• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philosophy needs to be in Schools

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I don't mean in college. I think Philosophy is important for critical thinking and developing ambition.

Why isn't philosophy in public schools?

No wonder society is getting so dull and mundane...

dust1n

Zindīq
I'd agree. Adolescents and teens have all the built angriness and skepticism. It's a shame we don't foster it and use it, but rather deny them, which just generally causes kids to become cynical towards education.

Wirey

Fartist
You guys are nuts. If we teach kids to think, they'll discover the joy of knowledge. When that happens, they'll stop watching TV and reading books. That means they won't see commercials that show them being slightly unattractive is a death sentence. They'll stop purchasing hair gel and cars and take out food once they realize self-worth and appearance should be unrelated. Then where will we be? No more panic purchases in an attempt to find love, and plooof! The economy just bit the bullet. Is that what you want? Huh? Filthy commies!

Just let everyone's brain slowly turn to mush until the Chinese take over. I wonder what's on TV?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Eh, now that I'm a bit more out of the academic circuit and interacting with your typical American again, I can't help but recognize your average American is intellectually lazy and more concerned with trivial matters than the profound mysteries of reality and the universe. I don't think philosophy would fix that.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon

Skwim

Veteran Member
I don't see more than kid or two in any high school class electing to take philosophy, and it certainly doesn't qualify as a requirement. That said, I do see including critical thinking and basic logic in some form in senior high.

GodlessAtheist

I agree that today's generation is definitely in need of a little heavy thinking, but it would only lead to conflict. What Philosophy? Religious or non? If so, what religion? It's just like the teaching Evolution in schools conflict, a new problem will arise with every agreement.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I've always liked that Philosophy can encompass the religious and the non-religious, and that is how I'd personally prefer to have it. I have never neglected to read a Philosopher simply because they were Atheist. Let both be presented and let students reason them out. After all, shouldn't students think for themselves? :)

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Some schools do teach philosophy, I'm taking it in 11th grade.

I don't think it should be required, as we were taught how to think in preschool and kindergarten. A lot of kids grow up thinking and reasoning on their own, naturally, I know I was one of those kids.

xkatz

I don't mean in college. I think Philosophy is important for critical thinking and developing ambition.

Why isn't philosophy in public schools?

No wonder society is getting so dull and mundane...

Amen! I took philosophy this past spring. To say the least it really challenges people to think which is one of the things I love about it. Philosophy is one of the most important things we as humans have.

Mr. Skittles

Let me also add that I graduated with my B.A in psychology and my B.A in philosophy. Even college grads didnt like philosophy. If your going to teach philosophy the professor.must not be textbook. You will lose students. If philosophy is going to be taught it must coincide with today's youth.

LongGe123

Philosophy is an optional subject taught in secondary schools in England. I did it for A-level. It was a great subject, split between "Religious Ethics" and "The Philosophy of Religion". I loved the ethics class in particular. It was in that class I learned about absolutism and relativism. There are tons of "isms" to remember in both classes. I also remember getting mad at Immanuel Kant for having the nerve to pass judgments on how everyone in the world should be living their lives, when HE never strayed more than 10-20 miles from his hometown!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, good old philosophy of religion. Most of the courses named such might as well be titled "philosophy of classical monotheism" given that is all that they ever seem to cover, particularly the Christian variety of classical monotheism. If philosophy of religion courses were actually philosophy of religion I would have taken it at some point in my academic career. I bet some instructors do a more balanced take and include other religious paradigms, but it seems to be the exception rather than the norm.

dust1n

Zindīq
Eh, now that I'm a bit more out of the academic circuit and interacting with your typical American again, I can't help but recognize your average American is intellectually lazy and more concerned with trivial matters than the profound mysteries of reality and the universe. I don't think philosophy would fix that.

It couldn't have hurt. :shrug:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I loved the ethics class in particular. It was in that class I learned about absolutism and relativism. There are tons of "isms" to remember in both classes. I also remember getting mad at Immanuel Kant for having the nerve to pass judgments on how everyone in the world should be living their lives, when HE never strayed more than 10-20 miles from his hometown!
:D This is why I avoid ethics.