• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Origin of homophobia?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That they are pre-historic human beings, not a different species, they are us from very long time ago.
OK, got it. That's a legitimate point of view. It all depends on where you choose to draw the line between human and non-human beings. That would make for an interesting discussion.
Morphologically, though, you have to admit some significant differences.

epronovost

OK, got it. That's a legitimate point of view. It all depends on where you choose to draw the line between human and non-human beings. That would make for an interesting discussion.
Morphologically, though, you have to admit some significant differences.

Well there were different species of human beings. If the term species is used, then you have to rely on taxonomy.

Tambourine

I've heard people on here say homophobia can be attributed mostly to the rise of Christianity but is it that simple? Perhaps homosexuality 200,000 to 1,000,000 years ago had a role in small groups where one male dominated both male and female and the lesser males started developing homophobic traits over time which carried over into ideologies as they started to take shape and ultimately 'homophobic' religions like Christianity were born, no? We did evolve into something a bit different than other animals so that in and of itself shows that we could've developed homophobic traits over time. Regular animals that practice homosexuality aren't homophobic. So I think it's likely homophobia could've developed 200,000 to 1,000,000 years ago given the nature of the genus homo and what it's become today. I don't know if I'm convinced that 'monkeymen' were all lovable, cuddly, sweet and innocent.
It depends on what you mean by "homophonia" here. Ancient cultures did not categorize sexual relationships in the same way we do. For example, for the Greeks and Romans, notions of "heterosexuality" or "homosexuality" were largely irrelevant: What mattered primarily to the moralists of Classical Greek and Roman intellectual culture, was whether Roman or Greek men were in a position of dominance in sexual relationships (both in terms of the actual physical positions, and in terms of the general dynamic of the relationship) rather than the gender of their partner.

Christianity initially wasn't particularly homophobic, as far as I can tell, insofar as it was simply hostile to all forms of sexual relations. But it was European Christians who introduced homosexuality as a separate category of relationships that they considered distinct in moral terms to heterosexual relationships.

King Phenomenon

If you were gay, I wouldn't be talking about how wrong it is to be gay... I would be talking about how great is the love of God towards us.

I don't go around talking about how fast you are speeding, how living together is not the best thing et al.

Just share the love, preach the Gospel and let the Holy Spirit deal with the heart... after all, when I gave my life to Jesus, I wan't a saint.

However, my point still stands. Just because I said "lying is wrong" doesn't translate into being a lyophobic. (sp?) Then I would but upset at everybody - even myself?
Well that's good then. So that's good that you believe it's wrong just for you and nobody else

King Phenomenon

It depends on what you mean by "homophonia" here. Ancient cultures did not categorize sexual relationships in the same way we do. For example, for the Greeks and Romans, notions of "heterosexuality" or "homosexuality" were largely irrelevant: What mattered primarily to the moralists of Classical Greek and Roman intellectual culture, was whether Roman or Greek men were in a position of dominance in sexual relationships (both in terms of the actual physical positions, and in terms of the general dynamic of the relationship) rather than the gender of their partner.

Christianity initially wasn't particularly homophobic, as far as I can tell, insofar as it was simply hostile to all forms of sexual relations. But it was European Christians who introduced homosexuality as a separate category of relationships that they considered distinct in moral terms to heterosexual relationships.
I'm talking 1 million years ago

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Well that's good then. So that's good that you believe it's wrong just for you and nobody else
Is that what I said? I just don't believe in throwing stones.

Pointing to a problem doesn't create a solution... it augments a problem. Pointing to an answer creates a solution:

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

It isn't that there aren't things that are not of a good report... but if you want out of stinking thinking, you don't continue thinking on what is wrong... you think on "things that are true... "

King Phenomenon

Is that what I said? I just don't believe in throwing stones.

Pointing to a problem doesn't create a solution... it augments a problem. Pointing to an answer creates a solution:

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

It isn't that there aren't things that are not of a good report... but if you want out of stinking thinking, you don't continue thinking on what is wrong... you think on "things that are true... "
Okee dokee

Tambourine

And as I have stated before, 21st century homophobia is different from ancient homophobia, which was focused on notions of patriarchy and male dominance rather than categories of sexual relationships.

Therefore I find your claim that modern homophobia developed in prehistoric times very dubious.