• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OKay, let's dial it back.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
So COPS is getting cancelled, and apparently positive and wholesome depictions of cops are being criticized in cartoons, and supposedly networks are bending to pressure. Why? How does this help? Pretending that all cops are bad is just as toxic as pretending all protestors and activists are looters and vandals. It's petty, vindictive, and dishonest and solves nothing. It's the same mentality that has people labeling all conservatives racist fascists and liberals PC/SJW commies. It's same mentality that causes these problems in the first place. No nuances nor shades of gray. Everything is black or white and 2 dimensional. Your "side" isn't super heroes who are pure good, and the "other side" aren't super villains who are pure evil. Everyone needs to stop slurping boots.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
How does criticizing or calling for "Cops" to be cancelled automatically translate into saying all police are bad?

I have yet to hear any of the prominent activists who have been criticizing the program for years say any such nonsense. Their most frequent argument is that "Cops" misrepresents black people, fueling racism and the perception that police violence against blacks is justified.

Do you have a bone pick with that? If so, when in the 32 years that "Cops" has been on the air have they ever even once shown an unjustified arrest of a black person? Or do those things not happen in America? "Cops" paints a very one-sided and misleading view of the relationship between the police and the black community. The cops are always heroic and good. The blacks they arrest always deserve to be arrested.

But no wonder it paints such a pretty picture -- police departments get to review and veto its footage before that footage has a chance to air.

Rational Agnostic

How does criticizing or calling for "Cops" to be cancelled automatically translate into saying all police are bad?

I have yet to hear any of the prominent activists who have been criticizing the program for years say any such nonsense. Their most frequent argument is that "Cops" misrepresents black people, fueling racism and the perception that police violence against blacks is justified.

Do you have a bone pick with that? If so, when in the 32 years that "Cops" has been on the air have they ever even once shown an unjustified arrest of a black person? Or do those things not happen in America? "Cops" paints a very one-sided view of the relationship between the police and the black community.

I've never watched COPS so I don't know. But it's obvious that the media is negatively stereotyping police. Police are a necessary part of our society, and most are good people just trying to provide for themselves and their families and survive. It's a dangerous job and deserves respect, and I would be terrified of being targeted if I were a police officer right now and the fact that the media fans the flames of hatred against all cops is evil.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Do you have a bone pick with that? If so, when in the 32 years that "Cops" has been on the air have they ever even once shown an unjustified arrest of a black person? Or do those things not happen in America? "Cops" paints a very one-sided and misleading view of the relationship between the police and the black community. But no wonder it does -- police departments get to review and veto its footage before that footage has a chance to air.

I'm simply saying anger towards any and all things law enforcement overshoots the actual issues, creating more problems than it actually solves. You don't conduct surgery with a chainsaw. People slapping each other with broad brushes becomes a problematic tit-for-tat cycle.
I'm not saying COPS was without flaw, but the abrupt cancellation seems rather knee-jerk.

Rational Agnostic

So COPS is getting cancelled, and apparently positive and wholesome depictions of cops are being criticized in cartoons, and supposedly networks are bending to pressure. Why? How does this help? Pretending that all cops are bad is just as toxic as pretending all protestors and activists are looters and vandals. It's petty, vindictive, and dishonest and solves nothing. It's the same mentality that has people labeling all conservatives racist fascists and liberals PC/SJW commies. It's same mentality that causes these problems in the first place. No nuances nor shades of gray. Everything is black or white and 2 dimensional. Your "side" isn't super heroes who are pure good, and the "other side" aren't super villains who are pure evil. Everyone needs to stop slurping boots.

You're absolutely right. This moronic behavior is why Trump got elected, and why he's gonna get elected again if they keep it up. By the way, I don't support Trump. But I have been called "Trumpyboi" by a certain member of this forum who thinks I support Trump because I disagree with *some* of what his opponents support. This is another example of the vindictive, black and white behavior that is becoming more common on both sides.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
You're absolutely right. This moronic behavior is why Trump got elected, and why he's gonna get elected again if they keep it up. By the way, I don't support Trump. But I have been called "Trumpyboi" by a certain member of this forum who thinks I support Trump because I disagree with *some* of what his opponents support. This is another example of the vindictive, black and white behavior that is becoming more common on both sides.

Yet Trump is himself routinely guilty of this very sort of behavior. Make no mistake; he and his administration are a raging dumpster fire.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm simply saying anger towards any and all things law enforcement overshoots the actual issues, creating more problems than it actually solves. You don't conduct surgery with a chainsaw. People slapping each other with broad brushes becomes a problematic tit-for-tat cycle.
I'm not saying COP was without flaw, but the abrupt cancellation seems rather knee-jerk.

It is my impression you were using the anger of activists in the black community at "Cops" as an example of unjustified anger towards all law enforcement officers and departments when that does not happen to be the case. The anger of the activists at "Cops" is more intelligently focused than that. But if I have misunderstood you, I apologize.

The "abrupt cancellation" is 32 years late. The damage has already been done.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It is my impression you were using the anger of activists in the black community at "Cops" as an example of unjustified anger towards all law enforcement officers and departments when that does not happen to be the case. The anger of the activists at "Cops" is more intelligently focused than that. But if I have misunderstood you, I apologize.

I was just looking at the reactions towards police in media as a whole. Apparently, Paw Patrol (a cartoon for young children) was the target of criticism because of the talking police dog who drives around in a little police car. When I heard this I was hoping it was satire, but apparently some see a need to "banish the good-cop archetype."

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I'm not saying COPS was without flaw, but the abrupt cancellation seems rather knee-jerk.
I don't watch much TV, especially not that sort of thing. About the only police show I ever watch is Bluebloods, which I'm well aware is fiction.

But I can't help believe that the producers of Cops are driven entirely by money. If the ratings fall, the show gets axed. If the general social attitudes cause whatever show follows Cops to lose ratings(because people turn the channel away from Cops and don't turn back afterwards), the show is doomed.
But it's all about the money.
Tom

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I was just looking at the reactions towards police in media as a whole. Apparently, Paw Patrol (a cartoon for young children) was the target of criticism because of the talking police dog who drives around in a little police car. When I heard this I was hoping it was satire, but apparently some see a need to "banish the good-cop archetype."
It's like when Lego said they were temporarily halting advertisments for some sets, including police sets. People got upset when they heard it was only temporary, thinking they were permanently pulling them out of production.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The show has been useful, but primarily (IMO) in showing illegal behavior by cops.
Cops (TV program) - Wikipedia
Here's another reality cop show recently cancelled....
Live PD - Wikipedia
It's had some controversy for making private info public,
humiliating people, & coercing them into allowing videos
of them to be shown.

Btw, I've only heard of these shows & their problems in the
news. I have better things to watch, eg, reruns of Seinfeld,
The Simpsons, pro wrestling.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I've never watched COPS so I don't know. But it's obvious that the media is negatively stereotyping police. Police are a necessary part of our society, and most are good people just trying to provide for themselves and their families and survive. It's a dangerous job and deserves respect, and I would be terrified of being targeted if I were a police officer right now and the fact that the media fans the flames of hatred against all cops is evil.

I think the actual situation is much more nuanced and complex than you are representing it.

To keep things simple by selecting just one detail out of thousands of details that could be selected, what do you make of the role of police unions in protecting criminal cops?

How do you view their lobbying for and getting rules that make it extraordinarily hard to successfully prosecute even those cops who have murdered people? For example, what about the rule adopted by some departments at the urging of their unions that prevents cops who kill from being immediately interviewed before they have time to cook up an airtight story? Do you think such a rule argues for your view that just about all cops are good? Or is the actual situation more nuanced that "just about all cops are good" or "just about all cops are bad"?

I think you are looking at this situation in more or less black and white terms without you actually realizing that is what you are doing. "Evil media" vs. "Mostly good cops".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is it knee jerking or are they waking up to the deleterious effects of the show?
I don't know.
Could be both, since it would take more than one person to decide on cancellation.

Rational Agnostic

I think the actual situation is much more nuanced and complex than you are representing it.

To keep things simple by selecting just one detail out of thousands of details that could be selected, what do you make of role of police unions in protection criminal cops?

How do you view their lobbying for and getting rules that make it extraordinarily hard to successful prosecute even those cops who have murdered people? For example, what about the rule adopted by some departments at the urging of their unions that prevents cops who kill from being immediately interviewed before they have time to cook up an airtight story? Do you think such a rule argues for your view that just about all cops are good? Or is the actual situation more nuanced that "just about all cops are good" or "just about all cops are bad"?

I think you are looking at this situation in more or less black and white terms without you actually realizing that is what you are doing. "Evil media" vs. "Mostly good cops".

I think cops should be required to buy insurance and pay premiums that are based on their degree of aggression against citizens. If they get a lot of complaints about excessive force, their premiums will go up, and if they kill someone (even if it can't be proven to be murder), they will likely become uninsurable and at the very least forced to lose their jobs. That is how I would deal with it.

But yeah, I do think it's evil to imply that most cops are bad for a couple of reasons. It will make good cops justifiably scared for their lives because people will be more likely to attack them. And if cops feel threatened/attacked, they're going to be more aggressive. So it's bad no matter how you look at it. I say we should implement the insurance idea.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think cops should be required to buy insurance and pay premiums that are based on their degree of aggression against citizens. If they get a lot of complaints about excessive force, their premiums will go up, and if they kill someone (even if it can't be proven to be murder), they will likely become uninsurable and at the very least forced to lose their jobs. That is how I would deal with it.

But yeah, I do think it's evil to imply that most cops are bad for a couple of reasons. It will make good cops justifiably scared for their lives because people will be more likely to attack them. And if cops feel threatened/attacked, they're going to be more aggressive. So it's bad no matter how you look at it. I say we should implement the insurance idea.

Offhand, the insurance idea strikes me as a step in the right direction.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

That's creative (hence the fruble), but I think the entire police
organization of the local government should be liable. They'd
buy the insurance, which would give them incentive to manage
their workforce in a manner minimizing liability for wrongful acts.

retending that all cops are bad is just as toxic as pretending all protestors and activists are looters and vandals. It's petty, vindictive, and dishonest and solves nothing.

tsdcoluec008134249-300x450.jpg

Fascist prick... ACAB!

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
That's creative (hence the fruble), but I think the entire police
organization of the local government should be liable. They'd
buy the insurance, which would give them incentive to manage
their workforce in a manner minimizing liability for wrongful acts.
This looks more like job security for torte lawyers to me.

I can picture the late night TV ads.
"Did your arrest result in damage to your self esteem?
YOU NEED THE HAMMER!
Find out what your case is worth by calling the number at the bottom of your screen."
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wonder how The Shield will fare in syndication?
For those unfamiliar, it had good cops & bad cops....really bad cops.
It showed innocent people being killed on purpose.
Adam 12 or CHIPS it was not.
In this finale, Vic confesses to some crimes in exchange for immunity.
He's never prosecuted.
His confession starts at 1:45.