• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Personality

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Really? How long before? Just before? Years before? What about almost a whole lifetime before? Would the resulting "personality" thus be totally infantile?
I think it would be like the personality they had as an adult (what they had 'become' as a person) right before they started to come down with Alzheimer's disease.

...For example, head injuries are known to cause changes in one's personality. ...

How can we know the personality has really changed? What if the damage just reveals the true personality, or prevents the true personality to manifest correctly? Do you have some example?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
How can we know the personality has really changed? What if the damage just reveals the true personality, or prevents the true personality to manifest correctly? Do you have some example?
It's been widely recognised that frontal lobe injury can result in lack of empathy and essentially a form of psychopathy. I'm not sure what else that could be called.

It's been widely recognised that frontal lobe injury can result in lack of empathy and essentially a form of psychopathy. I'm not sure what else that could be called.

Is it not possible that it just reveals the true personality? If it just prevents person to pretend?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think much of personality is determined by environment. For example, coming from a family of practical jokers, it's hard to escape that. "You can take the boy from the country, but you can't take the country from the boy."

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The most well-known example was, and caused by an injury, when a man had a rod fired through his head in an accident whilst he was working with explosives. He lived to the surprise of all, but his personality changed markedly (seemingly disputed a bit), and fortunately he had quite a memorable name: :oops:

Phineas Gage - Wikipedia

After Brain Injury: The Dark Side of Personality Change, Part I | Psychology Today

Moonjuice

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey
What data proves 100% that "there is no personality left"? Can you please provide the data?
Sure, in fact, you can see the data yourself. Simply go by every single cemetery on planet earth. See all the dead bodies buried in the ground and notice how their brains no longer function. 100% of the data shows the same thing, no aspects of the functioning brain has ever survived.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Is personality a result of one's brain function? For example, head injuries are known to cause changes in one's personality. For religious people who may see the soul or spirit as having something to do with one's fundamental self, what do you think?
In my view, personality is the end result of one's soul operating through a physical brain. Each person's personality is unique because their soul and physical brain conditions are different.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Sure, in fact, you can see the data yourself. Simply go by every single cemetery on planet earth. See all the dead bodies buried in the ground and notice how their brains no longer function. 100% of the data shows the same thing, no aspects of the functioning brain has ever survived.
No, the brain does not survive but some of us believe that the soul leaves the body when we die and goes to a spiritual world where it takes on a new form, a spiritual body. We believe that the soul is what is responsible for consciousness after death of the body and brain.

firedragon

Veteran Member

Nah. Thats not data. I think you should study a little.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is personality a result of one's brain function? For example, head injuries are known to cause changes in one's personality. For religious people who may see the soul or spirit as having something to do with one's fundamental self, what do you think?
I think it has to all brain function.

If there be such a thing as a soul, it's said to be immaterial. Therefore it has no known way of perceiving, of interacting with material things, or of experiencing emotions (which are biochemical).

At the very least, these qualities would call into question its relevance to anything real.

The Crimson Universe

Hello Rival,

As Conscious thoughts and Salix said above, our personality is part of the soul, and not part of the brain.

Let me explain this in my own words. (It is based on my own observations and also on what the Hindus believe).

The Universal Consciousness or Brahman (which we really are) resides in three houses - the physical body, the subtle body and the causal body.

We're all aware of our physical bodies.

The subtle body, on the other hand, contains memories, desires, dispositions, personalities, intelligence, ego etc.
In short, the subtle body, is a kind of subtle mind. It exists and functions, even after the death of the physical body.

Then comes the causal body. It contains all the karmic records as Salix said above. After the death of the physical vessel, the subtle and causal bodies (together known as the Jiva/soul) continues to exist and function, which then transmigrates and finds a fresh physical body.

============

Now, coming back to your question,
Is personality a result of one's brain function?

Well, not really.
IMO, personality is the result of the info we gather from the outside world. And it is not the brain which recieves these infos. The brain simply processes the infos and commands the body how to act. Then who gathers the infos? ... The sense organs.

It is true that an injury to the brain (from a car crash or drug abuse) results in physical and mental illnesses, including changes in mood, personality and behaviour. But such a thing happens only because the three bodies are kind of connected to each other (as long as we are in a human or animal form).
If there occurs a change in any one of these bodies, the effect will be felt by the other two bodies as well.

For example, if you recieve a blow on your physical body (head/brain) then your behaviour or personality (which is part of the subtle body) will surely change.

Similarly, when we recieve information from the outside world, they are stored right away in the warehouse of our subtle body.
Certain change in the
amount & type of information in our subtle body's warehouse, results in new behaviours and actions, which are then felt by both the subtle and physical bodies.

Same thing goes for causal body as well.
When new (good & bad) karmas are stored in the warehouse of our causal bodies, the changes in the
amount & type of karmas, in the causal body, decides the reward or punishment that the subtle and physical bodies will recieve in the future.

=============

Your second question was -
We can observe babies' different personalities, though, pretty much from birth. What would you say shapes these if habit hasn't had time to form?

Again as per Hinduism, a baby's personality (from its birth) are shaped by its previous lives' accumulated information, knowledge, dispositions, memories, desires etc. (that are being stored in the warehouse of subtle body) and by its previous lives' accumulated karma (which are stored in the warehouse of causal body)
... These stored data from previous lives actually shapes our personalities according to Hinduism.
That's why sometimes you'll get to hear in the news that a 4 year old is playing piano like a pro adult :)

Moonjuice

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey
Nah. Thats not data. I think you should study a little.
Ha ha! Nice. Where should I go to study the data generated from examining all the surviving aspects of previously decomposed human brains? Evidently, you have studied it?

Where is all your evidence and proof for the idea that a personality survives the bran after the brain dies???

firedragon

Veteran Member
Ha ha! Nice. Where should I go to study the data generated from examining all the surviving aspects of previously decomposed human brains? Evidently, you have studied it?

Where is all your evidence and proof for the idea that a personality survives the bran after the brain dies???

Lol. I have no evidence for anything. I am only asking you for your claims. Which of course you have proven you dont. So that's that.

When I said study, I meant study, in order to understand what data means. Try and understand how data is generated based on the study you intend to do first.

Cheers.

The most well-known example was, and caused by an injury, when a man had a rod fired through his head in an accident whilst he was working with explosives. He lived to the surprise of all, but his personality changed markedly (seemingly disputed a bit), and fortunately he had quite a memorable name: :oops:

Phineas Gage - Wikipedia

Maybe it was the name that caused it. :D

But, seriously speaking, I don't think that gives much information about the change of personality. It is more about other problems that the injury caused otherwise.

I have a theory that brain is basically system that connects soul/mind/personality and body. If the brain is damaged, it can affect to the connection, which can come visible in weird actions, but does not necessary mean that the personality itself has changed.