• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

organized religion

syo

which is better, organized or solitary religion? a religion with priests, or with no priests?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
which is better, organized or solitary religion? a religion with priests, or with no priests?
My personal preference is for everyone to see to their own religious/spiritual needs...a libertarian and/or anarchic, non-hierarchical solution. Everyone be their own priest/priestess. At worst, a small group, like a family, might have/select one of their number to mostly handle such matters.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Unorganized with no priests, but with lots of therapists.

Is man made in the image of God, or not? If humankind is really in the image of God, let God be organizer and priest.

Reactions: syo

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There's a saying in law that goes "If a person serves as his own lawyer, the lawyer has a fool for a client". OK, to explain.

Even though nearly every person in the world, I believe, has it within themselves to foster their own spirituality to an extent, to do so without access to information could be just an exercise in ignorance. Once we swallow the bitter pill of our own limitations, then we can come to possibly understand that there are resources out there that can be very helpful to us, and some of those resources may be people who may know a lot more than what we personally do.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There's a saying in law that goes "If a person serves as his own lawyer, the lawyer has a fool for a client". OK, to explain.

Even though nearly every person in the world, I believe, has it within themselves to foster their own spirituality to an extent, to do so without access to information could be just an exercise in ignorance. Once we swallow the bitter pill of our own limitations, then we can come to possibly understand that there are resources out there that can be very helpful to us, and some of those resources may be people who may know a lot more than what we personally do.
Yes, but priests are not for information.
Unorganized and without priests still allows for teachers.

Priest;

an ordained minister of the Catholic, Orthodox, or Anglican Church having the authority to perform certain rites and administer certain sacraments.

one authorized to perform the sacred rites of a religion especially as a mediatory agent between humans and God

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do you guys know something? I am absolutely and positively without any doubt at all that if I were to go to the best theological university in the whole wide world and actually graduated even with honors, you still wouldn't believe me.

idea

Question Everything
It is good to gather together, but there is no borrowed light. If your church is your god, there will be no God in your church. within any organization, separate the wheat from the tares, take what is good, but do not let the organization control or place itself between you and God. Make your allegiance to principles of goodness and kindness. Do not devote yourself to an organization, devote yourself to following principles.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think that anyone can be a teacher. Even a baby can teach, but not on purpose which makes it all the more wonderful. Doesn't it?

David1967

Premium Member
which is better, organized or solitary religion?

I think there needs to be some form of organization in which to establish the foundations of said religion.

a religion with priests, or with no priests?

Depends on how much power is given to the priests. You know the saying, "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Very relevant in this case.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Cells are organized without any extra prompting from God.
Why can't people do it? They can, but they are being taught that they can not.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Do you guys know something? I am absolutely and positively without any doubt at all that if I were to go to the best theological university in the whole wide world and actually graduated even with honors, you still wouldn't believe me.
Of course I would not.

Why would anyone expect otherwise?