• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old Testament versus New Testament

First Baseman

Retired athlete
God recite to Moshe ﷺ the Torah letter by letter directly.
Scriptures were inspired by God, but not given by Him. The same goes with the whole New Testament.
And Quran which was given to Muhammad ﷺ was given by God.

St. Paul says otherwise. Try 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Demonslayer

It's been a long time, God should put out a New New Testament where he reveals that human slavery is actually immoral and gay people are A-OK. I mean this God fella is worse than George R.R. Martin when it comes to dragging his feet on releasing his next book.

Akivah

In particular, " Eye for an eye " versus " Forgive your enemies "

You can't really compare them verse by verse.
The so-called "Old Testament" is a book describing how we can elevate ourselves to become more holy.
The so-called "New Testament" is a book teaching idol worship and paganism.

Demonslayer

The so-called "Old Testament" is a book describing how we can elevate ourselves to become more holy.

By beating slaves, stoning adulterers and selling your daughter to gangs of rapists?

I'm no fan of the New Testament either, but damn, the morality in the OT is just barbaric.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
You can't really compare them verse by verse.
The so-called "New Testament" is a book teaching idol worship and paganism.

How are you going to elevate yourself?

Brian Schuh

God's law to Israel meant that justice demands equivalency.....not so much literally as I don't think I have read anywhere in the OT that God's people had their eyes put out or their teeth removed as punishment, but it was a principle that meant that the punishment should fit the crime. For example, when men were involved in a fight and a pregnant woman struck in the process so that she miscarried her baby and it died, the person who caused the child's death was then sentenced to death...a life for a life. (Ex 21:22-25)

Jesus' teaching about 'loving our enemies' is not just forgiving them but not raising a hand in retaliation. We are to "return evil for evil to no one". (Rom 12:17-21)

An "eye for an eye" was part of the law God gave to Israel, which is no longer binding on Christ's followers. Jesus fulfilled it and took it out of the way with his sacrifice. (Col 2:13, 14)
We are now under the 'Law of love', which means that we are to love God with all we have, and to love our neighbor as ourselves. (Matt 22:35-39)
That's ridiculous. Lex Talionus is the foundation of our criminal justice system. If your Jesus freed you from the law, why do we have prisons? Lex Talionus means the laws of retaliation, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. Are Christians free to murder, rape and Rob? And please don't tell me you keep the Ten Commandments, most Christians don't keep the Sabbath. If I was a Roman Catholic, maybe I could buy some indulgences to do whatever, then I could eat a cracker and sip wine and be forgiven. Come on, you got to be joking.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
@Brian Schuh....That is a response to misreading everything I said. Please allow me to clarify....

Lex Talionus is the foundation of our criminal justice system. If your Jesus freed you from the law, why do we have prisons?

It might interest you to know that there were no actual prisons in Israel. The law was about justice, compensation, and rehabilitation, not just punishment.

Someone found guilty of a capital offense was put to death, which meant that they would never re-offend. Knowing the law before you commit the crime means that justice demands its stated penalty.

Those guilty of lesser offenses had to work to compensate their victim many times over, which was a deterrent to future offenses and didn't leave the victim out of pocket. The present justice system is a far cry from what God instituted in Israel. Imagine if the perpetrator actually had to compensate their victims instead of being given accommodation and meals at their further expense. Israel's justice system was very fair.

The punishment was always in keeping with the severity of the crime. When Jesus came he did not cancel the law, but "fulfilled it", meaning that when he introduced "the law of love" (to love God with our whole heart and to love our neighbor as ourselves) it was impossible to break that law without breaking the old law. This did not pertain to ceremonial law or dietary laws, but to the things basically mentioned in the 10 Commandments....false worship, idolatry, adultery, murder, theft, covetousness, etc. The law of love precluded those offenses.

Lex Talionus means the laws of retaliation, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. Are Christians free to murder, rape and Rob? And please don't tell me you keep the Ten Commandments, most Christians don't keep the Sabbath.

Christians are supposed to follow the example set by Jesus.....how many "Christians" actually do that? What we are not free to do, is obey only the convenient laws and disregard the things we find difficult. If you are going to call yourself a Christian, you better know that it requires you to keep ALL of Jesus' commands. He will accept no excuses. (Matt 7:21-23)

For Christians, there was no requirement to keep a Sabbath. This was for Jews and they were still free to observe it if they wished, but it was not required for Gentile Christians to keep Jewish law. They did not need to be circumcised, observe Jewish festivals, or to refrain from eating "unclean" foods. The "necessary" requirements were set out by the governing body in Jerusalem. (Acts 15:28, 29)

If I was a Roman Catholic, maybe I could buy some indulgences to do whatever, then I could eat a cracker and sip wine and be forgiven. Come on, you got to be joking.

I don't believe that Christendom represents true Christianity in any way.....so I might have to agree with you somewhat on this point.

midopafo

What is the comparison? "An eye for an eye" is a judicial concept. "Forgive your enemies" is a personal one. They don't relate.

Right on ! Finally someone saw it.

However it was forgiveness of enemies, even to those who would give us death that was absolutely necessary to our own forgiveness and salvation. Perhaps we who repent should ask the same of those we forgive ? And if they don't repent ? Are we still obligated ? I think not, nor will I forgive unrepentant enemies ? Let the fires of justice consume them.

And I do not believe for one second that God differs from His Law of Justice, the punishments are there as spelled out. It is also personal with Him to forgive a repentant heart.

Last edited:

Tumah

Veteran Member
Right on ! Finally someone saw it.

However it was forgiveness of enemies, even to those who would give us death that was absolutely necessary to our own forgiveness and salvation. Perhaps we who repent should ask the same of those we forgive ? And if they don't repent ?
You seem to be making a Christian theological view, into a statement of fact. I'm not sure why. But since it doesn't relate to Judaism, I'll just leave it for other Christians to deal with.

midopafo

You seem to be making a Christian theological view, into a statement of fact. I'm not sure why. But since it doesn't relate to Judaism, I'll just leave it for other Christians to deal with.

Not sure why ? Perhaps Judaism and Christianity are from the one and same God .

midopafo

Well I will take the position that the continuity between the what we think of as the Old and New was maintained by the Blessed Virgin Mary with Her multitude of Angels, and all the static given to humanity to undermine the continuity of God to us, is, ...... ?

Tumah

Veteran Member
Well I will take the position that the continuity between the what we think of as the Old and New was maintained by the Blessed Virgin Mary with Her multitude of Angels, and all the static given to humanity to undermine the continuity of God to us, is, ...... ?
You forgot to attach a question to your question mark. But anyway, yes, you're misleading label aside, I'm aware that Christians see the NT as a continuity of the Tanach.

whirlingmerc

I think they are in agreement, but the New Testment fulfills and intensifies
Both love of god and wrath of God are ratcheted up in the New Testament as DA Carson points out

I see the Old Testament as the shadow of the one coming and Jesus the one casting the shadow