• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palestianian atheist arrested

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Canada's a net exporter of oil, but I get your point.

Unfortunately, when deciding how best to address this problem, it often creates dilemmas such as how the natural environment should be valued against national security.

Give me grants to invent my geocidal death ra-- I mean, alternative energy sources. :yes:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Give me grants to invent my geocidal death ra-- I mean, alternative energy sources. :yes:
The elderly are a clean-burning alternative to coal and oil! :D

I can just picture Charlton Heston running through the streets shouting "your gasoline is made out of people!"

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
The elderly are a clean-burning alternative to coal and oil! :D

I can just picture Charlton Heston running through the streets shouting "your gasoline is made out of people!"

What if people were allowed to be "body donors" that would be converted to fuel or energy? It sounds gruesome only because of our cultural hangups over corpses. Honestly when I'm dead, USE the energy in my body for the world's benefit. Anyone who loves me wouldn't whine about not having my ashes because they'd know how happy it would make me to contribute one last time to humanity.

Hell, it'd give me a chance to really pig out in the nursing home (if I make it that far) and stop worrying about my girlish figure ;P

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
What if people were allowed to be "body donors" that would be converted to fuel or energy? It sounds gruesome only because of our cultural hangups over corpses. Honestly when I'm dead, USE the energy in my body for the world's benefit. Anyone who loves me wouldn't whine about not having my ashes because they'd know how happy it would make me to contribute one last time to humanity.

Hell, it'd give me a chance to really pig out in the nursing home (if I make it that far) and stop worrying about my girlish figure ;P

Soylent Green II

croak

Trickster
A good question to me is why are there so many thugs in some areas?

I can turn down a bad neighborhood if I'm not smart when going through Kansas City, but that's totally different from turning into a bad entire COUNTRY. (I realize not everyone in a country is a thug, but I'm implying that it likely isn't safe practically anywhere in some countries)
Most people aren't thugs; they're bystanders. People just want to live their lives for the most part, and won't go out of their way to do anything else. Maybe some people in Country X hate all Christians. If you're a Christian and they find out, they'll beat you up. There are plenty of other people that could help, perhaps, but they don't want to invoke the wrath of the aforementioned people. What if the Christian-haters occupy key government positions? If you're a citizen want your kid to be able to succeed in life, you have to play by the rules or emigrate. If you have money, well, that would help.

Not to mention it's very easy to believe things you have no first-hand experience of. Jews rule the world? Well, I've never met a Jew, but from what I hear, they're like this-and-this, and it makes sense because I'm so darn poor — they must be out to get me.

Also, some countries' populations are smaller than, say, New York. And then there are different cultures, urban vs. rural areas, education, class, age, security.... It all gets complicated fast.

Anyone can become a thug, in any country. It can be about anything. I realize my thoughts are all over the place, but hopefully I got my point across.

croak

Trickster
O.K. so to summarize, True Islam has been hijacked by a bunch of murderous thugs who are wreaking havoc on their fellow Muslims and the rest of the world in the name of Islam, the western world now views Islam as a religion of terrorism, and there is nothing whatsoever that Real Muslims can do about this? Is that where we're at?
Has the West ever viewed Islam in a favourable light?

I never said there was nothing Muslims could do. I don't suggest confronting a man armed with an AK-47 with no qualms about killing whoever appears to side with 'kafirs'. You build up your community. You educate the children. You talk to those on the fence, before they take the step of no-return. If you're brave enough, maybe you create an organization which publicly states what you think (depends on where you live in the world).

Once someone has reached the terrorist stage, little anyone says will make a difference. It's up to the individual to see the light (or for them to be killed or arrestd).

9-10ths_Penguin put it rather succintly.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Most people aren't thugs; they're bystanders. People just want to live their lives for the most part, and won't go out of their way to do anything else. Maybe some people in Country X hate all Christians. If you're a Christian and they find out, they'll beat you up. There are plenty of other people that could help, perhaps, but they don't want to invoke the wrath of the aforementioned people. What if the Christian-haters occupy key government positions? If you're a citizen want your kid to be able to succeed in life, you have to play by the rules or emigrate. If you have money, well, that would help.

Not to mention it's very easy to believe things you have no first-hand experience of. Jews rule the world? Well, I've never met a Jew, but from what I hear, they're like this-and-this, and it makes sense because I'm so darn poor — they must be out to get me.

Also, some countries' populations are smaller than, say, New York. And then there are different cultures, urban vs. rural areas, education, class, age, security.... It all gets complicated fast.

Anyone can become a thug, in any country. It can be about anything. I realize my thoughts are all over the place, but hopefully I got my point across.

I understand what you're saying, but I can go to the corner of my street or almost any street in America and hold up a sign that says "Jesus is a goober" and the worst that would happen to me is some drive-by arguments, some cold stares, some kids who would probably think it's funny because it's "rebellious," and it would otherwise be pretty boring.

Hold up a sign that says "X is a goober" in various other places in the world and you could be murdered.

If I were murdered or even attacked for it here it would be big news.

If I were murdered or attacked in some places it would be so ordinary that most people would say "well duh, she was an idiot for doing it there."

That's what I'm talking about: some places are rife with thugs to the point that it's unsurprising when someone is attacked for petty things. Why?

croak

Trickster
I understand what you're saying, but I can go to the corner of my street or almost any street in America and hold up a sign that says "Jesus is a goober" and the worst that would happen to me is some drive-by arguments, some cold stares, some kids who would probably think it's funny because it's "rebellious," and it would otherwise be pretty boring.

Hold up a sign that says "X is a goober" in various other places in the world and you could be murdered.

If I were murdered or even attacked for it here it would be big news.

If I were murdered or attacked in some places it would be so ordinary that most people would say "well duh, she was an idiot for doing it there."

That's what I'm talking about: some places are rife with thugs to the point that it's unsurprising when someone is attacked for petty things. Why?
I'm sure that in plenty of places in America, if you walked up to someone and said, "Your mama's a [choice of insult here]", you would be attacked or even murdered. I doubt people would be surprised. "I mean, you insulted his mother? Jeez, what's wrong with you?"

Different cultures find different things offensive. Also, some may take it as an excuse to vent out all their frustration on you, as a convenient scapegoat.

Wow, my thoughts are really all over the place today.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
At my iaido practice last night, my sensei told me one of the reasons why our koryu (traditional school - in my case, Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu) has its members wear their swords the way they do.

By keeping the sword parallel to the body instead of having the scabbard stick out to the side a bit, it reduced your chances of accidentally tapping someone with your scabbard as you pass them, which could often be seen as an agressive action that warranted a response of deadly force.

There are many cultures where someone can be attacked for petty things.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
At my iaido practice last night, my sensei told me one of the reasons why our koryu (traditional school - in my case, Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu) has its members wear their swords the way they do.

By keeping the sword parallel to the body instead of having the scabbard stick out to the side a bit, it reduced your chances of accidentally tapping someone with your scabbard as you pass them, which could often be seen as an agressive action that warranted a response of deadly force.

There are many cultures where someone can be attacked for petty things.

I'm offended. I'll see you on the playground when school gets out. *cracks knuckles*

nameless

The Creator
i think the same. i don't think it earns death penalthy but it is not their right to poison media which even children could reach out and read their hatred. thanks to God we don't make jokes about or insult what we hold as divine and certainly it is not at all becoming better people if we did. for that matter Western has nothing to teach us. IMO they've lost respect for divine because of this lie of 'freedom'. they don't like Muslims want to protect divine, so be it. i could not care less. it is all fine; to believe what you feel like to believe, share my food, be my friend...etc but you can't slander my Prophet and insult my path and culture in my home

a perfect example for double standards .....
prophet muhammad in a pagan community has right to publicly oppose polytheistic paganism, but an atheist in a muslim nation has no right to oppose islam.
or it was another special privilege for muhammad?

Last edited:

Maimonides

The mad Neuroscientist
a perfect example for double standards .....
prophet muhammad in a pagan community has right to publicly oppose polytheistic paganism, but an atheist in a muslim nation has no right to oppose islam.
or it was another special privilege for muhammad?

Well he was a prophet (allegedly-no offense to the Muslims).... However good point.

I believe there is some cultural (and by culture I mean the community) responsibility on part of the Muslims that allow such as respect for persons with various views to be targeted in such hateful ways.