• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Personality

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Maybe it was the name that caused it. :D

But, seriously speaking, I don't think that gives much information about the change of personality. It is more about other problems that the injury caused otherwise.

I have a theory that brain is basically system that connects soul/mind/personality and body. If the brain is damaged, it can affect to the connection, which can come visible in weird actions, but does not necessary mean that the personality itself has changed.
The second link suggested there were examples of such problems related to brain injury, as do these, such that it is highly likely:

Coping with personality changes in acquired brain injury -- ScienceDaily
PERSONALITY CHANGES IN BRAIN INJURY (nih.gov)

The second link suggested there were examples of such problems related to brain injury, as do these, such that it is highly likely:

Coping with personality changes in acquired brain injury -- ScienceDaily

Hmmm... that is interesting, it says:

"...the associated personality changes. The behavior of individuals with acquired brain injury (ABI) is typically associated with problems such as aggression, agitation, non-compliance, and depression..."

Apparently I think personality in a different way. I think for example depression is more like a mood. Any person, even without brain damage, can become depressed. I don't think it necessarily means personality has changed, it can be just that the situation has changed so that different side of person is revealed. It is possible that person has always had that side, but it has not just come visible to others.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Hmmm... that is interesting, it says:

"...the associated personality changes. The behavior of individuals with acquired brain injury (ABI) is typically associated with problems such as aggression, agitation, non-compliance, and depression..."

Apparently I think personality in a different way. I think for example depression is more like a mood. Any person, even without brain damage, can become depressed. I don't think it necessarily means personality has changed, it can be just that the situation has changed so that different side of person is revealed. It is possible that person has always had that side, but it has not just come visible to others.
Well depression is usually defined as a mental issue when it is sufficiently prolonged and so as to affect the life of someone in a negative manner rather than the depression that commonly occurs in most of us - and speaking as someone who has suffered from this.

Clinical depression - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

And a bit of searching will find more examples of changes in the brain affecting personality and/or behaviour.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Is personality a result of one's brain function? For example, head injuries are known to cause changes in one's personality. For religious people who may see the soul or spirit as having something to do with one's fundamental self, what do you think?
I don't think we really know. There is no science of consciousness yet.

As for personality, the only science based understanding we have is that there are the BIG FIVE traits that people tend to be rather stable about. They are: openness, conscientousness, extraversion ( a low score on this trait is called introversion), agreeableness, and neuroticism. How high you score on those 5 traits basically makes up your personality. I say "tend" to be rather stable because they aren't etched in stone. It is not likely that a score will change over the course of days, weeks, or months. But a person can test years later and score somewhat differently.