• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

organized religion

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If the reason there can't be any understanding about it is because priests are people who are guessing about what pleases The God then I shall secede the argument to you all. Thank you for talking to me!

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The only way a person can please The God is to know The God. So, are you saying that all this time and all those priests later they are all guessing?
Neither are true, but what I'm picking up from you is that you want to just argue, so I don't really get the impression that you have any interest whatsoever in what I'm posting that goes beyond just that. I taught Catholic theology to adults for 14 years, and all I'm trying to do here is to answer your questions as if I still belonged to the church and believe in what they teach.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Neither are true, but what I'm picking up from you is that you want to just argue, so I don't really get the impression that you have any interest whatsoever in what I'm posting that goes beyond just that. I taught Catholic theology to adults for 14 years, and all I'm trying to do here is to answer your questions as if I still belonged to the church and believe in what they teach.
I do not think the thread is about only Catholic priests. I think the term was used for any religious leader that people put their trust in to teach them about God. @syo
But, I have been wrong before and will be wrong again.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't agree with that definition because there are many people who are not priests who are dedicated to the spread of religious doctrine and therefore are for the practice of it, even as a career like some Jehovah's Witnesses and evangelizers are.
You misunderstood my question.

I was asking how/why people may find knowledge in theology actually useful.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
which is better, organized or solitary religion? a religion with priests, or with no priests?

I prefer to be in direct communion with my gods, thanks. :D

Even if at times I barely get the hint, at least I know what I got.

Reactions: syo

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Can you not imagine that a person goes to a priest to get a good conscience in front of God?
I am sure that is a very real phenomenon.
Real, quite possibly.

But such a personal matter can't in good conscience be presented as if it were somehow "certifiable" or something.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Them" being people who claim to speak on behalf of God (as opposed to Priests)? Sure.
You're an atheist. Right? What is a priest but someone who people believe speak about God's way?
According to you, there is no God so no God's way. Correct? If so, then they are all fakers. And, fakers are alright by you? They are not alright by me.

pearl

I am not sure what purpose, if any, theology serves, but it sure as heck is not supposed to make people believable.

Yet, it is through the theology of the Evangelists who penned Mt and Lk that we believe and celebrate His birth 2000+ years later!

midopafo

which is better, organized or solitary religion? a religion with priests, or with no priests?

Priests as we know it these days are anathema, however there have always been those who represent the people before God, organized religion as we know it today is anathema to salvation, better to stay with ones conscience, in my opinion.

arthra

Baha'i

I think you've touched on an area that relates to a degree with my experience...
Of course most of us I think in exploring religion happen to search from an independent perhaps solitary vantage. We are independent in our search and exploration of a given religion or spiritual truth.
I would recognize though the value of "organized" religion being more capable of preserving spiritual explorations and discoveries over time. Given that there are records preserved over centuries through some organization.
If religion is solely solitary who will discover the truths?

As to priests I think certainly priests being part of the church have had a historical role in preserving truths. Consider the origin of the term "cleric":

1615-25; < Late Latin clēricus priest < Greek klērikós, equivalent to klêr(os) lot, allotment + -ikos -ic
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/-ic
and "clerical"

1425-75 for sense “learned”; 1585-95 for def 3; late Middle English < Late Latin clēricālis, equivalent to clēric(us) cleric + -ālis -al1

the definition of clerical

But there are "organized" religions that do not have "clerics" or priests. In my Faith there are no priests but we have an elective body that is recognized among us as fulfilling some of roles commonly attributed to clerics such as overseeing marriages, divorces, burials and other functions.

Jedster

Cells are organized without any extra prompting from God.
Why can't people do it? They can, but they are being taught that they can not.

Indeed. If they really believe in the omni-everything God, why have any intermediaries, whether people(clergy) or books.

Jumi

Organized is too limited for my purposes, what if the priest knows less than you? Or if he knows more than his religion permits, but isn't allowed to say it in public?

Jumi

Indeed. If they really believe in the omni-everything God, why have any intermediaries, whether people(clergy) or books.
Books can be useful to gain access to certain experiences, like having some passwords on some files you'd rather not spend all your time learning to crack. Too bad the books are mostly encrypted too, so either way you're going to spend time if you want to go into deeper waters.