• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overrated pop culture. This a lot of people love that you just don't.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The films are okay, though.
Can't say I really tried the books, but the movies (I have seen about three or four of them, including the first and the last) did not impress me.

The plotting somehow manages to be both too predictable and unclear, while the characters rarely transcend the role of living props for the protagonist's all-important journey. I actually get the sense that things and people only exist in the Potterverse to the extent that it is to Harry's convenience that they do. I half expect him to at some point turn his head too fast and realize that things do not exist when he is not looking at them. Hardly anything seems to have any significance or consequence without defining itself in relation to Harry Potter, and the plot loses a lot of appeal for that reason.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
"Social" media - including Facebook, Twitter, and whatever flavor-of-the-month picture/test-posting app is currently popular with all the insecure narcissists.

All things Japanese pop-culture. Get real.

Everybody walking around in clothes that are too small and too tight. You look like a bunch of children who don't know how to dress themselves. Hint: you're not as skinny as you apparently think you are.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Can't say I really tried the books, but the movies (I have seen about three or four of them, including the first and the last) did not impress me.

The plotting somehow manages to be both too predictable and unclear, while the characters rarely transcend the role of living props for the protagonist's all-important journey. I actually get the sense that things and people only exist in the Potterverse to the extent that it is to Harry's convenience that they do. I half expect him to at some point turn his head too fast and realize that things do not exist when he is not looking at them. Hardly anything seems to have any significance or consequence without defining itself in relation to Harry Potter, and the plot loses a lot of appeal for that reason.
This is still present in the books. The reason I prefer the films, however, is that there are still plenty of others things - mostly production-wise - to enjoy. It's still the same weak story and characters, but the sets, music, costumes, special effects, cinematography and some of the performances from the older ensemble cast are all almost uniformly top-notch and do a lot to distract from the terrible writing, in my opinion. In the books, meanwhile, you only have Rowling's relatively bland prose to experience the story through.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am so full of.....hate.
But for this thread, I'll limit myself to pop culture.

I loathe.....
Michelle Obama
People who poo poo The Wire as a show only for white guys
Al Franken
People who hate Game Of Thrones or The Simpsons
Violent or rude SJWs
Hearing Donald Trump speak
Kardashians
All reality shows....especially the one about storage unit auctions....stuff is never worth anything!
Anime
TV news....especially the talking heads who talk over each other
Modern pop music
Posters here.....you know who you are!
Sheamus......