• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

organized religion

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
OK. Good for you! So many people here say, "he is a scholar, he is to be believed!" OMG!
All these days and you never noticed that?
I am not sure what purpose, if any, theology serves, but it sure as heck is not supposed to make people believable.

Or, for that matter, to make them better priests.

Being believable has a lot of worth, all the more so for a priest, but that will not come from studying theology.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am not sure what purpose, if any, theology serves, but it sure as heck is not supposed to make people believable.

Or, for that matter, to make them better priests.

Being believable has a lot of worth, all the more so for a priest, but that will not come from studying theology.
People keep telling me stuff I already know. Why not tell THEM that?

You might have a different definition of priest where you are here it means someone who knows God.

a person who intervenes on behalf of another
Intervene means to come between.
Priests are for coming between the believer and The God.

What do you think a priest is?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
People keep telling me stuff I already know. Why not tell THEM that?

You might have a different definition of priest where you are here it means someone who knows God.

Honest question: does anyone find that an useful definition? How and why?

a person who intervenes on behalf of another
Intervene means to come between.
Priests are for coming between the believer and The God.

What do you think a priest is?
A person dedicated to the spread of religious doctrine and practice, often or even usually as a career.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

A person dedicated to the spread of religious doctrine and practice, often or even usually as a career.
I don't agree with that definition because there are many people who are not priests who are dedicated to the spread of religious doctrine and therefore are for the practice of it, even as a career like some Jehovah's Witnesses and evangelizers are.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
which is better, organized or solitary religion? a religion with priests, or with no priests?

It depends on the person's preference. Organized religion gives a person structure. For example, even though I do things on my own, I also go to classes and do rituals with teachers and community of Buddhists. Some things we learn outside the temple and other things work best while at the temple getting instruction from the teacher him or herself. Also, a more personal relationship with teachers since there are many helps practitioners understand what we are doing so when we practice alone we don't make a habit of doing one thing when it's supposed to be done another. Initiations and advance prayers and rituals give practitioners a sense of achievement and comfort where when alone, to get that sense of spirituality, it takes more discipline than anything else.

I wouldn't say organized, I'd say a community-based religion as opposed to a solitary based. Organized sounds like politics. If you take the politics out of "organized" religions they are still structured but centered to help the community in their spiritual growth.

Solitary helps because it gives the practitioner more freedom to do as he chooses. In that light, picking and choosing practices are preferred while others just feel they have more independence in solitary practice rather than in a community.

Priests? When I was practicing Catholicism, priest are very very important in one's spiritual growth. So, yes, priest are a necessity. When you grow in christ in the sacraments, you don't do so as a loner. Christ never taught that neither did his disciples. The Jews don't practice solitary worship. Everything was done as a community.

I'd say no priest if you want to do solitary. If you want community, with priests. In general, any authority of a given religion is seen more of someone who is an elder or someone with experience of practice and knowledge rather than someone gathering money or being a boss over practitioners.

Once you get out of that political worldview, it doesn't matter either way. I prefer community religions. Everyone is different.

Reactions: syo

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The definition in question of a priest is someone who knows God.
Not really knows. LOL In people's opinion a priest is someone who knows God.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is a fool who would intercede between two beings he does not know.

So, to be nice, we must assume a priest believes he knows God.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
So, to be nice, we must assume a priest believes he knows God.
Not really, and I've been attending Catholic churches with my wife for over 50 years, and I have never heard of one single priest ever make such a claim. If one did, he'd probably be laughed out of the church and watch people leave in droves.

Nor have I ever heard a rabbi make such a claim.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
S
Not really, and I've been attending Catholic churches with my wife for over 50 years, and I have never heard of one single priest ever make such a claim. If one did, he'd probably be laughed out of the church and watch people leave in droves.

Nor have I ever heard a rabbi make such a claim.
Seeing you missed the point I shall try again.
IF the real definition of a priest is a person who intercedes between a believer and the God then he has to know God. How else can he do it?

Why don't you people tell me how I am misunderstanding the meanings of to intercede and to intervene?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
HOW can a person intercede between another person and God to make things right with the person IF HE DOESN'T THINK HE KNOWS what? To know how to make things right with God MEANS nothing else but that they think they KNOW. Know what? GOD.

God damn.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you know how to please me it means you know me.
If I know how to please you it means I know you.
Priests are in the business of pleasing God. Correct?

metis

IF the real definition of a priest is a person who intercedes between a believer and the God then he has to know God. How else can he do it?
It relates to Jesus telling the apostles that whatever sins they bind on Earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever sins they may loosen may be loosened in heaven. This power is believed by some churches to have been passed on to their appointees and all other subsequent appointees that head a church.

Therefore, it has nothing to do with a priest believing he knows God.

Last edited:

metis

HOW can a person intercede between another person and God to make things right with the person IF HE DOESN'T THINK HE KNOWS what?
The confession is conditional, with the absolution being fulfilled only if the person has confessed with his/her sincerity.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It relates to Jesus telling the apostles that whatever sins they bind on Earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever sins they may loosen may be loosened in heaven. This power is believed by some churches to have been passed on to their appointees and all other subsequent appointees that head a church.

Therefore, it has nothing to do with a priest believing he is God.
LOL. Tell me you're kidding me!

Who believes he is God?

I said that the priest and the people who believe in that priests HAVE TO trust that the priest KNOWS [not IS] God.

metis

Priests are in the business of pleasing God.
No, as they're in the business of teaching and conducting the sacraments. Hopefully they please God in the process.

BTW, I just want to point out that I am neither Catholic nor Christian.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No, as they're in the business of teaching and conducting the sacraments. Hopefully they please God in the process.

BTW, I just want to point out that I am neither Catholic nor Christian.
I know that because I am paying attention.

The only way a person can please The God is to know The God. So, are you saying that all this time and all those priests later they are all guessing?