• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PETA: are you for them or against them?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Wait......what does PETA have to do with autism? Aren't they focused on animals? Why the hell are they stirring crap up on autism?

No no, they are pro-vegan. This wasn't about autism, it was against the consumption of dairy products.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
And blames vaccines for causing her son's autism.

This is the problem I have with parents who have kids with neurological or genetic disorders. When they use google scholar and look up possible research that may contradict certain findings they have this "a ha!" Moment and think because certain articles may contradict what their physician say. Ms.McCarthy is making parents have vaccine phobia because of that and there isn't no sufficient proof either. I remember doing an evaluation on a child with down syndrome. The mother believed that her child's down syndrome was caused by her getting vaccinated as a child.....when I told her it wasn't the case she quoted an old research done by some british neurologist but of course the person didn't exist.

Rakhel

This is the problem I have with parents who have kids with neurological or genetic disorders. When they use google scholar and look up possible research that may contradict certain findings they have this "a ha!" Moment and think because certain articles may contradict what their physician say. Ms.McCarthy is making parents have vaccine phobia because of that and there isn't no sufficient proof either. I remember doing an evaluation on a child with down syndrome. The mother believed that her child's down syndrome was caused by her getting vaccinated as a child.....when I told her it wasn't the case she quoted an old research done by some british neurologist but of course the person didn't exist.

Trust me, she didn't start it. that fear has been floating around for decades. You would not believe( maybe you would) some of the extremes parents will go to just to "cure" their child.

I used to belong to a group for parents with autism. I got disgusted with it after a while because of the pushed agenda one particular mother had. "Heavy medals were the cause of autism and it must be eradicated from all drugs and foods."

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
Trust me, she didn't start it. that fear has been floating around for decades. You would not believe( maybe you would) some of the extremes parents will go to just to "cure" their child.

I used to belong to a group for parents with autism. I got disgusted with it after a while because of the pushed agenda one particular mother had. "Heavy medals were the cause of autism and it must be eradicated from all drugs and foods."

Interesting. I didn't realize the lengths but then again I may have. Perhaps parents desire a cause to a problem because the unknown is too much. Would you agree? What is your take on it?

fenrisx

Me, I despise them for most of their over the top antics. Throwing paint on someone's fur coat because they are against fur is hostile in my opinion. Or blowing up labs because of animal testing, where these tests are needed to ensure that safety of human uses of medicine or products for human consumption.

Thoughts?

PETA is one of those groups that are good in theory. In theory they love animals and want to save them. In truth they are run by people with a very dubious sense of reality, and their answers make them look like fools. On a more sinister note they seem at times too close to groups like the ELF or ALF the former of whom are little better than organized arsonists.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Me, I despise them for most of their over the top antics. Throwing paint on someone's fur coat because they are against fur is hostile in my opinion. Or blowing up labs because of animal testing, where these tests are needed to ensure that safety of human uses of medicine or products for human consumption.

Thoughts?

I agree.

I find it funny that most people don't consider humans an "animal", though we are catagorized under the "Great Apes".

I also find it funny that people find it exceedingly "okay" to oppress man's advancement by giving more rights to the less than able creatures.

I was always one for, "I am entitled to my own "rights"", it just so happens that my rights would be other People's (rights) to Eating Tasty Animals.

Wannabe Yogi

This is the only source I will deal with because the others seem biast.

Yes, Peta believes in euthanasia but it is for the following reason.

This is from your source Newsweek.

In defense of its policy PETA has insisted that euthanasia is a necessary evil in a world full of unwanted pets.

They are more bent on being heard than being good. They have the least understanding I have ever encountered about companion animals like horses, dogs and cats. Animals that I have spent my entire adult life studying and caring for. They want me to set my poodles, pitbulls and cats free into the "wild" or have them killed rather than spend their lives with me.

Peta is not against people and animals being companions they are against humans genetical modifying them. They are also against the idea of ownership of animals.
I do not support Peta I find some of there behavior repulsive. But I do not believe that that we should miss represent there arguments. Remember they are David vs Goliath (meat industry). Millions are spent to give a false idea what Peta is all about.

Still much of what Peta has done in private negotiations behind doors with the meat industry has been helpful in the treatment of animals. This is a fact.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Like I mentioned in another thread, there are MANY, MANY people who own animals that will spend a lot of time, money and care on the animal or pet itself than they will on themselves.
There are lots more animals that get better care in terms of food, health and shelter than human beings.
IMO, animals aren't as unpredictable when it comes to relationship, so I think many would rather have an animal as a companion than a pet because they don't feel like they are being ignored or unloved. A pet will always show love for a compassionate owner. Of course unless it's a fish or something.:D

Wannabe Yogi

On a more sinister note they seem at times too close to groups like the ELF or ALF the former of whom are little better than organized arsonists.

It should also be remembered that the factory farming of the meat Industry is one of the great evils of the world. They are the biggest cause of Global warming and are one of the greatest exploiters of workers all over the world. The ALF are very minor players when you compare them to the human suffering the meat Industry causes.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
It should also be remembered that the factory farming of the meat Industry is one of the great evils of the world. They are the biggest cause of Global warming and are one of the greatest exploiters of workers all over the world. The ALF are very minor players when you compare them to the human suffering the meat Industry causes.
Well no they aren't the BIGGEST cause of Global warming. The planet does that on it's own. If a volcano erupts, which does happen, the amount of CO2 and other greenhouse gases is millions of tonnes compared to what human CO2 emits in years.

Wannabe Yogi

I'm not for animal cruelty or being inhumane to them, but I certainly don't put any animal up to the level of a human.
And animals raised for consumption. Humans aren't so again the comparison IMO was tasteless.
There is an appetite for chickens, cows, etc.

The modern industrialized farming is one of the great evils of the world today.
It is causing climate change (More then cars) And the starvation of the world poor. The fishing industry is killing all the large fish in the sea. In 50 years there will be no fishing because there will be no large fish according to many scientists. When you compare the problems that are cause by PETA and ALF to the real issues of our planet. I would be a little less concerned about Peta.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Well no they aren't the BIGGEST cause of Global warming. The planet does that on it's own. If a volcano erupts, which does happen, the amount of CO2 and other greenhouse gases is millions of tonnes compared to what human CO2 emits in years.

Don't forget them darned termites. :D