• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Neighbor boys peep at my scantily clad daughters. Should I have them cover up?"

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Yeah... I'm pretty sure the boys in question have no objection to the "scanty" clothing!

No doubt the father had a long hard look at the scantaly clad jezabells just to get a full appreciation of how much they were corrupting his boys.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Just to clear up who's who (seems to be some confusion as to who is dad and who is Mike).

Title: TEMPTATION IN PARADISE
a moral dilemma

Setting: Tranquil suburban neighborhood

Time: Now.

The Characters

Family A: A normal, well adjusted family
Dad
Wife
Wonderful, teenage, scantily clad daughter 1.
Wonderful, teenage, scantily clad daughter 2.

Family B: A morally crippled, dysfunctional family
Morally uptight Mike with issues
Morally uptight Mary married to Mike
Sexually suppressed horny sons
Sexually suppressed sweltering daughters.

Act 1
Scene 1

(throbbing music )
Two boys are peering out of their bedroom window at a couple of scantly clad teenage girls working in their yard next door.

Enter: Mike, red with rage.

Mike

What the &^$*#@(&^#$ #*%@(+_^$&%@$^^#^**&@!#*$%

Last edited:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
The following is from the "Advice on Manners and Morals" column by By Emily Yoffe.

Take a look at it and tell me what you think the dad should do and why.

Prudence's answer is in the link, but try answering before looking at it.

Thanks.
Dear Prudence,
I am a married man with two wonderful teenage daughters living in a tranquil suburban neighborhood. A few months ago a nice couple, "Mike" and "Mary," moved in next door along with their eight children. The family is devoutly Christian. The children are home-schooled, well-behaved, and reserved; and the girls dress modestly. Our families have dined together and get along well. As part of their chores, my daughters do most of the yard work. It's hot here much of the year, and they typically wear short shorts and tank tops or bikini tops. The other day Mike said he wanted us to have a "serious" discussion and told me he caught his boys watching my girls from a bedroom window. He asked if I could please have my girls not wear such revealing clothing if they're going to be outside, as he is trying to protect his kids from "certain elements of the world" and doesn't want them influenced by "overly sexualized displays." When I told my wife and daughters, they were offended. Is it unreasonable to ask my daughters to cover up a bit? I've had problems with difficult neighbors in the past and feel sometimes it is necessary to make small sacrifices in order to keep the peace. My wife thinks I should kindly tell Mike to shove it. What should I do?

—Neighborly Dad
source
I have to agree with the wife.

MissAlice

The following is from the "Advice on Manners and Morals" column by By Emily Yoffe.

Take a look at it and tell me what you think the dad should do and why.

Prudence's answer is in the link, but try answering before looking at it.

Thanks.
Dear Prudence,
I am a married man with two wonderful teenage daughters living in a tranquil suburban neighborhood. A few months ago a nice couple, "Mike" and "Mary," moved in next door along with their eight children. The family is devoutly Christian. The children are home-schooled, well-behaved, and reserved; and the girls dress modestly. Our families have dined together and get along well. As part of their chores, my daughters do most of the yard work. It's hot here much of the year, and they typically wear short shorts and tank tops or bikini tops. The other day Mike said he wanted us to have a "serious" discussion and told me he caught his boys watching my girls from a bedroom window. He asked if I could please have my girls not wear such revealing clothing if they're going to be outside, as he is trying to protect his kids from "certain elements of the world" and doesn't want them influenced by "overly sexualized displays." When I told my wife and daughters, they were offended. Is it unreasonable to ask my daughters to cover up a bit? I've had problems with difficult neighbors in the past and feel sometimes it is necessary to make small sacrifices in order to keep the peace. My wife thinks I should kindly tell Mike to shove it. What should I do?

—Neighborly Dad
source

You know there's a good phrase as to why neighbors should never get too friendly and that is "Good fences make good neighbors." From first hand experience I have had similar episodes with neighbors when it comes to not setting limitations. Some neighbors think that if "you're family" so to speak, they can tell you what to do.

I agree with the wife however I wouldn't tell Mike that. A neighbor or any person has no right to tell another person what to do unless it is encroaching on their personal freedom. Naturally boys will look at girls even girls who are often dressed modestly. It is typical for the opposite sex to get curious and oogle at the other sex especially at their age. In my honest opinion, I think the husband should cool all ties with their neighbors. That doesn't necessarily mean he should be mean to them but forget about dining or whatever. These people have no business telling other people how to live their life.

Skwim

Veteran Member
As for the point of continuing a relationship with Mike and Mary.
"[Mike] asked if I could please have my girls not wear such revealing clothing if they're going to be outside, as he is trying to protect his kids from "certain elements of the world" and doesn't want them influenced by "overly sexualized displays."
I would have said, "No I won't," and then let Mike decide if he wanted to continue the friendship as it was.

I'm with the wife on this one. Nobody is going to tell me or my family how to dress, or otherwise run our lives. My freedom comes first, and nobody is going to take that from me. Not a Christian, not a Muslim. Nobody.

Acim

Revelation all the time
If Mike is really 'just asking,' then I'm not with wife if attitude is really 'shove it.' Without a picture of how scantily clad the daughters are, it is hard (that's what she said) to give informed opinion. If it were me, I'd want to discuss things with Mike, up to a point and come to some agreement. Though obviously Dad and wife have to be on same page to make things work all the way around. Daughters can be offended all they want, but in world we live in, tough tooties if they disagree with Dad and wife's position.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
If its not these two girls, its going to be other girls who dress similar. I think the father of the boys should use the opportunity to teach the boys about self control and reasons why morality is good and what benefits they will derive from it. He needs to give them reasons to control sexual desire.

there is no way any parent is going to be able to prevent their kids from seeing scantily clad girls...its what girls are wearing.
At the same time, i think the father of the girls has an opportunity to teach his girls a lesson too. They need to take responsibility for the way they dress because they just dont know who is watchign them. Im sure if it was a dirty old man coming to have a perv, their father would be rushing them into the house and making them cover up quick smart.

So I think they all have a responsibility to do the right thing. I wouldnt let my girls wear that sort of clothing because I dont want them being looked at that way by anyone. And I teach my teenage son to respect females and when something comes on television which is sexual, i use it as an opportunity to teach him something about boy/girl relationships. But I put some responsibility on his shoulders because It is not just the girls who are the problem. They are not temptresses as some like to say. Men are far more overtly sexual then females...the temptation comes from within so those who are feeling tempted need to get control of themselves to some degree.

So basically i think both parents need to take action. Yes the girls should definitely cover up a bit, and the boys should be educated about sexuality and their feelings toward it.

Skwim

Veteran Member
If Mike is really 'just asking,' then I'm not with wife if attitude is really 'shove it.'
The wife was probably upset with what she considered an affront to her family's moral character and an attempt to change their attitude instead of neighbor Mike changing his.

Without a picture of how scantily clad the daughters are, it is hard (that's what she said) to give informed opinion.
Err. Okay.

unlulerin-giydigi-bayan-sort-modelleri.jpg

Short shorts and tank top

swim-shorts-woman.jpg

Short shorts and bikini top

If it were me, I'd want to discuss things with Mike, up to a point and come to some agreement. Though obviously Dad and wife have to be on same page to make things work all the way around. Daughters can be offended all they want, but in world we live in, tough tooties if they disagree with Dad and wife's position.
But it appears mom and dad side with the girls. Yet, I assume if you were in that situation you'd be willing to tell the girls they couldn't dress as they wanted, but would have to dress in a way acceptable to Mike and Mary. Interesting.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The daughters should be given a medal for public service in recognition of their beautifying the neighborhood with their scantily clad bodies.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So I think they all have a responsibility to do the right thing. I wouldnt let my girls wear that sort of clothing because I dont want them being looked at that way by anyone.
Clothing doesn't really have anything to do with it. As long as a woman is recognizeable as a woman, guys will be able to find her attractive.

Speaking for myself, on more than one occasion in the past, I've looked at a Muslim woman in a hijab, with everything but her face and hands covered, and thought "yow - she's hot."

For an example of what I'm talking about, consider actress Sitara Hewitt, and what she'd typically wear on Little Mosque on the Prairie vs. what she wore when she was on the game show You Bet Your ***:

sitarahewitt1.jpg

(actually, the YBYA picture is tamer than what she'd typically wear on the show - she tended to wear a lot of very short miniskirts)

Here's the thing: she's hot either way. She'd have to wear a tent-shaped burlap sack with a paper bag over her head before guys wouldn't realize that she's a beautiful woman.

At least for someone like me, the only thing that will make sure that a guy will never, ever look at you this way is to cover yourself up to the point where people can't tell which gender you are.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Clothing doesn't really have anything to do with it. As long as a woman is recognizeable as a woman, guys will be able to find her attractive.

Here's the thing: she's hot either way. She'd have to wear a tent-shaped burlap sack with a paper bag over her head before guys wouldn't realize that she's a beautiful woman.

At least for someone like me, the only thing that will make sure that a guy will never, ever look at you this way is to cover yourself up to the point where people can't tell which gender you are.

this is true, women are beautiful no matter what they are wearing. But the type of clothing they wear says something about how they view themselves and either way, their clothing is going to draw attention to themselves.

I guess it depends on who's attention, or the sort of attention, you want to attract. A man is more likely to respect you if you have respect for yourself first.