• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plant feelings

lunamoth

Will to love
Friend luamoth,
Maybe what you are saying is right
However let us talk about CONSCIOUSNESS.
Do you agree that every thing has one?
even stones?

Love & rgds

I would not agree with that in the typical meaning of the word, as in self-awareness.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
I agree with both Storm and Zenzero. All energy has some form of consciousness. If a rock or a plant or any energy form has an action and a reaction, how is having consciousness any different? Something hurts us, it sends a signal to our body and our body generates a response...pain, ouch! There was an action and there was a reaction. When you drop a rock on the ground it responds does it not? It makes a noise and it might crack in half. Action and reaction. All is "animate" energy and consciousness. If energy did not have at least some form of consciousness, how would it be possible for it to change form of it's own accord? It is the "spirit" that is in all things. But that's my opinion.

Last edited:

lunamoth

Will to love
What about earthworms?

I don't know as much about earthworms.

They have a nervous system and a cerebral ganglion so they are way ahead of plants in that area.

What exactly are you asking about earthworms?

Whether they can feel (sure).

Whether they have emotions? What do you think?

lunamoth

Will to love
What about earthworms?

Sorry, I missed it that you are asking whether they have self-awareness. That seems like a pretty high brain function to me. I would not think so, not like humans and other animals do. What do you think?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend lunamoth,
Words are used only as pointers towards an understanding.
What is consciousness maybe awareness to you however if the understanding is there then words are immaterial.
Does all plants and even stones have awareness or not?
Love & rgds

lunamoth

Will to love
Friend lunamoth,
Words are used only as pointers towards an understanding.
What is consciousness maybe awareness to you however if the understanding is there then words are immaterial.
Does all plants and even stones have awareness or not?
Love & rgds

The way I use those words, no, plants and rocks do not have awareness and consciousness.

If you equate consciousness = energy as Runewolf said, I'd say that everything does have energy in some form, potential or kinetic.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
I offer this Nationmaster encyclopedia article for a more balanced view of Bose's experiments and the so-called "Backster Effect". This research is largely regarded by scientists as pseudoscience, because the experiments have all been subject to serious flaws and/or lack of repeatability. It is clearly the case in humans that our emotions are connected with activity in the limbic system, and conscious awareness is clearly associated with activity in the central nervous system, something which plants lack completely. This is not to deny that plants "communicate" by chemical means with each other, but what is going on with the Backster Effect seems to be pure projection of human experience and human properties onto forms of life that do not possess the equipment we know to be necessary for such experiences in humans.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Lunamoth,
Yes, you agree it is energy and friend Runewolf also agrees that this energy is same as consciousness or awareness which is universal.
Your views.
Love & rgds

lunamoth

Will to love
Friend Lunamoth,
Yes, you agree it is energy and friend Runewolf also agrees that this energy is same as consciousness or awareness which is universal.
Your views.
Love & rgds

Actually, I don't agree that all energy = consciousness. I agree that all things have energy in some form. I don't agree that makes them conscious.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I've read that trees have unique DNA....each individual tree. Do you think that's the same for all plant species?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Buttercup,
Can only take an estimated guess that like humans, plants animals too would have unique DNA. Why not?
Love & rgds

lunamoth

Will to love
I've read that trees have unique DNA....each individual tree. Do you think that's the same for all plant species?

What do you mean by unique DNA?

For some reason that is ringing a bell, but I'd have to research it to find out more.

There is a lot of variation in how similar DNA is among individuals in a population of plants. Sometimes the plants are literally clones of each other, as in large aspen stands that propagate underground. Other times there will be more variation in the genes. But, as for any species, the DNA between individuals is largely conserved.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend lunamoth,

Actually, I don't agree that all energy = consciousness. I agree that all things have energy in some form. I don't agree that makes them conscious.

At least we have understood each other now to a point.
Personal understand remains energy to be what universal consciousness or what you say awareness IS.
It is not that some one makes something conscious. Consciousness is the core of all beings which is energy in every thing.
Love & rgds

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Are you talking about something like this:

Science.gc.ca - Tree DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid)

This case is referring to using DNA fingerprinting (like they do in criminal forensics) to see if a tree was taken from a particular place.
Yes. Sorry, I didn't know how else to get the point across except to say "unique DNA" although I know it was redundant. I worded it as such because most people wouldn't think that each individual plant has a DNA different from it's neighbor of the same species. Pretty fascinating.

lunamoth

Will to love
Yes. Sorry, I didn't know how else to get the point across except to say "unique DNA" although I know it was redundant. I worded it as such because most people wouldn't think that each individual plant has a DNA different from it's neighbor of the same species. Pretty fascinating.

It is very interesting. :)

As I said above, some plant species will have greater genetic variation between individuals than others. While in theory you should be able to be able to identify individual plants by DNA fingerprinting, in practicality this will depend on a lot of factors, such as whether the plants are domesticated or wild, how they usually propagate (sexual vs asexual reproduction), and other things. All the plants in a hybrid corn field, for example, will be virtually identical at the DNA level.