• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Origin of life, Adam and the Dinosaurs

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don't know if this estimation still applies, but the FBI some decades ago estimated that approximately 10% of the people in prison were convicted of crimes they didn't commit. Also, as we've seen in more recent times, there have been a fair number of people on death row who were released when it was found out through d.n.a. or other sources that they did not murder who they were found guilty of.

It's one thing if juries make a mistake by sending someone to prison, but it's quite another if that person has been executed.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I believe the instruction was to dash their own disobedient children to a wall. It doesn't say anyone ever did it. Soloman was supposed to be a wise king, in the simliar wisdom of God. Soloman once ordered a child cut in two and distributed between two women both claiming ownership. They never cut the child in half.

God also destroyed Sodom and Gamorrah because they were wicked cities, destroyed them, pregnant women and all. God is love but also justice, righteousness, vengeance and creator of all authority etc etc.

So, love your enemy is valid except when it is not?

By the way, How can you worship a being that kills pregnant women, and consides godly a man that offers his daughters to a raping mob?

Are you sure that He is the giver of your moral understanding? I seriously hope not.

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
He gave you a way out. God has it both ways, those who choose mercy can turn to Jesus, those who choose judgement can do something else..

Replace God and Jesus with the Godfather ,or any other Mafia boss, and see how your sentence still make sense.

Ciao

- fiole

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I suppose it's more to do with how your slaves are treated. A good master deserves respect.

Instructions to Servants
All who are under the yoke of slavery should regard their masters as fully worthy of honor, so that God’s name and our teaching will not be discredited. Those who have believing masters should not show disrespect because they are brothers, but should serve them all the more, since those receiving their good service are beloved believers. Teach and encourage these principles.…

Poor God. The name of the creator of billions of galaxies, the laws of nature, etc. might be discredited if a slave comes to the outlandish idea that he should not be owned. That would surely look bad on God's CV.

I cannot decide if some Christians indulge in justifying slavery because of apologetic reasons, or because they enjoy being inferior to an imaginary slaves Owner in the sky, providing for them and all if they genuflect to Him, or else....

What do you think?

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
The death penalty is superior to incarceration for the following reasons; 1. they cannot kill again, every year inmates and prison staff are killed in prisons by convicted murderers, there is no way to totally isolate them as they must have medical care, dental care, etc.. Further, cells they occupy must could be used for others in crowded prisons. 2. The cost of caring for a murderer for a lifetime must be much more expensive than just eliminating them. 3, most victim's families, for their healing in an unmitigated disaster for them, must feel more comfortable to know the murderer who killed their loved one has ceased to exist, rather than having ice cream on tuesday night and watching and enjoying tv. They have forfeited their right to live by destroying another, or more, as well as their families. God can forgive them, the civil law doesn't

Of course it can. Not only it can, it does. The death penalty is a no go in all of Europe, with the possible exception of Belarus, a de-facto communist dictatorship. For the average European, executing inmates has the same acceptance as cutting off the hands of a thief. It is, for all practical purposes, considered barbaric, emotional, primitive and useless.

And guess what. In Norway, even irreversible life sentences are considered immoral. Everything that is not focused on rehabilitation and reintegration into society, is considered immoral and dysfunctional. I am fighting to have the same laws in Sweden, which still allows irreversible life sentences, at least on paper, unfortunately.

And yet, no massacres in any of our prisons, No families getting depression or outrage because the murderer of their dear ones lives in a cell which is comparable to a 4 stars hotel room, and it is probably more comfortable than the place they live in.

Well, maybe this is due to the fact that we in the North do not expect forgiveness from a God, since we mostly do not believe in that stuff, obviously. So, we concentrate more on recuperating the lost sheep, rather than slaughtering him in front of an audience.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Kemosloby

Premium Member
So, love your enemy is valid except when it is not?

By the way, How can you worship a being that kills pregnant women, and consides godly a man that offers his daughters to a raping mob?

Are you sure that He is the giver of your moral understanding? I seriously hope not.

Ciao

- viole

Everybody is going to die one way or another. Who's fault is that? Chit happens, everybody knows that.
Who knows what Lot was thinking. He knew the Angels had come and were in his house. They were under his protection and Lot held nothing back to do just that. Lot himself stood between the raping homosexual mob and the Angels before they pulled him inside and destroyed the wicked city. Yes, i've read the story and have no problem with it.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Replace God and Jesus with the Godfather ,or any other Mafia boss, and see how your sentence still make sense.

Ciao

- fiole

Name one of them or even a pope for that matter ever crucified or died willingly for our sins...

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Poor God. The name of the creator of billions of galaxies, the laws of nature, etc. might be discredited if a slave comes to the outlandish idea that he should not be owned. That would surely look bad on God's CV.

I cannot decide if some Christians indulge in justifying slavery because of apologetic reasons, or because they enjoy being inferior to an imaginary slaves Owner in the sky, providing for them and all if they genuflect to Him, or else....

What do you think?

Ciao

- viole

People were mad that he said to keep on paying taxes to Ceasar too. Jesus had the agenda of bringing people to God. Give unto Ceasar,,,etc. Jesus said if you can free yourself from slavery fine, if not don't worry about it. basically. It wasn't his goal to change the world...at least not until the second coming.

shmogie

Of course it can. Not only it can, it does. The death penalty is a no go in all of Europe, with the possible exception of Belarus, a de-facto communist dictatorship. For the average European, executing inmates has the same acceptance as cutting off the hands of a thief. It is, for all practical purposes, considered barbaric, emotional, primitive and useless.

And guess what. In Norway, even irreversible life sentences are considered immoral. Everything that is not focused on rehabilitation and reintegration into society, is considered immoral and dysfunctional. I am fighting to have the same laws in Sweden, which still allows irreversible life sentences, at least on paper, unfortunately.

And yet, no massacres in any of our prisons, No families getting depression or outrage because the murderer of their dear ones lives in a cell which is comparable to a 4 stars hotel room, and it is probably more comfortable than the place they live in.

Well, maybe this is due to the fact that we in the North do not expect forgiveness from a God, since we mostly do not believe in that stuff, obviously. So, we concentrate more on recuperating the lost sheep, rather than slaughtering him in front of an audience.

Ciao

- viole
There are many, many studies, over a 50 year period, that show the recidivism rate for inmates in so called rehabilitation programs, and those just housed are about the same. One of my degree's is in Criminal justice, and the rehab model is followed because those doing it feel better, it makes little difference to the prisoner. We see what kind of society Sweden is evolving into, weaker, weaker and weaker. To treat a person who has illegally taken another human life with complete malice, as your country does, is nothing to be proud of, it is revolting.

shmogie

I don't know if this estimation still applies, but the FBI some decades ago estimated that approximately 10% of the people in prison were convicted of crimes they didn't commit. Also, as we've seen in more recent times, there have been a fair number of people on death row who were released when it was found out through d.n.a. or other sources that they did not murder who they were found guilty of.

It's one thing if juries make a mistake by sending someone to prison, but it's quite another if that person has been executed.
No person wrongly executed has ever been documented in modern legal history in the USA. Those who promote the argument that there should be no executions because someone might be executed by accident, should be prepared to accept responsibility for the murders convicted murderers commit, and since nothing more can be done to the murderer, they should go to jail.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
No person wrongly executed has ever been documented in modern legal history in the USA. Those who promote the argument that there should be no executions because someone might be executed by accident, should be prepared to accept responsibility for the murders convicted murderers commit, and since nothing more can be done to the murderer, they should go to jail.
You might want to check this out: Wrongful execution - Wikipedia

Also, we have seen people released from death row after d.n.a. tests showed that the murder charged against them was not actually done by them.

By chance, do you consider yourself to be "pro-life"?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Also, we have seen people released from death row after d.n.a. tests showed that the murder charged against them was not actually done by them.

I lost confidence in the American legal system when I learned about Project Innocence - a once in multiple lifetimes opportunity to asses the reliability of the jury system.

In fact, I decided then that if I was ever wrongly accused of a serious crime and had a reasonable chance to succeed as a fugitive, I would flee even as an innocent man before subjecting myself to that process absent irrefutable forensic evidence of my innocence.

The idea of guilty beyond a reasonable doubt is just words. The idea that jurors are just and intelligent is a dangerous one. I would trust the forensic scientists before the courts, but they would not be the ones deciding my fate.

Milton Platt

Could Adam have been alive with the dinosaurs according to scripture. Yes, absolutely. No fossils of humans are found with the dinosaurs because humans, Adam and Eve were immortal, they did not die like the animals.

In 7 days God created the Heaven and the Earth. With God a day is 1,000 years, a day is also a day our time. It is ambiguouos whether creation was 7 days our time or 7,000 years. But Man was created immortal, his days were not numbered. There is an indefinite time period between creation and the fall of man, which could have been millions of years. When Adam ate the fruit he became mortal, his days were numbered and time began. God said "In the day they ate of it they would surely die" A day with God is 1,000 years, so they would die within 1,000 years, which accounts for Adam's age of a few hundred years old, from the time of the fall of man until his death.

When you qualify the question with "according to scripture" you might as well be qualifying it with "according to Star Trek".

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
There are many, many studies, over a 50 year period, that show the recidivism rate for inmates in so called rehabilitation programs, and those just housed are about the same. One of my degree's is in Criminal justice, and the rehab model is followed because those doing it feel better, it makes little difference to the prisoner. We see what kind of society Sweden is evolving into, weaker, weaker and weaker. To treat a person who has illegally taken another human life with complete malice, as your country does, is nothing to be proud of, it is revolting.

Your sense of justice seems to be more motivated by emotions than rationality. But is you like emotions, then I consider revolting killing people in front of an audience. For the average European this is beyond barbaric. You might disagree, but this is what they think.

And what do you mean with Sweden getting weaker? And why only Sweden? All of Europe rejects the death penalty. No State can be part of the European Community if it practices the death penalty.

Does it make us less safe than contries where the death penalty is applied?

Let's test it. Suppose you need to leave your country and you are given a choice. You cannot choose your new country, since it will be randomly selected, but you are given the opportunity to choose whether it has the death penalty or not.

What would you choose?

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
People were mad that he said to keep on paying taxes to Ceasar too. Jesus had the agenda of bringing people to God. Give unto Ceasar,,,etc. Jesus said if you can free yourself from slavery fine, if not don't worry about it. basically. It wasn't his goal to change the world...at least not until the second coming.

Don't worry slave. The second coming is nigh. In this life I can only cure blind people, walk on water, ressurect dead people and provide some magical wine for a wedding. No time for your chains, now, or even to make it clear cut that you should not have them. Don't disturb my agenda, with your petty requests.

Ciao

- viole