1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PETA: are you for them or against them?

Discussion in 'The Animal World' started by ninerbuff, Mar 14, 2011.

1. ninerbuff

ninerbuff godless wonder

Me, I despise them for most of their over the top antics. Throwing paint on someone's fur coat because they are against fur is hostile in my opinion. Or blowing up labs because of animal testing, where these tests are needed to ensure that safety of human uses of medicine or products for human consumption.

Thoughts?

2. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Superstylin' Staff Member Premium Member

Religion:
    None (atheist)
    Has PETA actually "blown up labs"?

My opinion of them is that any organization that would come up with ideas like this is so useless that it's irrelevant:
    Solve Your Spider Problems! | PETA.org

Although... one of the commenters on that article makes a good point:

Edit:

In the end, I think I agree with this commenter:

3. Gaura Priya

Gaura Priya IRL

I do like how the advertise women to strip themselves in public in protest to animal rights... :D

4. ninerbuff

ninerbuff godless wonder

Well let's say that there is no evidence to prove they hire anyone to do it, but money has been given by PETA to support animal rights organizations that do. ALF has received financial support from PETA and ALF has committed many arsons and bombings of animal labs.

5. Jacksnyte

Jacksnyte Reverend

I support them as far as their opposition of inhumane conditions for animals on corporate farms, and in slaughterhouses. Other than that, I think that they are too reactionary in their actions, and they don't seem to think things through well enough to be very effective at all!

6. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Ignorant Atheist Capitalist Engineer Libertarian

People Eating Tasty Animals...what's not to like?

7. Wannabe Yogi

Wannabe Yogi New Member

You are going to have to provide more facts about Peta for me to believe they support Terrorism.

Here is what I think:

-Peta goes way over the top like when they distributed "unhappy meals" to children with a bloody knife holding clown to young kids.

-Peta have thrown things like dead raccoons on people they don't like. I see this as not helpful in any way.

-Peta has also made may helpful changes in the meat industry. They have gotten McDonalds to change there practices in some very good ways. Even folks in the meat industry have said that they have made deals with pita. So they are effective.

-When you compare Peta and there sworn enemy the Meat Industry They seem much more reasonable and kind.

-I would not give Peta money because I could not support many of their actions.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  8. fallingblood

fallingblood Agnostic Theist

Pamela Anderson. So yeah, I'm against them.

9. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Misanthropic Humanist

Their tactics are generally useless, and they help to strengthen the connection between being for animal rights and being a nutjob.

10. Seyorni

Seyorni Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    You're thinking of the ALF, Ninerbuff, not PETA.

Which animal rights groups do you prefer?

11. Wannabe Yogi

Wannabe Yogi New Member

Temple Grandin who has designed more then 1/2 the cow slaughter houses in America has said she has seen more improvement in the year Peta went after McDonalds then the 30 years before. Temple Grandin is no friend of Peta she has no axe to grind for them.

12. Madhuri

Madhuri RF Goddess Staff Member Premium Member

Religion:
    Bhagavad Gita - SD
    I don't know enough about that organisation to make a judgement.

But what I will say is that when people push for change they generally get a bit radical. Revolutions or great social changes don't just happen through no action or reasonable discussions. You have to make an impact, most of the time.

If somebody believes in something strongly, I don't see a problem if they take some radical actions, as long as it isn't too extreme (to harm people, animals, the environment etc).

13. bobhikes

bobhikes Happyologist

To over the top.

14. ninerbuff

ninerbuff godless wonder

PETA gives money to ALF. If they were totally against everything ALF does, then they would not give them a dime.

You can youtube Ingrid Newkirk's interviews.

And I like my local SPCA. Information on spading and neutering as well as educating on good care of pets.

15. TJ73

TJ73 New Member

When I drove a horse and carriage in San Antonio, I was warned to be careful of PETA. They would harass drivers. If they only knew how well our animals are treated and how loved they are not to mention the very strict rules imparted on us by the city. They really had the best care you could imagine and never worked more than a few weeks without being exchanged for another horse while they went to the larger farm for relaxation and horseiness.

PETA has actually adopted animals from shelters to KILL them. They corpses were found in nearby dumpsters. they feel that no one should own a pet and death is better than being someones companion.

I am all for major changes in factory farming, it's awful. But they are the last group I would aline with for any reason.

16. ninerbuff

ninerbuff godless wonder

Problem is that they do damage property (usually in the form of throwing paint on fur that has yet to be sold). And to compare the killing of animals to the Holocaust (which they will compare pictures side to side) gives you an idea of how extreme they can be.

PETA likens chickens<br> to Holocaust victims

Pretty tasteless comparison IMO.

17. TJ73

TJ73 New Member

Not to mention(again) they don't take issue with killing animals as well.

18. Madhuri

Religion:
    Bhagavad Gita - SD
    I don't think this is tasteless. The way we treat animals is the same as we have treated fellow human beings. It's horrible. To pretend that it isn't so bad to do the same to animals is extremely ignorant.
    So I take no issue with such a comment.

From the article:
    'The very same mindset that made the Holocaust possible &#8211; that we can do anything we want to those we decide are 'different' or 'inferior' &#8211; is what allows us to commit atrocities against animals every single day," said PETA youth outreach coordinator Matt Prescott'

This is a true statement, an not at all extreme.

19. Madhuri

Religion:
    Bhagavad Gita - SD
    Do you have sources? I find this quite shocking. It seems completely contradictory to their mission.

20. Wannabe Yogi

Wannabe Yogi New Member

This is just completely false. Peta offices is full of companion animals. People bring there pets to work. They are all for it.

They only believe in killing animals instead of them living a life of suffering.

Again I do not support Peta.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted