• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: As to alcohol and its use

What are your thoughts regarding alcohol?

• Ban it everywhere!

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Alcohol is evil - avoid it completely

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Alcohol is bad news for some

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Alcohol can be just another addiction

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Alcohol consumption is OK if controlled

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Alcohol provides much enjoyment to many

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I can take it or leave it

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Not for me but live and let live

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Hey, it's natural!

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Something else - and explain

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Whether influenced by your own experiences or by a particular belief, what is your opinion regarding alcohol?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'll add that much of my early life was in social drinking a few beers with some friends, mostly two nights a week, and in today's terms not that excessive. My parents were hardly drinkers apart from a sherry or so on special occasions. My mother's father was a drunk who abused her, so I'm sure we can all understand why she might not be so drawn to alcohol. My father too for whatever reasons did much the same. Both of my elder brothers drank beer much like myself but not to excess as far as I can tell. We did overdo it occasionally though.

This carried on for me much the same over the years. In later life I have become more of a wino, usually with a meal, but perhaps over the guidelines. I can also drink cider, and various spirits, but beer and wine are my favourites, and white wine being a preference - such a variety to enjoy.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I drank a lot in my younger years. Gin, mostly. I lived with a man I was terrified of, and it was the only thing he wouldn't drink. (He was even less agreeable when drunk.)

I was, however, the world's most boring drunk. Most people hadn't any idea I'd had any at all. I used it to cope with anxiety; the medications were worse than the booze.

Once I left, the habit didn't go away completely. Change takes time. Over the years I tapered off. I don't drink much anymore; if I do, its a light drink.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Whether influenced by your own experiences or by a particular belief, what is your opinion regarding alcohol?
I was a boozer for many years.
In a former life I worked for a charity that helped people with addictions. The main thing I learned was that anyone can end up abusing alcohol, dependent on life circumstances. Most haven't planned on it.
Drunken episodes cause untold problems - physical and mental health issues, domestic abuse and public violence.
Tonight's tipple will be a beer made conforming to the Reinheitsgebot, and a fruity spirit:

35BDF534-C1B5-4850-8A10-C07590ABDDFC.jpeg

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Not for me. I can't say it's for me anyway cuz im under 21 and that would break RF rules but even if i was 21 i wouldnt drink. I don't like the idea of my mind being numbed I like having my wits about me. I dont even want to get buzzed cuz then my mental state is changed and im would not be as alert and responsive. I do do altered states but none with substances and all of those states I still keep my survival instincts. I still am alert and able to think. Or able to be pulled quickly into a state of mind that is fully capable of thinking clearly. And always allow my mind to go to an altered state only if I'm somewhere safe.

That being said if others want to drink that's fine

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Not for me. I can't say it's for me anyway cuz im under 21 and that would break RF rules but even if i was 21 i wouldnt drink. I don't like the idea of my mind being numbed I like having my wits about me. I dont even want to get buzzed cuz then my mental state is changed and im would not be as alert and responsive. I do do altered states but none with substances but all of those states I still keep my survival instincts. I still am alert and able to think. Or able to be pulled quickly into a state of mind that is fully capable of thinking clearly. And always allow my mind to go to an altered state only if I'm somewhere safe.

That being said if others want to drink that's fine
I think a lot of people will drink to a lot lower level than what you mention here, so as the alcohol mainly acting as a relaxing agent and encouraging rapport with others. And perhaps most will know how much alcohol is safe and fine for them. Many unfortunately don't or make mistakes, and it is the nature of alcohol - the effects hitting later - as to why so many perhaps drink too much - feeling OK at the time.

VoidCat

I think a lot of people will drink to a lot lower level than what you mention here, so as the alcohol mainly acting as a relaxing agent and encouraging rapport with others. And perhaps most will know how much alcohol is safe and fine for them. Many unfortunately don't or make mistakes, and it is the nature of alcohol - the effects hitting later - as to why so many perhaps drink too much - feeling OK at the time.
I wouldn't feel safe consuming it. Just wouldn't. I have a reason why i wouldnt lightly consume it just as a relaxing agent but due to RF rules i cant post it.

VoidCat

I wouldn't feel safe consuming it. Just wouldn't. I have a reason why i wouldnt lightly consume it just as a relaxing agent but due to RF rules i cant post it.
The most I can say that won't break the rules i dont think is I have some trauma and some of it had alcohol involved. I can't say much more then that.

Edit: I can also say I've never been drunk so there is that.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Two random factoids:

Lots of foods contain alcohol (eg fruits and breads)

The human body creates alcohol.

"... if sugar is present in anything you eat you are consuming a small amount of alcohol, indeed everyone produces alcohol within their bodies every day. They do so regardless of age, race, or religion. The rate can increase because of diet. But even if your religion forbids alcohol, you produce it anyway. And, like everyone else, you will do so as long as they live. The process is endogenous ethanol production. And we may produce up to about one ounce of pure alcohol in a day, indeed some people produce too much alcohol in their gut and become very ill with ABS.

You may also not realise that Alcohol is present in many of the food you eat every day, fermented foods such as yogurt and baked goods (bread, rolls, etc.) contain alcohol. But so do fruits and fruit juices. And alcohol levels are higher as the fruit ripens or as time passes before the fruit juice is consumed.

A few examples are:

Soy sauces are about 1.5% – 2% alcohol.

Mustard often contains wine or other alcohol.

Vinegar usually contains 0.3% to 0.4% alcohol.

Burger rolls can contain up to 1.28g per 100g thus 1.28% ABV

A Ripe Banana can contain up to 0.4g per 100g thus 0.4% ABV

Rye Bread can contain up to 0.18g per 100g thus 0.18% ABV.

There are also many other food & drinks that contain alcohol from Vanilla extract to Coca Cola and there is no food labeling that determines that you are informed about them."

- Definition of Alcohol Free - Alcohol Free Drinks

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I gave up most drinking on new year's day 1988. The hangover continued for another 2 days. There were several other red flags I won't go in to here.

Since then i will sip a toast and have the occasional glass of wine on celebrations.

But... But... But...

I use an awful lot of wine, and sometimes cognac in cooking. Try a bolognese sauce or chilli con carne made without water. In it's place use a bottle of good red wine. It gives such richness to the sauce.

One hint, if you wouldn't drink it then don't cook with it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't like the idea of my mind being numbed
Alcohol doesn't really do that. When drank responsibly it's a "social lube" at events with an open bar. It helps us relax and open up.
Amd even beyond that it's still not numb as the inhibitions can grow to being obnoxious when one has started to have too much, with a funny feeling in the head accompanying it. And when you've had entirely way too much your mind feels like crap as your on the floor and the world is spinning.
The real issue is very many people encourage drinking too much and irresponsibly. That's when it moves from being a pleasant and mild high to feeling sick, being loud, losing control, blacking out, puking, passing out and so on.
It really is about responsible consumption. Unfortunately this culture encourages and promotes irresponsible drinking and over dosing.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
One hint, if you wouldn't drink it then don't cook with it.
I HATE this absurdity of "cooking" wine, brandy, sherry and all that. It tastes horrible, it's likely the worst wines ever made, I have to assume the only ones using it are hobbyist cooks of the lowest calibre as they clearly have no idea of the principles and concepts behind using various additives and ingredients in cooking.
Show people, and yourself, you at least give half a damn about your cooking and use real wine.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Alcohol isn't my drug. I don't drink for the effect, I drink what tastes good, mostly mead and whisky, sometimes beer or wine and the occasional amaretto with or in my coffee.
I've been drunk (blackout drunk) once when I was about 14. That cured me from ever drinking to much ever again.

VoidCat

Alcohol doesn't really do that. When drank responsibly it's a "social lube" at events with an open bar. It helps us relax and open up.
Amd even beyond that it's still not numb as the inhibitions can grow to being obnoxious when one has started to have too much, with a funny feeling in the head accompanying it. And when you've had entirely way too much your mind feels like crap as your on the floor and the world is spinning.
The real issue is very many people encourage drinking too much and irresponsibly. That's when it moves from being a pleasant and mild high to feeling sick, being loud, losing control, blacking out, puking, passing out and so on.
It really is about responsible consumption. Unfortunately this culture encourages and promotes irresponsible drinking and over dosing.
Like i said I've never been drunk. I honestly dont know much about drinking having never drank a lot. I cannot say much more then that due to RF rules. I got to be careful on what I say here... I do have some trauma regarding alcohol but it wasn't cuz of me drinking but someone else. Something i witnessed. I just wouldnt feel safe drinking it. That's the best I can do saying that much here. There's also another reason unrelated to trauma but that reason i cant list due to rules as well.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Like i said I've never been drunk. I honestly dont know much about drinking having never drank a lot. I cannot say much more then that due to RF rules. I got to be careful on what I say here... I do have some trauma regarding alcohol but it wasn't cuz of me drinking but someone else. Something i witnessed. I just wouldnt feel safe drinking it. That's the best I can do saying that much here. There's also another reason unrelated to trauma but that reason i cant list due to rules as well.
Don't worry, I'm sure we've all drunk Miller Lite.