• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: As to alcohol and its use

What are your thoughts regarding alcohol?

• Ban it everywhere!

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Alcohol is evil - avoid it completely

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Alcohol is bad news for some

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Alcohol can be just another addiction

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Alcohol consumption is OK if controlled

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Alcohol provides much enjoyment to many

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I can take it or leave it

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Not for me but live and let live

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Hey, it's natural!

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Something else - and explain

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

exchemist

Veteran Member
Whether influenced by your own experiences or by a particular belief, what is your opinion regarding alcohol?
Taken in moderation it is one of the simple pleasures of life. It is a social lubricant and wine in particular adds greatly to the enjoyment of good food. It has been used in this way by many societies around the Mediterranean for thousands of years. The world would be a much poorer place without it.

The relationship of Northern European societies to alcohol is less healthy. There is often an element of drinking to get drunk and a macho aspect to it as well. And it does not necessarily revolve around eating (e.g. the UK pub culture). When I lived in the States I found the relationship with alcohol hard to fathom and at times a bit schizophrenic. Some people treated it as a drug, speaking of "using" alcohol as if it were cocaine or amphetamines. Others would drink beer but said they never touched "hard liquor" (spirits). And some used to drink far too much - and then try to drive:eek:. I definitely got the feeling the US is not at ease with drinking. This may be a long term legacy of the prohibition era, I suppose.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Never heard of that one.

download (6).jpeg

It's an Australian beer, (also made under licence in the UK which is how I've heard about it). I've never tried it myself but have it on good authority by several beer drinking Australians that its really canned gnats ****.

Perhaps @lewisnotmiller and @John53 can enlighten you.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
View attachment 65554

It's an Australian beer, (also made under licence in the UK which is how I've heard about it). I've never tried it myself but have it on good authority by several beer drinking Australians that its really canned gnats ****.

No it's not, it's Australian sewer water we export to the rest of the world. No Australian has ever drunk it.

amorphous_constellation

I have not successfully recovered from being raised by a raging alcoholic, so in that sense, I think that this isn't about beliefs for me, but something closer to objective knowledge. Certain individuals simply shouldn't use it. Maybe it does work for some, but I haven't met that many people like that.

Would I regulate it? I guess a view I come to some times, is that you should be completely free to do as much as you want, but you shouldn't have kids if you do. Think about it, society allowed my father to drink a giant pack of high alcoholic volume beer every night, and he become cantankerous to the point where I could not really study for school, at times. He finally had to quit, when diabetes kicked in, way later. But if I bring up what he was like, he will still say it's my fault if I didn't get enough sleep, if he was yelling or something.

With any problem I have had in life, he always said 'it's your choice' to succeed or not, up to and including my trying to study, when he was arguing all night with my ma. Alcohol fueled it, but society does not care

So the point is, I think you can do whatever you want, but the application to have children should probably assert some stricter regulation. A question on it might say something like, 'do you drink a giant pack of beer every night?' If so, how does that make for good parenting

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
I HATE this absurdity of "cooking" wine, brandy, sherry and all that. It tastes horrible, it's likely the worst wines ever made, I have to assume the only ones using it are hobbyist cooks of the lowest calibre as they clearly have no idea of the principles and concepts behind using various additives and ingredients in cooking.
Show people, and yourself, you at least give half a damn about your cooking and use real wine.
Agreed. Though I do have a bottle of Marsala in the kitchen which I use for making saltimbocca and never drink. And there is some dry martini in the fridge which is 90% used for making risottos (I love dry martinis, but as each one is 3 units of alcohol, one uses up my ration for the evening* and I generally prefer wine with the meal.)

* I am prone to occasional atrial fibrillation nowadays so I need to restrict myself to about 12 units per week, with no more than 3-4max units on any one evening. That concentrates the mind when it comes to choosing what to drink. If I'm offered something not very good, (e.g. prosecco :confused: or international lager or, worst of all, US "Budweiser" :confused::mad:) I decline, have a soft drink and save my ration for some good stuff on another occasion. By the way I have found a good soft drink aperitif though: tonic water with ice and a couple of splashes of angostura bitters, with a slice of lemon.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
View attachment 65554

It's a joke we play on the rest of the world by exporting the watered down outflow of our sewerage farms just to see who is silly enough to drink it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Kids tend to reject the choices of their parents (indeed, a few have suggested as much in this thread).

So as a result, I've developed a solid drinking habit in the hopes of promoting sobriety in my daughters. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I only drink very occasionally nowadays, usually once or twice a month at most and nothing too hard even then.

Alcohol can be fun in very controlled, occasional circumstances (and getting tipsy can also be quite relaxing), but I view regular drinking as overly risky, unhealthy, and not worth the hassle. I'll take an espresso instead almost any day of the week.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Kids tend to reject the choices of their parents (indeed, a few have suggested as much in this thread).

So as a result, I've developed a solid drinking habit in the hopes of promoting sobriety in my daughter's. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
Hmm. My son quizzes me on wine and beer - and then fills me in on what he's been drinking in Scotland at university:eek:. At least he's now no longer drinking Tennent's at the students' union bar, which is a step forward. I give him good wine when he's with me, to discourage him from necking huge quantities of bad wine when he's up there. One lives in hope.......

amorphous_constellation

but I view regular drinking as overly risky, unhealthy, and not worth the hassle.

And it affects the people around the alcoholic. But I really think that we probably can objectively say that society doesn't care. It doesn't care here, or elsewhere, so it's a pretty worldwide thing. It did nothing to prevent my dad from absolutely gorging on high volume beer every night. It only steps in when something major goes wrong

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I use a lot of wine and liqueurs in cooking. I don't like to drink alcohol and get nasty hangovers if I do. I don't even like being around drunk people. However, if I haven't had any alcohol for more than 3 months, I will look for an excuse to break the fifth (pardon the pun) precept, often creating a ritual around it.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
And it affects the people around the alcoholic. But I really think that we probably can objectively say that society doesn't care. It doesn't care here, or elsewhere, so it's a pretty worldwide thing.

It very much cares where I live: alcohol is highly taboo, and many have to hide their drinking habit from family, colleagues, etc.

The Middle East in general is quite opposed to alcohol, for better or worse.