• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pillars of Happiness

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In your life, what would you say are the core, or essential, things from which your happiness is built upon?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Three things:

---crush your enemies.

---see them driven before you.

---hear the lamentations of their women.

(I'll try and come up with a better answer after I've given it some more thought. :D)

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Three things:

---crush your enemies.

---see them driven before you.

---hear the lamentations of their women.

(I'll try and come up with a better answer after I've given it some more thought. :D)
Okay Conan. ;)

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
More honestly:

---health.

---feeling useful.

---having something worthwhile to focus on.

The first one isn't a prerequisite, but it makes it easier.

None of the above is absolutely necessary though. I've found that, barring any overwhelming reasons not to be, it's possible to just choose to be happy at any given moment.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Knowing that I am totally responsible for my emotions and my reaction to said emotions.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Happiness is a condition I allow to flourish in myself regardless of external circumstances. I will grant that external circumstances can make this allowance more or less difficult, but ultimately, I am the one who decides to be happy or not happy based on the expectations I formulate about my life. I can choose to whine and complain and fixate on all the things I don't have or I can choose to celebrate and appreciate and be grateful for all the things I do have.

Straw Dog

Hey Pen,

In your life, what would you say are the core, or essential, things from which your happiness is built upon?

I view positive emotions as means for gauging well-being. They help to determine a proper calculation of choices and action. I don't see happiness as something with a solid foundation, but as a dynamic product of physical, psychological, and social well-being.

The primary things that seem to produce positive emotion for me are abiding in presence, exercise, coitus, companionship, comedy, flow, being useful, and contemplating nature.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Having frequent opportunities to feel of use to other people.

Being recognized, acknowledged and valued as a fellow human being.

Effective communication with others.

And a couple that may be lost to me, mainly dealing with family.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
A mixture of ignorance is helpful but not recommended in the long run.

Happiness for me stems from the lack of empathy, ego and self awareness to my own life and by having such unshakable qualities I can be happy and never feel the issues others have. I am an extremely happy and carefree person with astonishing low capability to be concerned with things.

My happiness has been tested before with stress, death of loved ones, and even rejection.

True happiness truly comes from lack of concern and the lacking of social qualities not the abundance of them.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
My tribe, my knowledge and my God.

(i.e., kith, kin, community, spirituality, learning)

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Well, being your average basketful of bliss, this is harder for me to answer than one might suspect.

Seriously though:

- a need to pursue my own volition - wherever it leads. I need space...
- I need downtime away from others - otherwise I'd probably drive them insane.
- I need to get my hands dirty, with intense physical labor (Today I'm the arborist.)
- I need to try new things/approaches. I'm a bit relentless, just so I cover all my bases.

Observing this regimen has given me so much happiness over the years I cannot begin to describe.

*picks up pruning shears and step ladder... wanders off for the day*

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I see it as a mixture of self-acceptance, acceptance of the current circumstances around me, and deciding to always venture into the future Unknown continuing to maintain that measure of acceptance of the past and the present.

It's an ongoing journey, Happiness is. Sometimes I am able to nail it. And many times I fall either just short or am way off the mark. But when it happens, score one for me.

Straw Dog

I also agree with this.

Knowing that I am totally responsible for my emotions and my reaction to said emotions.

Not only reactions, but taking deliberate responsibility for our choices and fully accepting the consequences seems to be crucial for experiencing positive emotions, like happiness, and cultivating long-term well-being and flourishing. I don't place any static emphasis on fleeting emotions as the end of rational-ethical-esthetic living, but they do play a necessary role in the dynamic process of living well. I mean, even negative emotions play a part when observed in the proper context with the aid of reasoning faculties.

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Love, sex, career, archaeology, exploring, traveling, transcendence, healthy materialism, photography, trekking, outdoors, and in general a healthy combination of getting dirty, sweating, and knowing when to relax and have fun.
When my life is balanced between constructive work, healthy relationships, good material life and exploring I'm generally satisfied, my real quality or perhaps weakness according to some people has always been that when everything breaks down, at my core I'm really an optimist. If there is one rock-hard certainty that had sustained me through the bad times, then it is the utter surety that I would come out on top, and that the universe will look after me as long as I keep fighting and remain determined.