• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palestianian atheist arrested

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I don't know what to say, I guess whatever I say would be called a lie too? I guess I'm only outraged about this whole thing because I'm an atheist and so is Waleed -- because atheists only look out for self-interest, right? Let's just forget that I was also outraged about the Muslims held without trial by the US -- that was probably a disingenuous assertion too to make my position look better. Of course I wouldn't protect the rights of anti-gays who wanted to make a blog expressing their opinion, because the best thing for me to do as an atheist is to create a Stalinistic police state and ban everything that isn't like me, right? /sarcasm

:shrug:

It's difficult to be called the rude one, to be called the mean and insincere one, when that's far from the case and I can't even defend myself.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
In a related story, Singapore today sentenced an English author to jail under its "defamation" laws, which it has used to silence critics of its government. The author criticized the judiciary in a recent book. Singapore is a very diverse country, and its largest religion is Buddhist.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
It's about as legitimate as anti-gay hate speech.

Would you defend someone who posted anti-gay hate speech on a blog? I assume not, since this would be something close to you.

This guys is an atheist and you're defending him because of that.

It's obvious.

Meow Mix already responded for her part. I just wanted to add that in general those of us who support free speech and the LGBT community and are atheists/agnostics would also defend someone who posted anti-gay hate speech on a blog, insofar as they shouldn't be arrested because of it. Obviously, we would take issue with their actual points, but we'd support their right to say it without legal ramifications.

In other words, you assume wrong.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
That is completely disenguous.

Right. You get the answer you want, and it confirms your assumptions. You don't get the answer you want, you reject it because it doesn't confirm your assumptions. :rolleyes:

For the sake of my mental health, I have to stop with you now.

From what I've seen it's a little too late to start worrying about your mental health now.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
In a related story, Singapore today sentenced an English author to jail under its "defamation" laws, which it has used to silence critics of its government. The author criticized the judiciary in a recent book. Singapore is a very diverse country, and its largest religion is Buddhist.

:facepalm: Ugh, ridiculous. I was also reading about censorship in Turkey where people had to get their books approved by a local magistrate before it could be published, though supposedly that practice ended they still supposedly censor political dissidents. What is WRONG with this world?

Is freedom really that crazy of an idea?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Meow Mix already responded for her part. I just wanted to add that in general those of us who support free speech and the LGBT community and are atheists/agnostics would also defend someone who posted anti-gay hate speech on a blog, insofar as they shouldn't be arrested because of it. Obviously, we would take issue with their actual points, but we'd support their right to say it without legal ramifications.

In other words, you assume wrong.

Apparently, we're being disingenuous when we claim we'd support the rights of someone we disagree with.

Edit: Is it really difficult for some people to believe that atheists can believe in freedom and greater ideals? Maybe we shouldn't blame him, maybe he's known some really crappy atheists before.

Last edited:

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
In the scope of world history, I think it's a pretty radical and recent idea.

I guess so. It's hard to imagine why it would be so difficult a concept but I have the luxury of living in a free system. Though it's very worrisome that there are some hiccups like jailing Muslims for looking like Muslims... though that I blame on the scumbags we had in office last time and their supporters, honestly.

Looncall

i agree here. i don't understand why it has to be one or the other. i still think faith should be strong enough to withstand criticism; instead of arresting him, let's prove him wrong.

Are you sure that can be done? I wonder if the extreme reactions to criticism of islam stems from a suspicion on the part of the reacters that islam cannot be supported by reason.

Why else would all these people be so upset to find that someone disagrees with them?

Midnight Pete

Tell people who are offended by blasphemers to grow a backbone.

Maybe we should tell the people offended by other kinds of hate --like homophobia-- to do the same. Grow a backbone, LGBT!

/sarcasm

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Maybe we should tell the people offended by other kinds of hate --like homophobia-- to do the same. Grow a backbone, LGBT!

/sarcasm

Gay people should have the backbone to withstand criticism and present their own arguments against it, not to ask that it be outlawed, IMO.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

/sarcasm

"Blaspheming" isn't necessarily hate if it's an argument though. You seem to be under the impression that if someone firmly believes something, no matter how wrong, no one should say anything otherwise for fear of "upsetting" them. I'm not sure where you get that idea but I find it silly.

You rejected my MLK scenario off-hand, so I won't bother explaining to you why (I already have, and you'd probably just reject it off-hand again). If you don't want to discuss then don't discuss, it's frustrating to have someone pop in, fire off disagreements, then say "Nyah nyah can't touch me" and then leave.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Gay people should have the backbone to withstand criticism and present their own arguments against it, not to ask that it be outlawed, IMO.

That's exactly right. People have the right to dislike homosexuality, I'd never advocate otherwise. I'd wish they would be more tolerant, but it is their RIGHT to dislike it if they want.

kai

ragamuffin
You Know when alls said and done, freedom is a new thing isn't it? and some of us are lucky to live in countries that have fought for it an embraced it.

In my country it took hundreds of years and much bloodshed to get to where we are today .

Some countries have a longer way to go than others it doesn't just happen overnight.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
And why should they be a protected class?

Who?

Auto was saying that LGBT people should have the backbone to respond to anti-gay sentiments by just proving them wrong or ignoring them, not by seeking to make being anti-gay illegal.

It is someone's right to be anti-gay if they wish as long as they aren't harming or directly inciting violence.

I'm a lesbian and I have a few friends that are staunchly anti-gay because they can draw a distinction between behavior and a person. They might tease me in a harsher way than other friends might when it comes to that, but they're still human beings with opinions that I disagree with -- but would fight for their ability to express them.

Sahar

You Know when alls said and done, freedom is a new thing isn't it? and some of us are lucky to live in countries that have fought for it an embraced it.

In my country it took hundreds of years and much bloodshed to get to where we are today .

Some countries have a longer way to go than others it doesn't just happen overnight.
If Muslims are going to strive for anything, then it's not going to be for your values but God willing for Islam and establishment of Islamic Shari'a. There is hope, isA.

Midnight Pete

Who?

Auto was saying that LGBT people should have the backbone to respond to anti-gay sentiments by just proving them wrong or ignoring them, not by seeking to make being anti-gay illegal.

It is someone's right to be anti-gay if they wish as long as they aren't harming or directly inciting violence.

I'm a lesbian and I have a few friends that are staunchly anti-gay because they can draw a distinction between behavior and a person. They might tease me in a harsher way than other friends might when it comes to that, but they're still human beings with opinions that I disagree with -- but would fight for their ability to express them.

Wow. I don't think I could compartmentalize my thoughts & emotions like that. But my male brain is less sophisticated than yours. :D