• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PETA: are you for them or against them?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I don't think this is tasteless. The way we treat animals is the same as we have treated fellow human beings. It's horrible. To pretend that it isn't so bad to do the same to animals is extremely ignorant.
So I take no issue with such a comment.

From the article:
'The very same mindset that made the Holocaust possible – that we can do anything we want to those we decide are 'different' or 'inferior' – is what allows us to commit atrocities against animals every single day," said PETA youth outreach coordinator Matt Prescott'

This is a true statement, an not at all extreme.
There is a difference between humans, and other animals. Yes, humans are animals, but there is a very large distinction between the two. Which is why we are not classified as just animals, but the classification system goes much further.

Yes, there are some sick treatment of animals out there. However, a lot of it is also over exaggerated. I've worked on various farms, and the animals, for the most part, are treated very humanely. And the thing is, people raise those animals for nothing more than to be food. Abusing the animals produces a lesser quality product, which fetches less money, and thus is a loss for the business.

Again, yes, some of the treatment, in some facilities, are not always the best. But that is a minority, and is greatly blown out of proportion. And yes, there is a difference between humans and animals. Killing chickens is not like exterminating Jews during the Holocaust. That is simply insulting, and devalues human life, which is why the whole thing even happened.

TJ73

Do you have sources? I find this quite shocking. It seems completely contradictory to their mission.
- Terrierman's Daily Dose -
PETA's Dirty Secret - Peta Kills Animals
PETA and Euthanasia - Newsweek

There's plenty more if you like. I can not remember the exact source for the particular story I watched where they actually posed as loving people wanting to adopt pets just to kill and toss them in the dumpster but it happened.

They are more bent on being heard than being good. They have the least understanding I have ever encountered about companion animals like horses, dogs and cats. Animals that I have spent my entire adult life studying and caring for. They want me to set my poodles, pitbulls and cats free into the "wild" or have them killed rather than spend their lives with me.

TJ73

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals: Funding sources, staff profiles, and political agenda
-Ingrid Newkirk, PETA vice-president, quoted in The Harper's Forum Book, Jack Hitt, ed., 1989, p.223.

"It is time we demand an end to the misguided and abusive concept of animal ownership. The first step on this long, but just, road would be ending the concept of pet ownership."

"As John Bryant has written in his book Fettered Kingdoms, they [pets] are like slaves, even if well-kept slaves."

-PETA's Statement on Companion Animals

"The bottom line is that people don't have the right to manipulate or to breed dogs and cats ... If people want toys they should buy inanimate objects. If they want companionship they should seek it with their own kind."

-Ingrid Newkirk, President, PETA, "Animals," May/June 1993

"You don't have to own squirrels and starlings to get enjoyment from them ... One day, we would like an end to pet shops and the breeding of animals. [Dogs] would pursue their natural lives in the wild ... they would have full lives, not wasting at home for someone to come home in the evening and pet them and then sit there and watch TV."

-Ingrid Newkirk, President, PETA, Chicago Daily Herald, March 1, 1990.

"Pet ownership is an abysmal situation brought about by human manipulation."

-Ingrid Newkirk, President, PETA, Washingtonian, August 1986

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
There is a difference between humans, and other animals. Yes, humans are animals, but there is a very large distinction between the two. Which is why we are not classified as just animals, but the classification system goes much further.

Yes, there are some sick treatment of animals out there. However, a lot of it is also over exaggerated. I've worked on various farms, and the animals, for the most part, are treated very humanely. And the thing is, people raise those animals for nothing more than to be food. Abusing the animals produces a lesser quality product, which fetches less money, and thus is a loss for the business.

Again, yes, some of the treatment, in some facilities, are not always the best. But that is a minority, and is greatly blown out of proportion. And yes, there is a difference between humans and animals. Killing chickens is not like exterminating Jews during the Holocaust. That is simply insulting, and devalues human life, which is why the whole thing even happened.

You are right, those chickens are bred with the intention of being slaughtered. How humane.
I'm not devaluing human life, I'm giving value to animal life. It's funny how we see this differently. You think I'm insulting humans. But what I see is that you are blinding yourself to the disgraceful treatment of non-human animals.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
I don't think this is tasteless. The way we treat animals is the same as we have treated fellow human beings. It's horrible. To pretend that it isn't so bad to do the same to animals is extremely ignorant.
So I take no issue with such a comment.

From the article:
'The very same mindset that made the Holocaust possible – that we can do anything we want to those we decide are 'different' or 'inferior' – is what allows us to commit atrocities against animals every single day," said PETA youth outreach coordinator Matt Prescott'

This is a true statement, an not at all extreme.
I'm not for animal cruelty or being inhumane to them, but I certainly don't put any animal up to the level of a human.
And animals raised for consumption. Humans aren't so again the comparison IMO was tasteless.
There is an appetite for chickens, cows, etc. But the Jews were killed to try to obliterate a race. Big difference.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Do you have sources? I find this quite shocking. It seems completely contradictory to their mission.
DON'T BE FOOLED by the slick propaganda of PETA, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. The organization may claim to champion the welfare of animals, as the many photos of cute puppies and kittens on its Web site suggest. But last week, two PETA employees were charged with 31 felony counts of animal cruelty each, after authorities found them dumping the dead bodies of 18 animals they had just picked up from a North Carolina animal shelter into a Dumpster. According to the Associated Press, 13 more dead animals were found in a van registered to PETA.

Better dead than fed, PETA says - SFGate

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not for animal cruelty or being inhumane to them, but I certainly don't put any animal up to the level of a human.
And animals raised for consumption. Humans aren't so again the comparison IMO was tasteless.
There is an appetite for chickens, cows, etc. But the Jews were killed to try to obliterate a race. Big difference.

That is your opinion. And this attitude, I feel, ignores a lot of issues.
I think the point that PETA was making in this particular case is completely justified. They are making a point about mindset (refer to the quote I pasted in a previous post).

And this is a fact. You say you are not for inhumane treatment of animals. But the very fact that we breed them for food is inhumane in my opinion. Humans objectify animals, so we do not bother putting ourselves into their shoes- empathising.

In a natural setting, these animals are independent. Humans have manipulated things in such a way that these animals' lives are for the specific purpose of dying for our own pleasure (yes, pleasure. Meat is not a dietary necessity).

So what we essentially do is devalue these animals, treat them as something inferior, as something that does not truly matter except for our own selfish benefit. They are mass slaughtered. Millions upon millions every year. A lot of them have really messed up existences and most are killed when they are still young.

To me, that's pretty horrific. By comparing the treatment of animals to the holocaust is not insulting. It's necessary. So maybe some few people out there will start to think that what we do to animals is not right at all. In fact, it's completely sickening.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
DON'T BE FOOLED by the slick propaganda of PETA, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. The organization may claim to champion the welfare of animals, as the many photos of cute puppies and kittens on its Web site suggest. But last week, two PETA employees were charged with 31 felony counts of animal cruelty each, after authorities found them dumping the dead bodies of 18 animals they had just picked up from a North Carolina animal shelter into a Dumpster. According to the Associated Press, 13 more dead animals were found in a van registered to PETA.

Better dead than fed, PETA says - SFGate

That doesn't make any sense. I don't even know what to think.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
You are right, those chickens are bred with the intention of being slaughtered. How humane.
I'm not devaluing human life, I'm giving value to animal life. It's funny how we see this differently. You think I'm insulting humans. But what I see is that you are blinding yourself to the disgraceful treatment of non-human animals.
Between the time of being bred, and being slaughtered, for most of the time, it is humane. Yes, there are some cases in which that is not the case, but for the most part it is humane.

By equating a human to any other animal, devalues humans. By saying that killing chickens, which have been domesticated, and are raised to be slaughtered, are just like the Jews who were exterminated in the Holocaust, is devaluing human life. That is the same mentality that help fuel such an action.

I value animal life. However, I see a difference between a chicken, and a human. Simply, there is a difference.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
That is your opinion. And this attitude, I feel, ignores a lot of issues.
I think the point that PETA was making in this particular case is completely justified. They are making a point about mindset (refer to the quote I pasted in a previous post).

And this is a fact. You say you are not for inhumane treatment of animals. But the very fact that we breed them for food is inhumane in my opinion. Humans objectify animals, so we do not bother putting ourselves into their shoes- empathising.
In human history, it's been proven we hunted for animals since the beginning of man. If you object to eating meat, then that's fine, but having meat in the diet has been around for thousands of years. At this point it's about supply and demand.

In a natural setting, these animals are independent. Humans have manipulated things in such a way that these animals' lives are for the specific purpose of dying for our own pleasure (yes, pleasure. Meat is not a dietary necessity).
I could definitely argue that protein (which is essential to humans) in animal meat carries essential amino acids that are not found in some plants.

So what we essentially do is devalue these animals, treat them as something inferior, as something that does not truly matter except for our own selfish benefit. They are mass slaughtered. Millions upon millions every year. A lot of them have really messed up existences and most are killed when they are still young.

To me, that's pretty horrific. By comparing the treatment of animals to the holocaust is not insulting. It's necessary. So maybe some few people out there will start to think that what we do to animals is not right at all. In fact, it's completely sickening.
Let's look at it another way. The American bison almost went extinct. Why? Because of hunting. So let's say there are no more "farms" for raising animals. Now don't you think that people that still want to eat meat will obtain it by hunting? And if any animal isn't "replenished" it will go extinct.
Opinion won't change what we've been doing for thousands of years. Eating meat is a staple for many cultures and because the US is a large market, then mass raising of animals is the way they fill that need.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Between the time of being bred, and being slaughtered, for most of the time, it is humane. Yes, there are some cases in which that is not the case, but for the most part it is humane.

By equating a human to any other animal, devalues humans. By saying that killing chickens, which have been domesticated, and are raised to be slaughtered, are just like the Jews who were exterminated in the Holocaust, is devaluing human life. That is the same mentality that help fuel such an action.

I value animal life. However, I see a difference between a chicken, and a human. Simply, there is a difference.

I don't think that anybody is saying humans are exactly the same as chickens. Did you read the article?

""Just as the Nazis tried to 'dehumanize' Jews by forcing them to live in filthy, crowded conditions," continues the release, "animals on today's factory farms are stripped of all that is enjoyable and natural to them and treated as nothing more than meat-, egg-, and milk-making 'machines.'"

"The very same mindset that made the Holocaust possible – that we can do anything we want to those we decide are 'different' or 'inferior' – is what allows us to commit atrocities against animals every single day," said PETA youth outreach coordinator Matt Prescott.

"We are asking people to bring understanding into their hearts and onto their tables by embracing a nonviolent, vegan diet that respects other forms of life," he said.

I don't see anything offensive to humans in these quotes. First of all, they are talking about factory farms. Then they are pleading for people to empathise with animals and show them more respect.

And to repeat myself from earlier, it is only a matter of opinion that you consider such a comparison to devalue humans. From my perspective, it is about giving (increasing) the value of animal life and this is the intention of the people who make such statements.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Part of Ingrid Newkirk's philosophy is if the animal can't be free, then it's better off dead.

That is definitely far to extreme and not at all in the interest of the animal. What a weird attitude :areyoucra

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
I don't like PETA for the simple fact that they overlooked it with Michael Vick which I thought was unusual to do in a case like that.

Rakhel

PETA has been known to twist facts to suit their needs.

PETA Campaign Angers Autism Groups
The latest public anti-milk campaign by animal rights group PETA has stirred up controversy between doctors, parents and activists in the autism community.

A new PETA-sponsored "go vegan" campaign billboard in Newark, N.J., includes the phrase "Studies have shown a link between cow's milk and autism."

ht_got_autism_080930_mn.jpg

PETA Campaign Angers Autism Groups - ABC News

The billboard was misleading and PETA was, more or less, force to remove the sign because of the fact that most autistics are simply allergic to dairy products.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
Wait......what does PETA have to do with autism? Aren't they focused on animals? Why the hell are they stirring crap up on autism?

Rakhel

the milk from the cow. They were attempting to perform a scare tactic by saying milk causes autism, when this is SO not the case. It is just an allergy that some have. They are lactose intolerant. I have seen some parents remove dairy form their kids's diet, as a trial, to see what happens. The kids, in their words, calm down.