• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OKay, let's dial it back.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
So COPS is getting cancelled, and apparently positive and wholesome depictions of cops are being criticized in cartoons, and supposedly networks are bending to pressure. Why? How does this help? Pretending that all cops are bad is just as toxic as pretending all protestors and activists are looters and vandals. It's petty, vindictive, and dishonest and solves nothing. It's the same mentality that has people labeling all conservatives racist fascists and liberals PC/SJW commies. It's same mentality that causes these problems in the first place. No nuances nor shades of gray. Everything is black or white and 2 dimensional. Your "side" isn't super heroes who are pure good, and the "other side" aren't super villains who are pure evil. Everyone needs to stop slurping boots.
I never cared for reality shows that do nothing but lionize the police. Good riddance to COPS and live PD among others.

I do make exceptions though, like shows such as Detective Kenda that tells of his experiences during his tenure as a police detective.

I find those much more interesting and engaging then watching incoherent minorities waddle through a breathalyzer test running around screaming about **** and then getting tased and cuffed while they pull drugs out of their baggy pants.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Also....
Star Trek evolved to become more progressive, eg, female captains,
ditching the mini skirts, captains being less promiscuous.

Plus they eliminated poverty, hunger, and money by the time of TNG. In TOS, they still used Quatloos.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Gold pressed latinum is in the era of TNG & DS9.

Only outside of the Federation.

But then there's the Federation's 40% cut from all the profits on Sigma Iotia 2. That's probably how they secretly finance Section 31.

What's the exchange rate of Quatloos to gold-pressed Latinum?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Only outside of the Federation.

But then there's the Federation's 40% cut from all the profits on Sigma Iotia 2. That's probably how they secretly finance Section 31.

What's the exchange rate of Quatloos to gold-pressed Latinum?
I can't nerdulate to that extent.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But extended well into the next milenium
So if one claims not much to watch since the 90s, I offered a basis for disagreement.
Some millennial wanker told me the Simpson's is an "old people show." That opinion is irrelevant, but Eurythmics and Tears for Fears are 80s groups. Not 90s or after that, even though they kept making music.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Nah. Your list neglected X Files.

Personally, that's one I've always thought was overrated. It's easy to get away with lazy writing when everything is a cryptic mystery. You can pull random stuff out of your ***, and it doesn't have to make sense because it's a secret that doesn't get revealed, allowing the viewers imagination to fill in your loop holes and missing details, etc. I know this opinion won't be a popular one, but there it is.

Curious George

Veteran Member
So COPS is getting cancelled, and apparently positive and wholesome depictions of cops are being criticized in cartoons, and supposedly networks are bending to pressure. Why? How does this help? Pretending that all cops are bad is just as toxic as pretending all protestors and activists are looters and vandals. It's petty, vindictive, and dishonest and solves nothing. It's the same mentality that has people labeling all conservatives racist fascists and liberals PC/SJW commies. It's same mentality that causes these problems in the first place. No nuances nor shades of gray. Everything is black or white and 2 dimensional. Your "side" isn't super heroes who are pure good, and the "other side" aren't super villains who are pure evil. Everyone needs to stop slurping boots.
Or we could turn it up a notch. No one is pretending all cops are bad. Instead the reality that our police system is so dysfunctional some are questioning even more benign methods of propaganda. You can keep your paw patrol if you like, I won't fight you on that, but i certainly won't stand in the way of those who choose to fight you on that.

TV shows matter little to me, but i am happy to let others who employ critical thinking challenge the propaganda from which many suckle.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It does not seem peripheral to the OP from where I'm standing, as it was apparently the inciting incident that got the author to write that OP in the first place.

I don't understand how people are struggling with this, but It's not about the damned shows themselves. I didn't even watch the aforementioned series. I was using them as an example of "cancel culture" that vindictively targets police in general rather than specifically the bad eggs among them, and how such an approach is counter-productive. Rather than alienating honest, well meaning cops, we should encourage them to speak out and stand up against the abuse and misdeeds that occur among their ranks. The OP also pointed out examples of this mentality that not only had nothing to do with the damned shows, but not even law enforcement. I.E. the whole cultural/political divide in America that sees no nuances or middle ground; all conservatives are fascists and all liberals are communists nonsense; where everything is a ridiculous stereotype or straw man.

However, since I posted the OP some have made good points that they're biased and gloss over the grey areas, which contributes to the cops-can-do-no-wrong mentality that many Americans have, which contributes to unchecked corruption, misconduct, incompetence, etc.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Or we could turn it up a notch. No one is pretending all cops are bad. Instead the reality that our police system is so dysfunctional some are questioning even more benign methods of propaganda. You can keep your paw patrol if you like, I won't fight you on that, but i certainly won't stand in the way of those who choose to fight you on that.

TV shows matter little to me, but i am happy to let others who employ critical thinking challenge the propaganda from which many suckle.

99% of TV is inaccurate, reality skewing garbage. :shrug:

I don't give a damn about the shows, either. But going after cartoon police dog for little kids "to fight propaganda" seems like more like an petty knee-jerk reaction rather than a rational, constructive move.
Of course there is a huge problem and of course people are right to be outraged, but how people respond needs to be reasonable and rational. Like I said, let's not perform surgery with a chainsaw.

Tambourine

I don't understand how people are struggling with this, but It's not about the damned shows themselves. I didn't even watch the aforementioned series. I was using them as an example of "cancel culture" that vindictively targets police in general rather than specifically the bad eggs among them, and how such an approach is counter-productive. Rather than alienating honest, well meaning cops, we should encourage them to speak out and stand up against the abuse and misdeeds that occur among their ranks. The OP also pointed out examples of this mentality that not only had nothing to do with the damned shows, but not even law enforcement. I.E. the whole cultural/political divide in America that sees no nuances or middle ground; all conservatives are fascists and all liberals are communists nonsense; where everything is a ridiculous stereotype or straw man. [...]
Who is being alienated by alterations made to TV shows or kids' cartoons? Is it you, or any real existing people you know? Have you heard of people feeling alienated by a cop show on TV getting cancelled?

And yet, a remarkable number of people are more likely to believe what they see on TV, than what they get told by another person.

Curious George

Veteran Member

I don't give a damn about the shows, either. But going after cartoon police dog for little kids "to fight propaganda" seems like more like an petty knee-jerk reaction rather than a rational, constructive move.
Of course there is a huge problem and of course people are right to be outraged, but how people respond needs to be reasonable and rational. Like I said, let's not perform surgery with a chainsaw.
I said to "challenge propganda." Isn't there some level of irony in you taking a more extreme version of that?

You want nuance but you want to lump all criticism into a pot and call it extreme. You want to paint these challenges as black and white while insisting that the exact problem is the black-and-white-ness of the challenge.

You say knee-jerk reaction and i am saying your reaction is knee-jerk. You think back quickly to watching cops or some cartoon portrayals of cops and think, hey that sounds extreme. Then when given rationale for something like cops, all of a sudden, cops is not the point or tv doesn't matter. Well apparently to some it does. And what I am not hearing are reasons why these challenges shouldn't be given consideration. Instead i am hearing, calls for moderation based on a caricature of one side as unreasonable because they are challenging things you feel or remember as benign.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Whaaaaat. The show has had some rough edges, and some seasons were less than stellar, but only one good season? Which one?
First one (my ex introduced me to the comics before the show was made).
Did he proceed to "dab" while rolling away on a "hoverboard"?
Don't get me started. Marty McFly rode on a hoverboard! Those things rolling around on wheels are NOT hoverboards! Do you know how disappointed I was when I learned what thse "hoverboards" are?:mad:
(I went on a long rant about how Im not old just because I was around for Bartmania)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

My thoughts on Paw Patrol is children should not be taught the police are trustable and their friend. They are not. If anything, kids should be taught to be cooperative and polite, but also very suspicious of the police.
And, while they're at it, the proven failure of "DARE to narc on your parents" needs to go. Instead, kids need to be taught how to conduct themselves when interacting with the police, including saying "I do not consent to a search without warrant" and asking "are you detaining me or am I free to go?" Those are lessons about cops kids need to learn.