• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overrated pop culture. This a lot of people love that you just don't.

Lorgar-Aurelian

Alright so I think there is a lot in the media today that gets way more hype than I could care for. There are a couple that really stick out to me. Go ahead and list a couple of things you think are overrated in popular culture. This can include shows, people, films, books, games ect.

Game of Thrones. I could never get into it and the only part I liked was the whole R'hllor thing. Partially because I am partial to Zoroastrianism.

The Star Wars Films. I just don't like any of the films and have always preferred the old republic books and games to anything that goes on with Han , Luke, Leia or big dick g Vader. Stormtroopers are kinda neat though cause secretly I like space fascism.

Oprah.

Family Guy.

99% of Anime.

Samurai, Ninja and Japanese culture. I'm sorry the super noble samurai who could do no wrong with his magical Katana doesn't exist and I am sometimes amazed there are people who still buy into this. Ninja were spies not super assassins. Japan Has numerous problems so the people who constantly talk about how much better it is than the united states or Europe ect are just annoying.

The Dali Lama.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Samurai, Ninja and Japanese culture. I'm sorry the super noble samurai who could do no wrong with his magical Katana doesn't exist and I am sometimes amazed there are people who still buy into this. Ninja were spies not super assassins. Japan Has numerous problems so the people who constantly talk about how much better it is than the united states or Europe ect are just annoying.
Most samurai were basically bureaucrats, not warriors.

I've practiced Japanese martial arts for a long time; I'm grateful that my sensei didn't try to misrepresent the history.

When you do kata for pushing through a crowd of people to kill someone on the other side, or stealthily creeping out from under a porch, it becomes clear that Japanese martial arts were sometimes about full-on murder, not self-defense.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
In the order that they spring to mind, not in the order of dislike...
Simpsons
Kardashians
Reality shows
Friends
Seinfeld
Game of Thrones
News "analysis" personalities and their shows, books, etc
There's more, but I'll let others go on now...

Flame

Beware
"Reality" TV. Keeping up with the Kardashians, Jersey Shore, Pawn Stars, The Real Housewives. Can't stand more then a minute of it. Also Brostep :confused:

Last edited:

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
Alright so I think there is a lot in the media today that gets way more hype than I could care for. There are a couple that really stick out to me. Go ahead and list a couple of things you think are overrated in popular culture. This can include shows, people, films, books, games ect.

Game of Thrones. I could never get into it and the only part I liked was the whole R'hllor thing. Partially because I am partial to Zoroastrianism.

The Star Wars Films. I just don't like any of the films and have always preferred the old republic books and games to anything that goes on with Han , Luke, Leia or big dick g Vader. Stormtroopers are kinda neat though cause secretly I like space fascism.

Oprah.

Family Guy.

99% of Anime.

The Dali Lama.

I like a lot of things. Some popular some not.

Hellsing Ultimate
Hellsing Ultimate Abridged
Outbreak Company
Code Geass
Shimoneta
Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged
Dragon Ball Z Abridged
Sword Art Online Abridged
Code Ment
The Mentally Advanced Series
Rainbow Dash Presents
Upheaval: Breaking Point
Upheaval: Reckoning
Kingdom Hearts
Destiny
Bronies React
Fantasia
Fantasia 2000
Death Note (Not the movies)
Mirai Nikki
Heroes (Season 1 Only)
Undertale
Ask Frisk and Company
Kirby: Super Star Ultra
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 13
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 6
Pokemon Reborn
Pokemon Insurgence
Pokemon Crystal
Pokemon Prism
D&D 3.5e
D&D 5e
Pathfinder
Cogent Roleplay System
Old World of Darkness
Once Upon a Time (That I have seen)
Black Mirror
The Inheritance Cycle (Not the movie)
The Matrix Trilogy
The Animatrix: The Second Renaissance
Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Cloud Atlas
Two Best Sisters Play
Ultra Fast Pony
Princess Mononoke
Red vs Blue

Lorgar-Aurelian

I like a lot of things. Some popular some not.

Hellsing Ultimate
Hellsing Ultimate Abridged
Outbreak Company
Code Geass
Shimoneta
Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged
Dragon Ball Z Abridged
Sword Art Online Abridged
Code Ment
The Mentally Advanced Series
Rainbow Dash Presents
Upheaval: Breaking Point
Upheaval: Reckoning
Kingdom Hearts
Destiny
Bronies React
Fantasia
Fantasia 2000
Death Note (Not the movies)
Mirai Nikki
Heroes (Season 1 Only)
Undertale
Ask Frisk and Company
Kirby: Super Star Ultra
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 13
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 6
Pokemon Reborn
Pokemon Insurgence
Pokemon Crystal
Pokemon Prism
D&D 3.5e
D&D 5e
Pathfinder
Cogent Roleplay System
Old World of Darkness
Once Upon a Time (That I have seen)
Black Mirror
The Inheritance Cycle (Not the movie)
The Matrix Trilogy
The Animatrix: The Second Renaissance
Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Cloud Atlas
Two Best Sisters Play
Ultra Fast Pony
Princess Mononoke
Red vs Blue

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Harry bloody Potter.

I really cannot understand the popularity of it. J.K Rowling cannot write a cohesive narrative, interesting character (except for Snape) or cleverly resolved plot to save her life. Instead, she relies almost entirely on deus ex machina, constantly breaking her Universe's own already nebulously defined rules, and tired old cliches trotted out by all lazy, hack writers like "fate" or "destiny" or "prophecy" without any of it carrying any meaningful weight or being approached with even the slightest hint of originality.

People say the HP world is "imaginative", but there is a distinct difference between "imagination" and "whimsy". It takes imagination to create a whole world from scratch and figure out the finer details of how it functions, so that the reader understands its structure and rules, and from that can be derived a genuine feeling of attachment, tension or comprehension of the actions or conflicts of its characters. Whimsy is when you have stuff happen in a way that is "fun" and "different" because magic. "The staircases in Hogwarts move? Whimsy! They use quills rather than far more convenient pens? Whimsy! Owls deliver mail rather than utilising magic to instantly send messages which should be well within their ability? Whimsy!"

It's poorly written, badly paced, awfully characterized, boarding school fetishism without any genuine charm, wit or intrigue. Screw Harry Potter.

The films are okay, though.

I have a strong distaste for anime - comes off as incredibly childish to me.

I also can't get into Game of Thrones and can't see what people seem to see in it.

Most superhero movies **** me off.

Someone mentioned Obama; might be the most overrated political figure in recent history. Remembering Jessie Jackson with tears welling up in his eyes back in 2008 still makes me incredibly jaded.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm leery of terms like overrated because I got tired of trying to be an authority on other people's hobbies. But there are some popular media I am not into. Sports probably being the biggest immediate example. The vast majority of sitcom television and reality TV shows being an obvious second.

I do like Game of Thrones though. The books especially. It has a lot of prophecy and detailed in-universe conspiracy and political minutia that I enjoy in world building. I also like its sci-fi cousin The Expanse.

I despise Skyrim and I think it changed a lot of video game models for the worse. The sandbox models made for inane, shallow stories to make room for vast swaths of tedious quest hubs. The most recent offender being Horizon Zero Dawn. How do you mess up a beautiful game about hunting robo dinosaurs? With 3,000 boring fetch quests and hours of flower gathering, that's how.

I'm leery of terms like overrated because I got tired of trying to be an authority on other people's hobbies. But there are some popular media I am not into. Sports probably being the biggest immediate example. The vast majority of sitcom television and reality TV shows being an obvious second.

I do like Game of Thrones though. The books especially. It has a lot of prophecy and detailed in-universe conspiracy and political minutia that I enjoy in world building. I also like its sci-fi cousin The Expanse.

I despise Skyrim and I think it changed a lot of video game models for the worse. The sandbox models made for inane, shallow stories to make room for vast swaths of tedious quest hubs. The most recent offender being Horizon Zero Dawn. How do you mess up a beautiful game about hunting robo dinosaurs? With 3,000 boring fetch quests and hours of flower gathering, that's how.

I forgot video games! They suck.

I'll also mention that I find literature or film that serves to illuminate the human condition (transgressive fiction, dirty realism, etc) to be vastly underrated.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
What isn't over-rated these days, LOL.

In no particular order...

Cable News talking heads. So... very... over-rated...
Most musical stars these days
Obama... Mr. Underwhelming himself.
Hillary... Retire, please... just retire.
99% of all "network" TV (It's utter crap really.)
Hollywood elites who want to share their concerns with the little people. "Oh, just shut up, already..." (Stick to your fricken scripts.)

@ImmortalFlame -- Harry Fricken Pothead... errr, Potter (Terrible stories. Movies were very big budget and had some very talented actors and yet even acting genius's couldn't breathe life into the two dimensional characters supplied by Rawlings.) Just forced myself to watch all the movies, in order, and was completely underwhelmed. Each could have been an hour shorter.

For the record, I love Game of Thrones... Love it and House of Cards (US). Awesome!