• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PETA: are you for them or against them?

ninerbuff

godless wonder
You could say destruction of private property is considered terrorism by law, and by our private property obsessed, paranoid ruling class, but it doesn't satisfy the conscience to define it that way. Who is "terrorized" by a bit of vandalism?
Vandalism is not the same as arson. But here Coronado is using arson to show that ALF will go to great lengths of destruction until policy is changed on animal testing. It's an act of violence because of the threat it portrays.

Keep in mind, you can be classified as a terrorist under the patriot act for any speech or action the president deems contrary to his notion of the national interest. Governments are always chomping at the bit to define dissidents as terrorists. Normal people should not take the bait.
You can dislike policy, but it's the "threat" to create chaos, harm, violence etc. that would push it over the edge.
Why do you think people who jokingly say things about having arms in luggage (when it's not true) are SERIOUSLY taken aside and interrogated? It's not because there actually is arms in there, but just the threat of it.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You were referring to our morals between human and animal. I referred back that the poor and homeless are treated in some ways worse than animals on a factory farm. While the poor and homeless aren't slaughtered for food, they are forgotten when it comes to health care, food, and even shelter.
Sorry, niner, what confused me was "Well, if that were entirely true..." ?? -- If what were entirely true? Is this a tu quoque?

Won't know that. What if there is a volcanic eruption like Krakatoa? That would totally change the computer models. Or a solar flare event? Like I said, there are invariables that aren't considered in computer models that can change the outcome.
Won't know what? That weather computer models will be revised? Computers keep getting more powerful and scientists keep discovering new data and variables to feed into their predictive algorithms. The models change weekly!

Krakatoa did cause widespread destruction and it changed Earth's weather for a few years, but it was, essentially, a local, episodic event. It changed weather, not climate. These little catastrophes happen all the time, geologically speaking.

Destruction of property by fire (arson) is a felony and if done maliciously by a "rights or extreme group" is viewed as an act of terrorism.
If someone robbed someone without harming them, it's still robbery.
Yes, it's robbery -- but it's not terrorism, and sure it's a felony -- and the American revolution was treason and Jesus committed sedition. What's your point?
The term "terrorism" has been hijacked by the Right Wing ever since 9/11. It's become a buzzword for the boogeyman du jour. They expanded its meaning to include everything scary or disorderly, even political dissent.
Don't buy into it. Vandalism is not "terrorism."

Last edited by a moderator:

fenrisx

Yes, it's robbery -- but it's not terrorism, and sure it's a felony -- and the American revolution was treason and Jesus committed sedition. What's your point?
The term "terrorism" has been hijacked by the Right Wing ever since 9/11. It's become a buzzword for the boogeyman du jour. They expanded its meaning to include everything scary or disorderly, even political dissent.
Don't buy into it. Vandalism is not "terrorism."

If you are refering to the many arsons of the ELF are you bloody serious?! It's use of destructive force to force your views on others, that is textbook terrorism, and it is only a matter of time before they cause some casualties. I hope for the sake of your moral compass that I am misunderstanding you.

Alceste

Vagabond
If you are refering to the many arsons of the ELF are you bloody serious?! It's use of destructive force to force your views on others, that is textbook terrorism, and it is only a matter of time before they cause some casualties. I hope for the sake of your moral compass that I am misunderstanding you.

I don't know what textbook you're using, but in mine arson is just arson. Only things that provoke feelings of terror can be accurately described as terrorism.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The aim is to attack the economic viability of building on ecologically sensitive land.

Terrorism requires terror. ELF may annoy and anger, but it doesn't terrorize. No-one fears any physical threat from elves.
Vandalism, sabotage, arson -- yes. Terror -- no.

Tito

I think Peta has good intentions and means well but they use some dirty tactics. But if they didnt would anybody even listen to it?