1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Opposition to Saudi Arabia's male guardianship system

Discussion in 'Religious News' started by danieldemol, Jan 12, 2019 at 2:13 PM.

1. danieldemol

danieldemol Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +735
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
  2. sun rise

sun rise "Love pours forth from the heart of the universe."
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,498
    Religion:
    Love
    Good for her. That backward society needs to come into the 17th century at least. And maybe they can get to the 20th in 50 years.

#2 sun rise, Jan 12, 2019 at 3:13 PM
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 3:33 PM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Ellen Brown

Ellen Brown Sorry, just trying to sort the NONSENSE
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +862
    Religion:
    I hope there is something out there that is smarter than me.
    She has gone to Canada and I hope that she will be safe there. Saudi leaders will try to kidnap her, so I do hope that the Canadians hide her effectively. I think that the "women's revolution" will not happen until the "Wahhabist minded" religious leaders are somehow discredited. It seems likely to me that they played a large part in the 9/11 attack, though I think the existing US government of the time somehow colluded with them. Or, perhaps what they did was a bit like what our President did before the start of WWII?

I'm somewhat of the sentiment that the Saud family need to go as leaders there. I don't think that "real" Islam is a big player there, since I was told by a Saudi National who stayed with me at times, that only about 1/3 to 1/4 of Saudis are even religious, and that Alcoholism is a huge problem there.

Lots of Muslims have been quietly fleeing places like Saudi Arabia, and Iran.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,975
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    One would hope the situation would get better, but history sadly tells us that sometimes regimes just dig in deeper.

5. SomeRandom

SomeRandom Still learning to be wise

Ratings:
    +3,862
    Agreed. I hate to use the "it's the current year" phrase. But I mean enough is enough. Hurry up and catch up.

6. SomeRandom

Ratings:
    +3,862
    It will get worse before it gets better. That's how it always goes it seems. But push people around long enough and they will fight back. It might take a few revolutions, but never give up hope.

7. Woberts

Woberts The Perfumed Seneschal

Ratings:
    +1,488
    Religion:
    Lovecraftian Atheist
    That's assuming that the revolutions aren't crushed by powers that wish to remain the top dog, i.e America.

8. SomeRandom

Ratings:
    +3,862
    Ahh but this could be good PR for America. If they support women led revolutions they get to play saviour of damsels in distress. What American could resist?
    Course not sure if a "reformed government" will give up that sweet sweet oil America is forever drooling over. Maybe it'll be an easier sell for a revolutionised Saudi though.
    Time will tell.
    That said only Canada has shown to have the balls to publicly criticise Saudi Arabia over its treatment of women. Which is funny to me considering how they're known for being exceedingly polite.

(Americans please note I'm not criticising you or your government. Just commenting on your international reputation is all.)

#8 SomeRandom, Jan 12, 2019 at 3:52 PM
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 5:23 PM
  9. Firemorphic

Firemorphic Whatever, tell me something I haven't heard before

Ratings:
    +133
    Religion:
    Idiosyncratic meta Shia Muslim
    What about just opposing Saudi Arabia in general though? If I could have my way, the Wahhabis would be out of power over night. I would keep the culture "Islamic" but remove any laws against other sects and religions.
    Then trying to shut down Isis, AlQaeda and other Wahhabi hollywood actors would be the next move.

10. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,975
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    Oil buys friends.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Epic Beard Man

Epic Beard Man Bearded Philosopher

Ratings:
    +2,481
    Religion:
    One that which the Creator made
    The problem with this is Christian missionaries at least evangelical ones do not respect different cultures as we have seen this through human history. We saw this with the unfortunate death of the Christian who tried to evangelize some indigenous people. Western Christian often try to make evangelizing people synonymous with freedom and so although I'm with you on your suggestions considering how annoying Christian evangelicals are and how intrusive and disrespectful they are when it comes to other people's culture, I think we should keep a just and free society but restrict proselytizing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. Firemorphic

Firemorphic Whatever, tell me something I haven't heard before

Ratings:
    +133
    Religion:
    Idiosyncratic meta Shia Muslim
    I fully agree. The evangelical missionary part is what I don't appreciate and wouldn't tolerate myself but they should absolutely be free to believe and practice their religion.

13. Ellen Brown

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +862
    Religion:
    One of the things about treating women badly, and as sexual currency is that it feeds the dark side of men, and after enough mistreatment, women will have the Stockholm Syndrome mindset. Deep inside I still feel that Hijab covers my sin and protects me, as if women can be brainwashed to believe that everything is their fault.

14. Ellen Brown

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +862
    Religion:
    Alhumduallah. I support this. We need the help of Allah SWT.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Evangelicalhumanist

Evangelicalhumanist "Truth" isn't a thing...

Ratings:
    +2,375
    Religion:
    None, a humanist who doesn't even worship humans
    See, this is why I'm a humanist.

16. SomeRandom

Ratings:
    +3,862
    See this is what happens when you allow things to fester. Religions (maybe some pagan religions are exempt) allow power structures to not only form but thrive. Religion is a pyramid scheme essentially. The privileged few at the top, potential "salvation" for those who join up and rules to follow for the proletariat. And notice it's often about control on every level.

I just find myself more and more dissillusioned by the abusive practices of religions/cultures in general.
    Might make a third wave feminist of me yet.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Epic Beard Man

Ratings:
    +2,481
    Religion:
    See what? What does this situation have to do with being a humanist?

18. Epic Beard Man

Ratings:
    +2,481
    Religion:
    This post is why I advocate people to go to a university and major in religion and actually study religions and their evolution.

19. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Bompu Zen Man with a little bit of Bushido.

Ratings:
    +6,757
    Religion:
    Zen Buddhism
    As long as they keep hanging executed people aloft from cranes as a public display and warning, I'm sure the Saudis will remain well entrenched for the long-term.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ellen Brown

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +862
    Religion:

A very long time ago I read something in a book or an article that said over recorded Human history, the power of women has fluctuated, a lot. In Islam, Khadijah, Muhammad's wife funded the start of Islam and years later, women are forced into what is effectively slavery. I can't remember more about it.