• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palestianian atheist arrested

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I'm glad we agree.
A question, if I may, out of curiosity and not meant as criticism;
How come we hardly ever hear Muslims condemn the actions of Al-Quida and the Taliban?
Is it merely a case of being drowned out, or are Muslims reluctant to do so?

On one hand though I don't expect Christians to step up and have to condemn the Oklahoma City bombing or abortion clinic bombinbs any louder than everyone else, as Christians aren't culpable for the action of a few murderous Christians.

On the other hand though I did at least hear some statements from Christians condemning those things anyway. Come to think of it though I did hear at least some Muslim groups condemning 9/11.

Edit: One can turn it around and ask Americans if they should stand up and condemn the invasion of a country that they have no business invading and killing civilians for the actions of a few Americans (their government). For the record, I'm American and I condemn it :p

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Edit: One can turn it around and ask Americans if they should stand up and condemn the invasion of a country that they have no business invading and killing civilians for the actions of a few Americans (their government). For the record, I'm American and I condemn it :p

Yes we most certainly should! That action was taken in our name, using our money and in many cases our lives. It is incumbent on us to do everything we can to have prevented and now condemn the invasion of Iraq, in a way even more than Muslims and Muslim atrocities. In a sense, you and I invaded Iraq.

On the other hand, and in a strictly practical way, there are millions of Muslims who believe that Islam means violent jihad against infidels, an effort to conquer the world and establish a caliphate, and so forth. If Muslims disagree with them, they are the only people in a position to effectively argue against that position, so it would helpful to them and their religion if they would do that. The problem is that if they do it publicly, they risk violence or even murder by the jihadists.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Yes we most certainly should! That action was taken in our name, using our money and in many cases our lives. It is incumbent on us to do everything we can to have prevented and now condemn the invasion of Iraq, in a way even more than Muslims and Muslim atrocities. In a sense, you and I invaded Iraq.

On the other hand, and in a strictly practical way, there are millions of Muslims who believe that Islam means violent jihad against infidels, an effort to conquer the world and establish a caliphate, and so forth. If Muslims disagree with them, they are the only people in a position to effectively argue against that position, so it would helpful to them and their religion if they would do that. The problem is that if they do it publicly, they risk violence or even murder by the jihadists.

"If we don't hang together, assuredly we will all hang separately!" Thomas Jefferson

I recall a certain group of individuals that Americans think were mostly pretty cool who had to condemn stuff that they might be killed over... hmmm... :sarcastic

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
On one hand though I don't expect Christians to step up and have to condemn the Oklahoma City bombing or abortion clinic bombinbs any louder than everyone else, as Christians aren't culpable for the action of a few murderous Christians.

On the other hand though I did at least hear some statements from Christians condemning those things anyway. Come to think of it though I did hear at least some Muslim groups condemning 9/11.

No, but I do expect when I ask Christians what they think about these types of actions that they express disgust with these individuals.

Exactly. :)

Maimonides

The mad Neuroscientist
Palestinians like many Muslim countries, are not correctly following Islamic law....Besides every country has their own religious interpretation

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm glad we agree.
A question, if I may, out of curiosity and not meant as criticism;
How come we hardly ever hear Muslims condemn the actions of Al-Quida and the Taliban?
Is it merely a case of being drowned out, or are Muslims reluctant to do so?

Well, like mball said there are condemnations. The reasons for why you don't hear about them would have to do with the media i guess. Somethings are just more attractive than others, and this is just a part of how muslims are usually negatively portrayed.

Of course, it goes without saying that not all muslims might really feel responsible for what the Taliban does, and they wouldn't feel the need to denounce or condemn their acts. However like i said there are condemnations, but they don't get enough publicity.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Well, like mball said there are condemnations. The reasons for why you don't hear about them would have to do with the media i guess. Somethings are just more attractive than others, and this is just a part of how muslims are usually negatively portrayed.

Of course, it goes without saying that not all muslims might really feel responsible for what the Taliban does, and they wouldn't feel the need to denounce or condemn their acts. However like i said there are condemnations, but they don't get enough publicity.
It would be nice if they felt the need to try to persuade them that they're wrong.

kai

ragamuffin
To Muslims Alqueda and the Taliban are still Muslims they are brothers and sisters of the Ummah. They may not agree with thier tactics and actions but they will not condemn them as Muslims, or make judgements on whether they are Muslims or not that's not there job to do so ,it is Allahs decision.

I don't believe Muslims like the idea of condemning or criticizing other Muslims to Khafirs.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It would be nice if they felt the need to try to persuade them that they're wrong.

how do you propose we do that? it's very hard to convince extremists that they're wrong about anything; they're not usually receptive to criticism.

To Muslims Alqueda and the Taliban are still Muslims they are brothers and sisters of the Ummah. They may not agree with thier tactics and actions but they will not condemn them as Muslims, or make judgements on whether they are Muslims or not that's not there job to do so ,it is Allahs decision.

I don't believe Muslims like the idea of condemning or criticizing other Muslims to Khafirs.

if they are going against the teachings of Islam and harming innocent people, i'll be the first in line to condemn them as Muslims (based on their acts). you're right though that Muslims believe Allah is the final judge.

i don't call anyone Khafir; that's not my call to make. ;) all this labeling is what gets us all into trouble in the first place.

.lava

Veteran Member

terrorists are not my brothers, Kai. of course, it is not my business to judge a person but that's not to say i could not judge someone for his doings to make myself clear about them. my opinion counts in my own reality

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
how do you propose we do that? it's very hard to convince extremists that they're wrong about anything; they're not usually receptive to criticism.
You mean you haven't given this any thought? People are going around committing murder in your name and you have no idea how to mention to them you don't think it's quite cricket?

Well, I'm sure you know better than I how to discuss your religion with your brothers and sisters. I'm no expert. I guess the big problem is how to do so without being killed. Is there some kind of Islamic process or forum or authority for discussing these issues?

I guess thoughts that occur to me are:
If you discuss these issues with other Muslims, and you can safely do so, state your point of view.
Blog.
Write letters or comments on blogs stating your opinion.
Talking to your Imam and asking him what he is doing to speak out for True Islam.

My main point is that rather than try to persuade infidels that these thugs are not True Muslims practicing True Islam, persuade the thugs. That's what might actually save some lives, including theirs.

if they are going against the teachings of Islam and harming innocent people, i'll be the first in line to condemn them as Muslims (based on their acts).
Well, are they, in your view? In that case, what line did you get in to condemn them?

croak

Trickster
My main point is that rather than try to persuade infidels that these thugs are not True Muslims practicing True Islam, persuade the thugs. That's what might actually save some lives, including theirs.
Thugs of all shades don't usually appreciate being told what to do. That's why they're called thugs. If you're a relative, a friend, a spiritual leader... you might have a chance. Otherwise it's like walking up to a gang member and saying you don't approve of his lifestyle and telling him what he should do instead. If you're lucky, he'll probably just laugh in your face. If not, he'll take offence, and that's definitely not a good situation to be in.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Thugs of all shades don't usually appreciate being told what to do. That's why they're called thugs. If you're a relative, a friend, a spiritual leader... you might have a chance. Otherwise it's like walking up to a gang member and saying you don't approve of his lifestyle and telling him what he should do instead. If you're lucky, he'll probably just laugh in your face. If not, he'll take offence, and that's definitely not a good situation to be in.

A good question to me is why are there so many thugs in some areas?

I can turn down a bad neighborhood if I'm not smart when going through Kansas City, but that's totally different from turning into a bad entire COUNTRY. (I realize not everyone in a country is a thug, but I'm implying that it likely isn't safe practically anywhere in some countries)

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

O.K. so to summarize, True Islam has been hijacked by a bunch of murderous thugs who are wreaking havoc on their fellow Muslims and the rest of the world in the name of Islam, the western world now views Islam as a religion of terrorism, and there is nothing whatsoever that Real Muslims can do about this? Is that where we're at?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I do expect any Christian who publicly calls abortion "murder" to apologize for actions like this. They furnished the bomber with a motive.

You go after their support. An extremist is just a lone nut unless he has resources... which usually come from somewhat more moderate people.

For every person who's willing to blow themselves up for a cause, there's a few dozen people who aren't inclined to become martyrs themselves, but are willing to pay a bit of money to help him buy the explosives.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I do expect any Christian who publicly calls abortion "murder" to apologize for actions like this. They furnished the bomber with a motive.

You go after their support. An extremist is just a lone nut unless he has resources... which usually come from somewhat more moderate people.

For every person who's willing to blow themselves up for a cause, there's a few dozen people who aren't inclined to become martyrs themselves, but are willing to pay a bit of money to help him buy the explosives.

That's where we come in, IMO. They are getting their money from rich Arabs who get their money from us buying their oil. No dependence on oil, no money, no terrorism. We are literally paying people to bomb us. So we and the rest of the world should be figuring out how to power our countries without oil.

Without oil money, Islam would subside back into the quiet, backward corner of the world it was occupying a few decades ago, and stop terrorizing the rest of the world.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That's where we come in, IMO. They are getting their money from rich Arabs who get their money from us buying their oil. No dependence on oil, no money, no terrorism. We are literally paying people to bomb us. So we and the rest of the world should be figuring out how to power our countries without oil.

Without oil money, Islam would subside back into the quiet, backward corner of the world it was occupying a few decades ago, and stop terrorizing the rest of the world.
Canada's a net exporter of oil, but I get your point.

Unfortunately, when deciding how best to address this problem, it often creates dilemmas such as how the natural environment should be valued against national security.