• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Origin of homophobia?

King Phenomenon

And as I have stated before, 21st century homophobia is different from ancient homophobia, which was focused on notions of patriarchy and male dominance rather than categories of sexual relationships.

Therefore I find your claim that modern homophobia developed in prehistoric times very dubious.
Yeah things get different overtime

Tambourine

Yes, but we didn't start doing it until we were us.
We have records of times when people were prejudiced in entirely different ways than today, suggesting that our current bigotries are unlikely to have originated in the prehistoric era. The idea that there are specific categories of human beings distinguished primarily by whom they feel sexually attracted has not always been around.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Monkey man is easier than all those complex names gee
Lol

But not in the least accurate and shows a lack of understanding of our evolution and is seen by some as an insult.

And "ape" is only half as much typing as "monkey", consider conserving energy

King Phenomenon

But not in the least accurate and shows a lack of understanding of our evolution and is seen by some as an insult.

And "ape" is only half as much typing as "monkey", consider conserving energy
I understand it. If people think I don't then that's on them. And I doubt anybody's insulted that I named an animal from a million years ago a monkeyman. Don't really see where the offense is

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I understand it. If people think I don't then that's on them. And I doubt anybody's insulted that I named an animal from a million years ago a monkeyman. Don't really see where the offense is

No you wouldn't.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Many people are really, really sensitive these days PS; quick to jump on to anything that might smack of racism, sexism, religious prejudice, &c. You have to pick your words carefully, even if there's no racial implication intended.

King Phenomenon

Many people are really, really sensitive these days PS; quick to jump on to anything that might smack of racism, sexism, religious prejudice, &c. You have to pick your words carefully, even if there's no racial implication intended.
You know I did think of that. But then I thought no people won't be that weird but Perhaps you're right. I'm willing to change.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
What I noticed is, male dogs who are not fixed (by man), are less tolerant of gay play. While dogs that are fixed (by man) are more tolerant. A bunch of neutered males in a dog park have lost their natural instinct along with their testicles. While males that are intact have a more competitive instinct for procreation.

Homosexual analogies in male animals is typically done for dominance. Apes do this to define pecking order. This, if done to excess would create fear in the other males. A connection to this predictor and dominance behavior may have create the fear or phobia.

In the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, groups of gay men would gang rape anything that would move. This would generate fear or phobia. Ironically, leather, chains and shackles which are characteristic of dominance and submission is the uniform of choice for gays. Gay behavior started the phobia, when some human males became fixed and unnatural somehow due to culture.

In modern times, prisons can cause a type of neutering in the natural expression of sexual instinct. Then sex becomes misdirected and aggressive. This creates phobia in the natural males. Once the neutering is over; out of prison, natural instinct often returns. So one may ask, what is the modern social prison for gays that neutered them? This same social prison may be setting the background of fear or phobia.
What a ridiculous post.

Scott C.

Just one guy

The term homophobia is very loaded and very ambiguous. So if we want to understand the origin of it, we need to agree on the definition. For example:

1. Suppose someone has an irrational fear that gay people are going to rape them or do them bodily harm. That would be like an irrational fear of heights or closed spaces I suppose. I would imagine the origin is some type of mental illness, like agoraphobia, or other phobias.
2. Suppose someone has a religiously motivated hatred for gay people and wants to beat them up. That is irrational, but is not a phobia. It's more of a hatred. I would call that a corrupt interpretation of most religions, certanly a corruption of Christianity which teaches love for all.
3. Suppose someone believes same gender sex is a sin, but loves all people regardless of their actions. This is a religiously based view, motivated by love and is certainly not a phobia. I would say this belief takes root in the Bible and is held by many sincere people who try to follow Christ.

So yes the defintion of homophobia matters in the original question.