• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palestianian atheist arrested

IslamDude

The Islam Dude
Lol I only agree he's an idiot. Why go there in such a radical place?

Nothing in Islam says someone should have life imprisonment because he's an atheist. Nor Death.

Why would any sane Muslim agree?

Our best hope is that human rights activists step in and stop them. Heck they better let him go if they're gonna get anywhere with gaining supporters around the world.

gnomon

Interesting that this story comes out at the same time that of Asia Bibi, the woman in Pakistan who was sentenced to death for blasphemy for apparently doing nothing more than fetching water and exchanging words with some other women.

Although no one has ever been executed under Pakistan's blasphemy laws – most are freed on appeal – as many as 10 people are thought to have been murdered while on trial.
Ali Hasan Dayan, of Human Rights Watch, said the blasphemy laws were out of step with rights guaranteed under Pakistan's constitution and should be repealed.
"It's an obscene law," he said. "Essentially the blasphemy law is used as a tool of persecution and to settle other scores that are nothing to do with religion.
"It makes religious minorities particularly vulnerable because it's often used against them."

Cases like these make me think of the pre-Civil Rights era rural areas in the U.S. where minorities were commonly charged with outrageous crimes and murdered or imprisoned.

Anyway, blasphemy laws need to go the way of laws against misogyny. They are useless. Tell people who are offended by blasphemers to grow a backbone.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That may or may not be of any consolation to this Palestinian atheist guy.
I'm sure it's not for him. It depends on his personality and values, though.

The fact that this man is/will suffer should lead any empathetic and enlightened people in Palestine to cry out for his freedom.

Tristesse

I think the most frightening thing is that the article seems to be in favor of killing him for apostasy. The writer of this article seems to be more upset over the fact that this guy would write about Muhammad, then the fact that the punishment is life in prison. It's like living in the 12th century over there, but with computers.

Midnight Pete

I'm sure it's not for him. It depends on his personality and values, though.

The fact that this man is/will suffer should lead any empathetic and enlightened people in Palestine to cry out for his freedom.

I don't think any "enlightened" people will cry out for this man's freedom in Palestine.
Religion is kind of big deal over there and atheists are not very popular among Palestinians.

Midnight Pete

Remember, these are people who love death more than they love life.

Not the most kindly and understanding bunch under any circumstances.