? You know, too much of those is not good for people, yet they all "taste like more!" Should we regulate such things? Just two teaspoons of syrup on the morning pancakes?

Live as you'd like, but stop worrying about how other people are living -- they are none of your business!

amorphous_constellation

Okay, so no parenting with alcohol. How about sugar, honey, maple syrup? You know, too much of those is not good for people, yet they all "taste like more!" Should we regulate such things? Just two teaspoons of syrup on the morning pancakes?

I'm sorry, I don't believe you can understand what I experienced due to this. Like i said, society doesn't care that my dad drank a huge case of beer every night, yelling and screaming when I was supposed to do homework

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I'm sorry, I don't believe you can understand what I experienced due to this. Like i said, society doesn't care that my dad drank a huge case of beer every night, yelling and screaming when I was supposed to do homework
And I wonder if you understand that the problem might not have been the existence of alcohol, but your father's behaviour. If you think the government could have corrected the latter by prohibiting alcohol, then you have not read your history.

I am sorry for what you suffered, and I know more about it than you think. But you can't fix that sort of thing by banning what people can get anyway. That only leads to much, much worse.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Kids tend to reject the choices of their parents (indeed, a few have suggested as much in this thread).

So as a result, I've developed a solid drinking habit in the hopes of promoting sobriety in my daughters. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

This is father of the year stuff. I'm firing off an email to Albo, your selfless heroism must be rewarded.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
This is father of the year stuff. I'm firing off an email to Albo, you're selfless heroism must be rewarded.

Thanks. But it's the easy option. Imagine if I applied this theory to ensure they don't have cheap and degrading one night stands with truckers at freeway rest stops...

My sacrifices have limits.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I only drink very occasionally nowadays, usually once or twice a month at most and nothing too hard even then.

Alcohol can be fun in very controlled, occasional circumstances (and getting tipsy can also be quite relaxing), but I view regular drinking as overly risky, unhealthy, and not worth the hassle. I'll take an espresso instead almost any day of the week.

Well...why does it have to be an either/or choice?
;)

210506-dainton-choctail-mockup-1000px.png

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I have not successfully recovered from being raised by a raging alcoholic, so in that sense, I think that this isn't about beliefs for me, but something closer to objective knowledge. Certain individuals simply shouldn't use it. Maybe it does work for some, but I haven't met that many people like that.

Would I regulate it? I guess a view I come to some times, is that you should be completely free to do as much as you want, but you shouldn't have kids if you do. Think about it, society allowed my father to drink a giant pack of high alcoholic volume beer every night, and he become cantankerous to the point where I could not really study for school, at times. He finally had to quit, when diabetes kicked in, way later. But if I bring up what he was like, he will still say it's my fault if I didn't get enough sleep, if he was yelling or something.

With any problem I have had in life, he always said 'it's your choice' to succeed or not, up to and including my trying to study, when he was arguing all night with my ma. Alcohol fueled it, but society does not care

So the point is, I think you can do whatever you want, but the application to have children should probably assert some stricter regulation. A question on it might say something like, 'do you drink a giant pack of beer every night?' If so, how does that make for good parenting

I mean...if there was a magic way to restrict parenting to only those who'd be good parents, there'd be a lot less kids.
But I drink (albeit in moderation for the most part) and I think I'd pass the test, for lots of reasons.

Booze or not, your dad might have just been a crappy father. It's quite common.

Working out a way to address that in a pragmatic sense is much trickier than simply deciding alcohol is bad.