• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old Woman Sick With Covid Evicted From Home to Pay Off Bills

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
It blows my mind that some states are still on lockdown.

Something that could have been avoided if more governors and people took proper measures to contain the virus. As long as there are a sizeable number of adult-children stamping their feet not to wear masks and governors reopening bars too early and downplaying the need for precautions, then you'll continue to see lockdowns.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If we could keep everybody sustained with government deficit spending indefinitely then there wouldn't be any such thing as poverty but it isn't that easy.

You speak of deficits as if you are unfamiliar with modern monetary theory.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
So why is every other country still in precarious and unpredictable waters too?

To the same extent as the U.S.? Because those similarly messed up their response. Brazil is a major example.

Now look at New Zealand and Germany and compare their situation to that of the U.S. It's not even close.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
In my experience, tenants who get far behind in rent
will never catch up. It's important to start action before
they get several months behind.
Anyone who things that's harsh is welcome to lend them
the rent money.

Your post reminds me that it's fairly easy to teach someone their legal rights (e.g., a landlord's right to evict someone) but far harder to teach them empathy.

If you think that's an unfair assessment, be my guest to say why.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Your post reminds me that you can teach someone their legal rights (e.g., a landlord's right to evict someone), but it's far harder to teach them empathy.

If you think that's an unfair assessment, be my guest to say why.
Empathy often inspires people to expect charity from others,
but they wouldn't extend it themselves to the person in need.

How's my assessment?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
You speak of deficits as if you are unfamiliar with modern monetary theory.
Umm.... my point was we can't eliminate poverty by just printing more money and handing it to everyone. Boy, what an easy fix for all the poverty in the world if that were the case.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
To the same extent as the U.S.? Because those similarly messed up their response. Brazil is a major example.

Now look at New Zealand and Germany and compare their situation to that of the U.S. It's not even close.
Please, the U.S. is not in any dire straits compared to the rest of the world.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
What is waiting in the wings will have a far greater effect than Covid19. on peoples lives
And has probably escaped many peoples notice.

That is, Trumps systematic crippling of the World Trade Organisation.
Trump Cripples W.T.O. as Trade War Rages
It was founded after WW2 largely by the inspiration of the USA.
To day it is the foundation of virtually all international trade agreements.
Trump is not content with destroying the ability of the WTO function at the world level, but has started trade wars with all the USA's largest trade partners.
This is totally destabilising world trade and making a mockery of every trade agreement between the USA and every other country.
It will be many years before other countries will feel able to trust America again. Where ever possible they will focus their trade elsewhere. This will have a devastating effect on American markets and finances.

In one respect the divorce between the USA and other large world economies will force them to become more self sufficient, and massively increase their reliance on their own and other similar national efforts, to develop technical and agricultural replacements. We can expect to see trade between the USA and the rest of the world to progressively diminish over the next few years. We may even see the rest of the world moving away from respecting American intellectual property rights, where they conflict with national interests. ( as was the case between protagonists during the two world wars)

America will find that "Taking their bat and ball home" in pique, will be to their own detriment, and that the rest of the world will largely ignore them. But will be happy to attend any fire sales that result.

Rational Agnostic

Something that could have been avoided if more governors and people took proper measures to contain the virus. As long as there are a sizeable number of adult-children stamping their feet not to wear masks and governors reopening bars too early and downplaying the need for precautions, then you'll continue to see lockdowns.

You're probably right. A lockdown only works if people comply. Which is the very reason that lockdowns don't work in most places.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You're probably right. A lockdown only works if people comply. Which is the very reason that lockdowns don't work in most places.
I say that lockdowns also don't work because of the terrible
economic consequences. I prefer that safe standards of
behavior be imposed...balance economic failure against
more deaths.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Umm.... my point was we can't eliminate poverty by just printing more money and handing it to everyone. Boy, what an easy fix for all the poverty in the world if that were the case.

How is your point logically relevant to the OP? Did you watch the video? The woman's eviction had nothing to do with poverty.

Beyond that, you are only half-right about printing money. A government can pump considerable sums of deficit money into an economy without much risk of inflation, hyper-inflation, rising interest rates, etc. up to a certain point. For instance, the US deficit stimulus package of 2008 had no negative effects on the economy, and could have (and should have) actually been much larger. The fact that it was relatively modest -- well under a trillion dollars -- was the primary reason the recovery from the Great Recession was so sluggish. The key is to cease deficit spending at the right time -- before you risk inflation, etc. That usually coincides with full employment. To rack up deficit spending when you have full employment is madness.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Empathy often inspires people to expect charity from others,
but they wouldn't extend it themselves to the person in need.

How's my assessment?

It's too generalized. While it applies to some people, many others do extend charity to those in need due to empathy. Trying to dismiss those seems self-serving at best.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's too generalized. While it applies to some people, many others do extend charity to those in need due to empathy. Trying to dismiss those seems self-serving at best.
I am always self serving.
When I extend charity, it's solely because I want to.
But not everyone in need benefits. Some are outside my
area of experience or notice. Others are undeserving.

Beware critics admonishing landlords for denying charity
to tenants in difficulty. It's a burden these critics typically
don't assume themselves. It's very conveniently only the
landlord's responsibility.