• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Origin of life, Adam and the Dinosaurs

Kemosloby

Premium Member
So what are you expecting heaven to be like? Are you expecting to spend all of your time praising God? Sex is out. Taking a walk is out. The beach is out. Going out for lunch with a friend is out.

Consider this experience in cyberspace, and compare it with experiences in meat space. Here, for all practical purposes, we're all disembodied spirits - pure mind. Without the avatars and account names, which I assume souls in heaven won't have, I couldn't tell one RF poster from another. We never hear one another laugh or see one another smile or frown.

Are you expecting to be able to hear other souls? You won't have ears or use sound waves, so it would have to be something telepathic like the way you pray to God. If so, will you have any way to shut all of those voices out?

Are you expecting to retain your free will in heaven? Your sin nature?

I don't really know, But Jesus seems to think it is something we would like. I'm guessing I can't even imagine how good it is.

The bible does say you'll have a body much better than the mortal body. I suppose the sinful nature will be cured. Probably have completely different thoughts that we do now. You'll be a new man with new things going on. Maybe you'll like it so much you won't be able to stop praising God. So the bible says in those days everybody spends all day praising God, not because God makes them but because they are so happy they have nothing negative to say about God.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Parents beat their kids sometimes. The metaphor about having human rulers is basically being their slaves, like they are our parents. We can't get enough human rulers, we have federal, state, local, community etc. Then preachers and priests and etc etc. They prescribe punishment sometimes, even death.

Do you see government officials and clergy as your rulers? Most of us posting here are citizens of free countries, and are free to leave them if we have the will to do so. I don't feel ruled by anybody. I submit to local law willingly and by an unwritten social contract, laws written by my peers chosen by vote to do so by those who also agree to submit to such choices.

Do you see children as owned and slaves? I'll bet you don't.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't really know, But Jesus seems to think it is something we would like. I'm guessing I can't even imagine how good it is.

The bible does say you'll have a body much better than the mortal body. I suppose the sinful nature will be cured. Probably have completely different thoughts that we do now. You'll be a new man with new things going on. Maybe you'll like it so much you won't be able to stop praising God. So the bible says in those days everybody spends all day praising God, not because God makes them but because they are so happy they have nothing negative to say about God.

If the sinful nature can be cured, why is it allowed to continue to exist on earth? I realize that you cannot be expected to know the answer to that, but the question raises a good point.

The angels weren't prevented from rebelling, which we are told led to a third of them doing so and getting evicted. Do you think that that becomes an impossibility for you once in heaven? It pretty much needs to be for you to not suffer their fate. Eternity is a really long time, especially near the end (a nod to Woody Allen for that one)

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Do you see government officials and clergy as your rulers? Most of us posting here are citizens of free countries, and are free to leave them if we have the will to do so. I don't feel ruled by anybody. I submit to local law willingly and by an unwritten social contract, laws written by my peers chosen by vote to do so by those who also agree to submit to such choices.

Do you see children as owned and slaves? I'll bet you don't.

Obviously this world and the next are different. Laws are necessary because the world is full of sinners. "The law was made for sinners" "The law was never intended to prevent people from doing good" So in the next life if your sinful nature is removed and you're no longer inclined to sin, what do you need a law for? That's why Jesus says those who are my slaves are free indeed, or will be set free..stuff like that.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
If the sinful nature can be cured, why is it allowed to continue to exist on earth? I realize that you cannot be expected to know the answer to that, but the question raises a good point.

The angels weren't prevented from rebelling, which we are told led to a third of them doing so and getting evicted. Do you think that that becomes an impossibility for you once in heaven? It pretty much needs to be for you to not suffer their fate. Eternity is a really long time, especially near the end (a nod to Woody Allen for that one)

Grass is always greener on the other side. Perhaps having already seen this side of things the temptation to rebel is removed.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Grass is always greener on the other side. Perhaps having already seen this side of things the temptation to rebel is removed.

If it were true that grass is always greener on the other side, then it is irrational to rebel. Because if your rebellion is successful, then you will notice that grass is greener on the side you have just left.

Ciao

- viole

Kemosloby

Premium Member
If it were true that grass is always greener on the other side, then it is irrational to rebel. Because if your rebellion is successful, then you will notice that grass is greener on the side you have just left.

Ciao

- viole

Having already been there dispels the illusion. Since then you know both sides, nothing left to imagination.