• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only God can keep some of us sober

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I realize that I am powerless over drugs and alcohol addiction. I was not relying on God to keep me sober. Here are some of the steps in AA

Step 1:
We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.

Step 2: Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

Step 3: Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

Step 6: Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

Step 7: Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

Step 11: Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

Step 12: Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

The point is, we addicts are powerless over our addictions. I've been abusing drugs since I was 12. All this time I thought I could stay sober through willpower. I would ask God to keep me sober, but my heart was hardened and was constantly hating or resenting God, blaspheming, bossing God around, and mocking him. We reap what we sow.

I had the nerve to think God would hear my prayers and provide grace while I was so seriously living in unrepentant sin. The AA steps are very clear that God keeps us sober. It was extremely foolish to think I could spit in God's face and somehow receive grace from him. My sins cut me off from the grace of God, so it is no wonder I couldn't stay sober. I did manage to stay sober from Feb 14 till July 29, and sober from August 2 till November 24. I know I can do this, but only through the grace of God.

Your prayers or feedback are appreciated. God bless you!

Spiderman

Veteran Member

Step seven places emphasis on the word "Humbly". I was far from humble and thinking I could do a better job than God if he would only give those supernatural graces and miracle working powers. That is the epitome of pride and narcissism to think God sucks, God is cruel, I'm more compassionate than God, and I could do better if he just gave me his powers. Without humility, he won't listen to prayers. It's great to finally realize this. It's been years of being blind to this serious fault.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I do feel for you and others who suffer from addiction. It's not simple giving things up. In light of this though, is a comment I made earlier in another thread about my drive to quit smoking. I'm fully conscious of the fact that not a lot of people get such a clear message from the object of their addiction that I did. I clearly see that the cigarettes are/were making me feel horrible and sick. I can't quite see myself trying to get around that realization and lighting up again. I'm slow, but I'm not stupid. :)

All I can do, @PopeADope is implore folks not to give up. The goal is worth it and you are most worthy.

(It's day 26 for me today and I feel GREAT!)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Different strokes for different folks. In my childhood, a few guys in my home town rotated from 'bible thumpers' to heroin addicts. It seemed an odd mix, yet we never knew which guy was inside that physical body. One did die of an overdose. I don't know how others fared.

But yes, quitting harmful activities is a worth cause as Ymir says, regardless of how you do it.

@Ymir .. day 26 ... when you lose track of the days maybe it'll be over, and you can claim success. Still I recall the date I first quit ... March 24, 1980. Woke up coughing blood, and threw the pack of Drum tobacco into the bushes, never to retrieve it. Almost 20 years before I started again. Then quit again. This time it's been 7 or 8 or 10 years, I really can't remember.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Different strokes for different folks. In my childhood, a few guys in my home town rotated from 'bible thumpers' to heroin addicts. It seemed an odd mix, yet we never knew which guy was inside that physical body. One did die of an overdose. I don't know how others fared.

But yes, quitting harmful activities is a worth cause as Ymir says, regardless of how you do it.

@Ymir .. day 26 ... when you lose track of the days maybe it'll be over, and you can claim success. Still I recall the date I first quit ... March 24, 1980. Woke up coughing blood, and threw the pack of Drum tobacco into the bushes, never to retrieve it. Almost 20 years before I started again. Then quit again. This time it's been 7 or 8 or 10 years, I really can't remember.
I hear ya. Trust me. I have 6 more patches sitting on the kitchen table and after they are gone the fat lady is gonna sing as now I will miss the nicotine. I don't think it is going to be too bad.... *laughs nervously*

Trackdayguy

Speed doesn't kill, it's hitting the wall
God doesn't reject people or cast them out because they sin. That's what religion has taught you.

InChrist

Free4ever
I realize that I am powerless over drugs and alcohol addiction. I was not relying on God to keep me sober. Here are some of the steps in AA

Step 1:
We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.

Step 2: Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

Step 3: Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

Step 11: Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

Step 12: Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

The point is, we addicts are powerless over our addictions. I've been abusing drugs since I was 12. All this time I thought I could stay sober through willpower. I would ask God to keep me sober, but my heart was hardened and was constantly hating or resenting God, blaspheming, bossing God around, and mocking him. We reap what we sow.

I had the nerve to think God would hear my prayers and provide grace while I was so seriously living in unrepentant sin. The AA steps are very clear that God keeps us sober. It was extremely foolish to think I could spit in God's face and somehow receive grace from him. My sins cut me off from the grace of God, so it is no wonder I couldn't stay sober. I did manage to stay sober from Feb 14 till July 29, and sober from August 2 till November 24. I know I can do this, but only through the grace of God.

I have been praying for you. I noticed you were absence and was concerned. I will admit I thought you may have died. I'm relieved that is not the case.
It seems most of us must learn lessons the hard way, especially the reality of our own frailty and limited ability, our dependence upon God to even take the next breath. Praying your mind will stay clear and your heart soft toward God's love for you and the grace He desires to pour into your life and I believe has already shown probably in more ways than you realize.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

Step 1:

Its great to hear you are still around.

I agree that having God in our lives can be essential for some of us. To have God in our lives means having genuine love and respect for God and His chosen Messengers whoever we believe Them to be. Finding peace with God with be an enormous assistance to you IMHO. All the best with that.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I suppose atheists with addictions are out of luck?

Fortunately for me the things I'm addicted to are not terribly detrimental.

My son smokes, stopped for three months which I was very happy about. Had a bad day and decided it'd be ok to smoke one pack, hasn't stopped smoking since. I've known ex-alcoholics who tell me they are always one drink away from being an alcoholic again.

Non-religiously I see it, it's your 5% conscious mind fighting against the other 95% subconscious mind. While it is a constant conscious struggle to resist your subconscious mind your subconscious is just waiting for one slip in conscious control to take over again.

I was wondering how a Buddhist might go about this...

The most noted effect of this herbal drink is the fact that it causes projectile vomiting. We had to take it as part of a group, with a crowd of onlookers offering us their support by singing temple songs. It was surreal to say the least.

The medicine was administered by a monk as we knelt in front of him. This supplication was not so much out of respect for the monk, but rather so that we could more easily vomit into the gutter — you don’t get much warning. As soon as I drank the medicine, I had to start scooping water, drinking it as fast as I could to speed up the vomiting.

There is no doubt in my mind that this medicine does indeed speed up withdrawal symptoms. I went through treatment with people coming off heroin and even methadone, and they all claimed that their withdrawal symptoms passed quicker than usual.

For me, though, the most important element of the medicine is that it teaches humility. Addicts can be unreasonably arrogant. I ended up homeless and still looked down on everyone else.

When you are vomiting into a gutter in a Thai temple, it is impossible to lie to yourself anymore; nobody ends up doing such a thing unless they have messed up badly. So the medicine makes addicts teachable.
Extreme Detox: How Buddhist monks led me to humility and freedom from alcohol addiction

I can't imagine the scene, people standing around you singing hymns while you are on your knees throwing up your guts out.

Like your 12 steps, humility seems key.

Humility is a vital part of recovering from addiction. Here is how Webster defines humility: “The quality or state of not thinking you are better than other people; the quality or state of being humble.”

Author and historian John Dickson called it, "The noble choice to forgo your status, deploy your resources or use your influence for the good of others before yourself.”

How does this apply to recovery? Those under the spell of addiction must surrender and accept they are powerless over their addiction. This surrender is both emotional and intellectual in nature. The power of addiction is unrelenting. The surrender process is a major form of humility.

Humility is also a willingness to learn and to be open-minded. This characteristic is so important for those dealing with addiction because it is a matter of life or death that they gain the tools and understanding needed to progress. Addiction is an illness that doesn’t want you to expose it or deal with it. Addiction’s main symptoms are denial and isolation. The humility of learning and helping others is one of the main reasons people enjoy sobriety and recovery though the Twelve Steps.

Typically, only severe consequences lead to humility. The consequences of addiction help lead us to humility. It gives us a sense of wonder and creates a lack of drama that is needed for those who battle addiction.

Why is humility important for someone recovering from addiction? | Substance Abuse and Addiction

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
keep going @YmirGF and @PopeADope !

I'm fortunate to have been born with resistance to addiction. But I've seen first hand how hard it is to battle. You guys are rocking it!

Jumi

Keep yourself busy, learn to play some instrument, read a book, study something (for free on the internet is an option these days).

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I do feel for you and others who suffer from addiction. It's not simple giving things up. In light of this though, is a comment I made earlier in another thread about my drive to quit smoking. I'm fully conscious of the fact that not a lot of people get such a clear message from the object of their addiction that I did. I clearly see that the cigarettes are/were making me feel horrible and sick. I can't quite see myself trying to get around that realization and lighting up again. I'm slow, but I'm not stupid. :)

All I can do, @PopeADope is implore folks not to give up. The goal is worth it and you are most worthy.

(It's day 26 for me today and I feel GREAT!)
I quit smoking as well. It's too expensive. My insurance covers the cost of Nicorette gum, and I really chew it a lot.

Have you tried the gum? Your insurance might cover it. Good job making it 26 days.:thumbsup:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I quit smoking as well. It's too expensive. My insurance covers the cost of Nicorette gum, and I really chew it a lot.

Have you tried the gum? Your insurance might cover it. Good job making it 26 days.:thumbsup:
I'm hoping to bypass the gum altogether but have had a few people mention it as being pretty good. The cost isn't an issue. Thanks for the encouragement. I wish you well on your issues.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I had the nerve to think God would hear my prayers and provide grace while I was so seriously living in unrepentant sin....... It was extremely foolish to think I could spit in God's face and somehow receive grace from him. My sins cut me off from the grace of God, so it is no wonder I couldn't stay sober.

That's great you realized this, @PopeADope !

I mean, if you thInk about it, would you help someone who was nice to your face, but when with others, talked bad about you?
You wouldn't consider them a friend, would you? Same with Jehovah and Jesus. Jesus said @ John 15:14, "You are my friends if you do what I tell you."

And regarding Jehovah God: First, "draw close to God, and He will draw close to you." -- James 4:8

That's why those staying skeptics will never understand God, or the Scriptures.

I did manage to stay sober from Feb 14 till July 29, and sober from August 2 till November 24. I know I can do this, but only through the grace of God.
Good for you! Hang around others only who have the same goals and fortitude as you!
And pray...Philippians 4:6-7.
Isaiah 48:17-18...notice, He wants to help us.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Although I have a picture of her on my wall, I do not pay homage to the sun goddess. She is a powerful spirit I think, but I don't know whose side she is on.

I pray to the soldiers of Yasukuni Shrine and venerate the Imperial spirits and pray for Japan (the land of the Kami).