• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OKay, let's dial it back.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Let's dial it back on making it all about 1 TV show being cancelled.
It's rather peripheral to the OP.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
So COPS is getting cancelled, and apparently positive and wholesome depictions of cops are being criticized in cartoons, and supposedly networks are bending to pressure. Why? How does this help? Pretending that all cops are bad is just as toxic as pretending all protestors and activists are looters and vandals. It's petty, vindictive, and dishonest and solves nothing. It's the same mentality that has people labeling all conservatives racist fascists and liberals PC/SJW commies. It's same mentality that causes these problems in the first place. No nuances nor shades of gray. Everything is black or white and 2 dimensional. Your "side" isn't super heroes who are pure good, and the "other side" aren't super villains who are pure evil. Everyone needs to stop slurping boots.
Cops have had a pretty good run as far as mandatory lionisation and fetishisation goes. Not all cops and all that, sure, but we see in these very forums from the resident bootlickers the insidious effects on the entrenched, internalised propaganda about cops. If all your life every depiction you see of cops is positive, from the objective, rational paragons of Law and Order to the friendly smiling Lego policemen, it becomes very, very difficult to understand or believe people when they try to tell you "well actually, there's a whole bunch of problems with the police that need to be addressed". And God help you when yo only have positive perceptions of the police, and try to talk to them like a respectful adult expecting the same in return when they've got their rage on; see the guy in Buffalo knocked to the ground and trampled by a string of cops after trying to hand one a helmet.

And I say this as a long time consumer of cop procedurals and movies. But it's worth remembering that there are a LOT of people who can't tell the difference between TV and reality.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Cops have had a pretty good run as far as mandatory lionisation and fetishisation goes. Not all cops and all that, sure, but we see in these very forums from the resident bootlickers the insidious effects on the entrenched, internalised propaganda about cops. If all your life every depiction you see of cops is positive, from the objective, rational paragons of Law and Order to the friendly smiling Lego policemen, it becomes very, very difficult to understand or believe people when they try to tell you "well actually, there's a whole bunch of problems with the police that need to be addressed". And God help you when yo only have positive perceptions of the police, and try to talk to them like a respectful adult expecting the same in return when they've got their rage on; see the guy in Buffalo knocked to the ground and trampled by a string of cops after trying to hand one a helmet.

And I say this as a long time consumer of cop procedurals and movies. But it's worth remembering that there are a LOT of people who can't tell the difference between TV and reality.

Point taken.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So I haven't missed much over the past 25 years or so?
Malcolm in the Middle, Boondocks, and really just a few others have been worth checking out since then.
"Just a few others"?
Nah, it's the golden age. In addition to your 2....
The Wire, Deadwood, Robot Chicken, The Simpsons, Treme, Luck, Boardwalk Empire,
The Shield, The Good Place, The Expanse, Game Of Thrones, The Venture Brothers,
Westworld, Downton Abbey, Planet Earth, Breaking Bad, Chernobyl, Cosmos, Nova,
The Office (Ricky Gervais version), Life's Too Short, Extras, Stranger Things, Rome,
Arrested Development, House Of Cards (both USA & Brit versions), Better Call Saul,
The Marvelous Mrs Maisel, The Boys, Dexter, Archer, Justified, Mr Robot, The Critic,
Samurai Jack, Counterpart, Family Guy, Bojack Horseman, The Walking Dead, 24,
Moral Orel, Homeland, Fargo, The Americans, Orange Is The New Black, 30 Rock,
The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt,
& I'm sure others I just can't think of at the moment.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
"Just a few others"?
Nah, it's the golden age. In addition to your 2....
The Wire, Deadwood, Robot Chicken, The Simpsons, Treme, Luck, Boardwalk Empire,
The Shield, The Good Place, The Expanse, Game Of Thrones, The Venture Brothers,
Westworld, Downton Abbey, Planet Earth, Breaking Bad, Chernobyl, Cosmos, Nova,
The Office (Ricky Gervais version), Life's Too Short, Extras, Stranger Things, Rome,
Arrested Development, House Of Cards (both USA & Brit versions), Better Call Saul,
The Marvelous Mrs Maisel, The Boys, Dexter, Archer, Justified, Mr Robot, The Critic,
Samurai Jack, Counterpart, Family Guy, Bojack Horseman, The Walking Dead, 24,
Moral Orel, Homeland, Fargo, The Americans, Orange Is The New Black, 30 Rock,
The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt,
& I'm sure others I just can't think of at the moment.
At least a few of those are 90s or earlier, and thus outside of those "few others." (And speak for yourself. Dexter is over rated and not that good. The Walking Dead was good for one season. Breaking Bad is impossible to get into because I only see Hal having finally lost it. Amd ive not watched most of those)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
At least a few of those are 90s or earlier, and thus outside of those "few others." (And speak for yourself. Dexter is over rated and not that good. The Walking Dead was good for one season. Breaking Bad is impossible to get into because I only see Hal having finally lost it. Amd ive not watched most of those)
You just don't appreciate greatness.
But I'm a sophisticate.

Tambourine

Let's dial it back on making it all about 1 TV show being cancelled.
It's rather peripheral to the OP.
It does not seem peripheral to the OP from where I'm standing, as it was apparently the inciting incident that got the author to write that OP in the first place.

I don't think television series are sacrosanct, nor are they ever non-political. I find it perfectly reasonable to remove content that is no longer seen as socially acceptable, especially when we're talking about children's TV series. This is being done all the time, and very few people seem to raise a stink over, for example, the removal of sexual relationships in young adult cartoons, censorship references to drugs, alcohol or tobacco, or the censoring of displays of nudity that US television is infamous for outside of North America.

What do you think is actually lost here?

In the same vein, I find it strange how closely American movie studios are working with the US military to produce what is, essentially, pro-military propaganda, which is something few to no Americans I have ever met online find disturbing in the least.

From an outsider's perspective, I find it staggering how soaked American media is in certain types of blatantly political propaganda that most Americans either don't notice or don't really find troubling at all.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It does not seem peripheral to the OP from where I'm standing, as it was apparently the inciting incident that got the author to write that OP in the first place.

I don't think television series are sacrosanct, nor are they ever non-political. I find it perfectly reasonable to remove content that is no longer seen as socially acceptable, especially when we're talking about children's TV series. This is being done all the time, and very few people seem to raise a stink over, for example, the removal of sexual relationships in young adult cartoons, censorship references to drugs, alcohol or tobacco, or the censoring of displays of nudity that US television is infamous for outside of North America.

What do you think is actually lost here?

In the same vein, I find it strange how closely American movie studios are working with the US military to produce what is, essentially, pro-military propaganda, which is something few to no Americans I have ever met online find disturbing in the least.

From an outsider's perspective, I find it staggering how soaked American media is in certain types of blatantly political propaganda that most Americans either don't notice or don't really find troubling at all.
I don't see any real loss here either.
Note that I posted info about the cop shows doing wrong.
I only cautioned about the whole becoming about this.

I've been really mis-communicating lately.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, it was one of the more progressive shows of its time, and it was cancelled. Nowadays, shows are being cancelled for not being progressive enough.
Also....
Star Trek evolved to become more progressive, eg, female captains,
ditching the mini skirts, captains being less promiscuous.