• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New research shows we have underestimated both the scope and the scale of animal intelligence

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
BTW if you feel that animals "understand" and exhibit human love, then they must "understand" and exhibit human hate. If this is the case do we now need to decide if animals that kill human are doing this deliberately? Do we need to try them? Read them their rights? How about crows that steal shiny things? Do we have to arrest them?
Lol
You seem to be overly concerned with the "human" part of your "argument".

Do you understand canine love? Canine hate?

What makes you think, other than your obvious bias because you are a human, that "human" love is the be all end all of love?

Still no of you have produced one shred of evidence that animals have awareness like humans. There has been a lot of speculation and fairy tales but no proof. You can do better.
Why would anyone be arguing that animals have human awareness?
That is your strawman.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Humans exist. They do not simply live from day-today. They plan. They reason. They discuss. They create such things as complex and multi-layered societies, inspired works of art, and exhaustive languages. They have hope for the future and respect for the past. They are aware.

I can only assume you haven't actually met that many human beings.

Alceste

Vagabond
The difference is that I would make a conscience decision to eat the dog. I would also would add a few onions and green peppers when I sauteed the beast.

BTW if you feel that animals "understand" and exhibit human love, then they must "understand" and exhibit human hate. If this is the case do we now need to decide if animals that kill human are doing this deliberately? Do we need to try them? Read them their rights? How about crows that steal shiny things? Do we have to arrest them?

Still no of you have produced one shred of evidence that animals have awareness like humans. There has been a lot of speculation and fairy tales but no proof. You can do better.

Nobody but you is arguing that animals have "human" love, hate, etc. Dogs feel dog love, horses feel horse love, elephants feel elephant love, etc. They're using the same basic equipment we are to produce those feelings, so it's ignorant to assume there are no similarities at all, but nobody is claiming they're exactly the same.

There is loads of evidence. Seems you either haven't been reading or watching the links, our haven't been understanding the implications of what you've read.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I guess? So an elephant can use a stick, will that species ever design an deep well system to keep from dying of thirst in Africa?

.................thus lowering the water-table further, causing a need for re-boring, and drying other waterholes up that previously had been available. We can be really thick, sometimes.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I think some people tend to confuse intelligence with instinct when it comes to animals. Intelligence can only come from self-awareness. Self-awareness is, among other things, realizing who or at least what you are in relation to your world. I've never seen anything that suggests any lower animal has displayed self-awareness. Therefore the only animals that have shown what passes as human intelligence are found in Disney movies.

Please excuse me underlining your post.....

Our world has suffered from serious over fishing.
Our world has suffered from serious deforestation.
Our world has suffered from serious air pollution.
Our world has suffered from serious and unnecessary wars.
Our world has suffered from serious financial chaos.
Our world has suffered from .............. us.
And on and on.

We are not intelligent. We are very very thick.

WyattDerp

Yeah, but we can constantly move goalposts in interwebs forums. Dolphins cannot do that. Therefore dolphins do not understand human love. They also don't know anything about irrigating deserts.

It really makes me sick to think how many animals look down on us, when they don't even know what year it is, or who is president, or anything normal and useful.

Alceste

Vagabond
Please excuse me underlining your post.....

Our world has suffered from serious over fishing.
Our world has suffered from serious deforestation.
Our world has suffered from serious air pollution.
Our world has suffered from serious and unnecessary wars.
Our world has suffered from serious financial chaos.
Our world has suffered from .............. us.
And on and on.

That's for sure. We're so bad at being intelligent we don't even try to control our own reproduction for the long term benefit of our species. It just grows sizable enough to consume all the available resources in our habitat, just like every other animal.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Nobody but you is arguing that animals have "human" love, hate, etc. Dogs feel dog love, horses feel horse love, elephants feel elephant love, etc. They're using the same basic equipment we are to produce those feelings, so it's ignorant to assume there are no similarities at all, but nobody is claiming they're exactly the same.
He needs a dog. And one that will jump in his arms and on his lap, lick his face all over, and especially one that will cuddle with him. Next then he'll know he'll be able to tell when his dog knows she or he has done something wrong because there is something not quiet right about the dog's behavior.

Alceste

Vagabond
He needs a dog. And that will jump in his arms and on his lap, lick his face all over, and especially one that will cuddle with him. Next then he'll know he'll be able to tell when his dog knows she or he has done something wrong because they are not acting quiet right when you get home.

Omg, that reminds me.

[youtube]B8ISzf2pryI[/youtube]
YouTube

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Yeah, but we can constantly move goalposts in interwebs forums. Dolphins cannot do that. Therefore dolphins do not understand human love. They also don't know anything about irrigating deserts.

It really makes me sick to think how many animals look down on us, when they don't even know what year it is, or who is president, or anything normal and useful.

Hi..... Wot?

Hang on........ Humans (you and me) don't understand Dolphin love!
Humans (me and you) wouldn't need to irrigate deserts if they had the sense to stop breeding!
Of course lots of animals look down on us........ all them birds, for a start, and a few giraffes.:D
Who bloody cares who your President is? Who is it now....... um....
I think animals are very smart....... humans can be daft. Mrs Badger would tell you straight off that I'm daft, but she still loves me......:D

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
That's for sure. We're so bad at being intelligent we don't even try to control our own reproduction for the long term benefit of our species. It just grows sizable enough to consume all the available resources in our habitat, just like every other animal.

Yes! > :yes: <
We must stop breeding........ or in the case of Whitstable (just down the road) they need to stop reproducing. (All mongrels in Whitstable)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Often times the level of intelligence displayed by humans depresses me. It is well known, I thought, higher mammals remember, plan, choose...

Some people seem never to have watched a wildlife documentary, watched the news or shared a home with non human companions.

Animals don't show self awareness? Jesus save me, we're doomed.

Alceste

Vagabond
Hi..... Wot?

Hang on........ Humans (you and me) don't understand Dolphin love!
Humans (me and you) wouldn't need to irrigate deserts if they had the sense to stop breeding!
Of course lots of animals look down on us........ all them birds, for a start, and a few giraffes.:D
Who bloody cares who your President is? Who is it now....... um....
I think animals are very smart....... humans can be daft. Mrs Badger would tell you straight off that I'm daft, but she still loves me......:D

But how do you know it's HUMAN love? :D

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Frankly, human love seems rather inferior to the love of many other species, so I wouldn't aggrandize it too much.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Omg, that reminds me.

[youtube]B8ISzf2pryI[/youtube]
YouTube
Must have just been my imagination that I could tell by the way the dog was sitting, head down, and the way the dog's tail was wagging all let me know the dog was guilty as soon as the dog was on camera. The first dog though, that was a look of innocence. But it must just have been something abnormal that we would see the first dog not really caring about the cat treat bag, but the second dog was really showing admission of guilt and remorse.

Last edited: