• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One god or twenty gods. Does it matter

Lain

One god or twenty gods. Does it really matter which god a person picks?
If so, why?

Depends on how one is defining the word "god" there. Under certain definitions there can only be one of that being, under other definitions they can be many, an indefinite amount of them. So whether or not it matters depends on that.

We Never Know

No Slack
Depends on how one is defining the word "god" there. Under certain definitions there can only be one of that being, under other definitions they can be many, an indefinite amount of them. So whether or not it matters depends on that.

How do you know your god is the right one?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think it matters.

In Hinduism, there is what is called the Ishta Devata, and its basically the form of God a person chooses to worship. This doesn't negate the other forms, it just means the worshipper has chosen this particular form as their own.

And then there are polytheists, who worship multiple forms. That's okay, too. Personally, I worship many forms. I find the beauty in the way God/dess has diversely presented itself to be infinitely beautiful.

King Phenomenon

The only thing I know worthy of the name God is infinite space. And it’s real so that’s a plus. Haha. Sprinkle a little love, you’re good to go.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If so, why?

It doesn't matter and it doesn't matter if a person does not believe in God or gods. Many have superficial beliefs that don't make any difference in their thoughts or deeds. Repeating words with no meaning has no meaning.

What matters is action - what a person does.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If so, why?
As long one only follow one at the time, it would not be a problem if it existed more than one God :) this is seen from a "monothetic view of course, many asian religions follow and believe in multiple Gods, godesses, devas and so on.

muhammad_isa

Does it really matter which god a person picks?
If so, why?

Yes. The most important thing is the sincerity of our intentions.
i.e. the reasons WHY we choose what we do

For example, are we choosing something because we enjoy it, or can see that it gives us an advantage?
..or is it because we are acknowledging what appears to be "the truth" of why we exist..

Nimos

If so, why?
If ones view on gods or religion is to just go with whatever, I don't really think such person is particularly interested or take the stuff very seriously, and seem to be more a matter of believing and finding comfort in that, rather than making an argument for what they truly believe is true.

So in that case, I would say that such person could choose whatever they want and it wouldn't matter.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think it matters.

In Hinduism, there is what is called the Ishta Devata, and its basically the form of God a person chooses to worship. This doesn't negate the other forms, it just means the worshipper has chosen this particular form as their own.

And then there are polytheists, who worship multiple forms. That's okay, too. Personally, I worship many forms. I find the beauty in the way God/dess has diversely presented itself to be infinitely beautiful.

Yep, what she said. :)

I’m a Jarlsberg polytheist... semi-firm. Not a hard polytheist like in Heathenry or Paganism, but not entirely fluid or soft. They are all one God but can and do exist individually and simultaneously.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Excluding Hinduism there have been around 4200 gods believed in, approximately 3800 of them were one gods who created the universe and all in it. How that works i have no idea

Lain

How do you know your god is the right one?

Which definition is being asked about in this question? If the Supreme Source of All (to shorten the many titles that could be used), it is by definition singular and so I am not sure how any who acknowledge Him can be "wrong" in that (not only those of the Faith but also others, which is why it is said by the Church that they truly worship Him), if any of the lesser definitions there are probably trillions of them and more.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If so, why?

Do we pick our God/gods?
Or do our gods pick us?

I've heard some say this god or god god called to them. I also expect it is more a matter of the circumstances one finds themselves in.

The main reason I decided to be atheist is because the gods we "pick" seemed more a matter of circumstances than divine intervention.

If so, why?

In polytheistic belief systems you might have favoured gods according to your profession, character, etc.

The one you choose may well matter (even if said god doesn't actually exist, the psychological benefits may be different).

Also choosing a monotheistic god may be different too as it could lead you to believe there is an order and rationality in the universe, whereas a polytheist may believe the world is more capricious and chaotic.

Having competing sources of power in the world is philosophically different from a single omnipotent power sources.

If so, why?

Some kept for example a golden calf as their god. A golden calf has nothing to say, nothing to offer, similarly as 99,9...% of other gods. I wouldn't chose a god that knows nothing and doesn't have anything good to say. If i could do that, I could as well keep my table as my god, which is utterly silly.